F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Gasoline in Diesel question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gasoline in Diesel question?

HI,
A buddy of mine got about a half tank of gas unknowingly, in his 2006 F250 6.0 Powerstroke, at a convenience store pump, their underground diesel tank was filled with gas by mistake evidently, anyway, he only drove it about 2 miles into work and it started acting up, it was towed to Ford dealership, and they are telling him $1200 to $5500 to fix. I can't hardly believe it hurt it no farther than he drove it. Although the gas station will ultimatly be liable for any damages caused, that could take forever. My question is, would draining the tank and flushing the lines and filters out, and filling up with new diesel be enough to take care of it.
Thanks

Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gasoline will wreck the injectors in a 6.0 liter Powerstroke in short order.

Hope your buddy gets things squared away between the dealer and the gas station.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Just draining the system may work but like quintin said it probably hurt the injectors. Since its not your buddies fault and hes not paying for it i say let Ford replace as many parts as they want, he deserves to have his truck fixed 100% and back to the way it was before this happened. You dont want to let the gas station off easy and have it cost him more of his own money down the road.

-Jon

Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 AM
If he drove it long enough to where it started acting up then some damage has occured. At minimum the injectors should be replaced as some scoring to the barrels and plungers most likely occured. Damage to the fuel pump was probably done as well due to the lack of lubricity. The fuel pumps aren't cheap, and injectors are around $200 a piece. The fuel station will probably require an inspection of the engine. Unfortunetly it may be hard to determine the full extent of the problems, but overall the injectors and pump life span was shortened. The station will probably not want to pay for them as they will still work for now. He'll have to fight to get them replaced, but I would not want to keep that truck for the long run with the current parts.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Gas in diesel update (good news)

Hey guys, I just got back form helping my buddy haul his truck home, and we pumped all of the fuel/gas mixture out if the tank that we could with an electric fuel pump, and we also changed both filters, then filled tank with fresh diesel, and some conditioner, she rattled and smoked for about 30 seconds, and came out of it, and is running fine now.

Thanks for the help, Ford dealer wanted $1200 to do what we did in about 21/2 hours

Old 10-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtracefan
Hey guys, I just got back form helping my buddy haul his truck home, and we pumped all of the fuel/gas mixture out if the tank that we could with an electric fuel pump, and we also changed both filters, then filled tank with fresh diesel, and some conditioner, she rattled and smoked for about 30 seconds, and came out of it, and is running fine now.

Thanks for the help, Ford dealer wanted $1200 to do what we did in about 21/2 hours
Ten bucks say it won't be running fine for long. It doesn't take a lot to damage those injectors.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Ten bucks say it won't be running fine for long. It doesn't take a lot to damage those injectors.

Exactly. Gas has no lubricity and the components, mainly the fuel pump and injectors, rely HEAVILY on that lubricity. Take that away and they will eat themselves up in short order. As stated, it may be running now, but that is not a truck I would touch with a 10ft pole. The injectors and fuel pump should be replaced as they are now a ticking time bomb given the amount of gas that was run through them. Your buddy is SOL here.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:11 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Even if it was a stick and optioned just like what I have now, I wouldn't buy it.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: Gasoline in Diesel question?