F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

v-10 or diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
If you're not gonna work the truck hard and beat the **** out of it regularly, you will run into problems further on down the road with the diesel.

Especially if you're one of those malicted folks that bolts tuners and exhausts on them and such. 'Cause know this: You may get hassled a bit and bullchitted a lot with modifications on a gas engine truck. But Ford will shut you down quick-fast-and-in-a-hurry with modifications on a diesel for warranty concerns.

Buy the diesel 'cause you need the power and torque. Don't buy it 'cause it sounds cool, it gets better fuel mileage (which it may or may not), don't buy it 'cause you want to get sideways in 4 wheel hi on 38" tires or any other stupid reasons like that. And if you do buy it for any reasons other than to tow and to work, don't bitch when it's down in the shop for repairs.

The FORD V10 is a joke the only V10 worthwhile mentioning is the old Dodge V10 and their 500hp monster 8.3 V10. Power Vs Power 6.0 PSD is the way to go screw that puny V10. Some of you people here really do lack imagination V10 in a F250/F350 hell even in the F53 MH chassis is a JOKE!!

Old 11-11-2006, 09:33 PM
i didn't start this to bash the diesel or the v-10. if i wanted an opinion on the dodge v-10 i would have gone to the dodge site. this is my second ford v-10 with no complaints. if i wanted a fast v-10 i would the bmw m5.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 PM
i didn't start this to bash the diesel or the v-10. if i wanted an opinion on the dodge v-10, i would have gone to the dodge site. this is my second ford v-10 with no complaints. if i wanted a fast v-10 i would the bmw m5.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM
i didn't start this to bash the diesel or the v-10. if i wanted an opinion on the dodge v-10, i would have gone to the dodge site. this is my second ford v-10 with no complaints. if i wanted a fast v-10 i would buy the bmw m5.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSport1985
The FORD V10 is a joke the only V10 worthwhile mentioning is the old Dodge V10 and their 500hp monster 8.3 V10. Power Vs Power 6.0 PSD is the way to go screw that puny V10. Some of you people here really do lack imagination V10 in a F250/F350 hell even in the F53 MH chassis is a JOKE!!
What part of "if you aren't going to work the truck hard, don't get the diesel" did you not understand?

Old 11-11-2006, 09:38 PM
oops

Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I don't know why people get so upset about a truck weather it's a Ford ,Dodge or a Chevy! I have owned them all. But for me my F350 is the best truck I have owned to this date. The Diesel is wonderful I know that some have died but they are fixing the problem. The V-10 Is a work horse. If I wanted speed I would have bought a GT-40 but I didn't I wanted a truck. There are faster trucks out there but I like mine! I had a 1998 F250 5.4 and it was not stock it ran!!! so did the gas but it was fun. One day a fire took it away from me. People ask me why did you buy another Ford? Well that next day I went to a Dodge dealer and test drove a truck then I went to a Chevy dealer and test drove one and last I went to a ford dealer WOW I purchased a 2005 F350 what a nice truck. Ford has it hands down over the rest. Just remember when you purchase a 45,000 dollar truck you better like it.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:26 AM
What part of "if you aren't going to work the truck hard, don't get the diesel" did you not understand?
What part ???

One of you guys said get the V10 you will regret getting a PSD. If you need power the PSD is the way to go BUCKO! C O M P R E N D E S ! ! ! !

Old 11-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by skirk55
I don't know why people get so upset about a truck weather it's a Ford ,Dodge or a Chevy! I have owned them all. But for me my F350 is the best truck I have owned to this date. The Diesel is wonderful I know that some have died but they are fixing the problem. The V-10 Is a work horse. If I wanted speed I would have bought a GT-40 but I didn't I wanted a truck. There are faster trucks out there but I like mine! I had a 1998 F250 5.4 and it was not stock it ran!!! so did the gas but it was fun. One day a fire took it away from me. People ask me why did you buy another Ford? Well that next day I went to a Dodge dealer and test drove a truck then I went to a Chevy dealer and test drove one and last I went to a ford dealer WOW I purchased a 2005 F350 what a nice truck. Ford has it hands down over the rest. Just remember when you purchase a 45,000 dollar truck you better like it.
See thats the thing people need to get whatever floats there boat and then not come back here whining man I have no power should have gotten a diesel or what have you. My rule is get the biggest baddest engine available on your vehivle never settle for less and then regret it.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:02 PM

He still doesn't 'get it'.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Kool Aid

He still doesn't 'get it'.

Oh I understand but his arguement is pointless.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:23 PM

Oh I understand but his arguement is pointless.
My argument makes perfectly good sense.

People who buy diesels and use 'em to putter back and forth to work, don't run 'em hard, don't let 'em reach full operating temperature, will have more problems than folks who tow and haul regularly. This is a simple fact.

So, would you rather have a diesel powered truck that spends more time torn down in the shop than on the road because you didn't use it the way it was intended to be used, or would you rather have a gas engined truck that besides having lower maintenance costs and a lower initial purchase price, will be much more tolerant of the driving habits of 80-90% of typical owners (i.e., stop and go driving, extended idling, not reaching full operating temperature, etc.)?

Buy the diesel if you need it. Don't buy it if you don't. Either engine will pull whatever the owner realistically wants to - need more? Buy a bigger truck.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM
My argument makes perfectly good sense.

People who buy diesels and use 'em to putter back and forth to work, don't run 'em hard, don't let 'em reach full operating temperature, will have more problems than folks who tow and haul regularly. This is a simple fact.

So, would you rather have a diesel powered truck that spends more time torn down in the shop than on the road because you didn't use it the way it was intended to be used, or would you rather have a gas engined truck that besides having lower maintenance costs and a lower initial purchase price, will be much more tolerant of the driving habits of 80-90% of typical owners (i.e., stop and go driving, extended idling, not reaching full operating temperature, etc.)?

Buy the diesel if you need it. Don't buy it if you don't. Either engine will pull whatever the owner realistically wants to - need more? Buy a bigger truck.

Is it to my understanding that people in the south have problems with PSD 6.0?????

Old 11-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Is it to my understanding that people in the south have problems with PSD 6.0?????
Nothing out of the ordinary that I'm aware of. Diesels just aren't very tolerant of leading an easy-go lifestyle.

Old 11-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Talking

People who buy diesels and use 'em to putter back and forth to work, don't run 'em hard, don't let 'em reach full operating temperature, will have more problems than folks who tow and haul regularly.
And that describes about 85% of non-fleet diesel owners. Folks buy them because they're the "biggest and baddest" and most expensive engine offered in light pickups. Most end up being high-dollar pavement queens that yuppies drive for status symbols.

And to the expert who made the lame attempt to claim Dodge's old 8.0L V10 was superior to Ford's V10, do some research before making such a goofy claim. A 2V 6.8L V10 will easily out-accelerate a Dodge V10 towing and unloaded and gets better mileage to boot.

Truck Trend and other truck mags did a few tests comparing some 6.8L Fords, V10 Dodges and some GM 8.1Ls and whaddaya know?? The Dodge finished waaaaay last towing/uloaded o-60 and quarter mile every time. Check out some truck mag website archives if you don't believe me. Myneighbor has a 2000 V10 Ram and it's a t-u-r-d. Can't get out of it's own way and gets 10mpg highway.

Dodge quit making that POS for a reason and now the biggest motor they offer in an HD pickup is the mighty 5.7L....it's a real beast for a tow engine too, ain't it!!

Quick Reply: v-10 or diesel