F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Newbie Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Plz help

I am a new diesel owner and not really certain about maintenance and was hoping for some help. A little about my truck '05 F-250 4x4, 4" lift, 35/60/R20 Toyo A/T Tires, 4" MBRP Cat Backed Exhaust, AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Intake, Edge Juice (Platinum) w/ Attitude. I live In Northern California

Recommended Motor Oil, Fuel Additive? How often should I change the fuel filter? Any helpful info appreciated.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:44 AM
recommended oil is 15W40 unless towing or in cold climate, don't remember the rating, I am using 10W30 Amsoil right now as its cold and I tow. I use power service (Diesel Kleen) diesel fuel additive every second tank. Fuel filters every second oil change for which for me is 15000miles. It is all in the owners manual.
Didn't you get an owners manual with your truck?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 PM
I would suggest you stick with 15W40 oil as opposed to a lighter weight, unless you live in Alaska. I have never had a problem with my oil even in temps around 0 or less.

For fuel conditioners I stick with the Powerservice brand, but I stay the hell away from Diesel Kleen in the gray bottle. Either the white bottle or the 911 in the red are going to way more for you. I used to run the white bottle year round in every tank, but was never super impressed by what it did. It did help the truck run a tad smoother, but marginally. Diesel Kleen actually hurt my mileage when I ran it. I recently switched to 911 in the red bottle. Since doing that my mileage has gone up significantly. Just driving a round trip from PA to IA I logged around 15mpg on the trip out on the white bottle. On the return trip I logged 16-17mpg with the only change being the 911 service. This was also on winter fuel, and the mileage is higher than I've ever seen on my truck with that blend. The best was after all the ULSD was flushed out and I had pure LSD in the tank and I squeaked out almost 18mpg with that tank.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 AM
powerstroke73, I use the stuff in the white bottle with anti gel (comes in a 4L jug), I have never even seen a gray bottle of the stuff. I have also not seen any increase in mileage, use it more for piece of mind hoping to keep the injectors clean and of course it has anti-gel. It does get to -40F around here, I should be running 5W30 or 5W40 according to the owners manual to help with starting. Curious as to who makes 911 red? what is it? Is it a cetane booster with antigel and where do find it? Might have to try it out.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:59 AM
http://www.powerservice.com/

I have heard people use the Red bottle if you are partially gelled up, and running rough. Pour it in when it's barely running, and have heard it will get you running as if you weren't gelled up.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Hmm, I'll have to look at my white bottle of Powerservice. I could have sworn it was not called Diesel Kleen. The gray bottle I know is called Diesel Kleen, but its only a cetane boost with no antigel. I used to run the white bottle for the reasons you mentioned. The 911 is made by Powerservice and is sold at pretty much every truck stop, farm store, and large automotive chain stores. I usually pick up a 96oz bottle at the truck stop when I'm there for fuel. Usually runs about $18 or so. The 911 is a stronger antigel for when the fuel has already started gelling. It also has a higher cetane rating than the white bottle.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Enough is Enough Already
its alot cheaper to change the oil yourself!

Quick Reply: Newbie Plz help