F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Programmer Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is good advice and well taken. Thank you.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
No there are still traces of the programmer left deep in the memory of the PCM. The tech will have to dig to find them as it will not be evident. There will also be "gaps" in the memory logs. That itself will not flat out say there was a programmer, but its pretty close. If you have a high dollar warranty claim and the dealership or auditor feels it could have been caused by a programmer they will dig deep into the PCM and will eventually find the traces.

Bottom line, if you have a warranty and you want to keep it even in the slightest way, then don't mod your engine. Anything you do to it can void the warranty since you're changing its original parameters. And nobody start crying the Magnusson/Moss Act, because thats a load of BS. It doesn't apply to aftermarket upgrades. It applies mainly to OEM replacement parts. It says that if you replace an alternator with one from Autozone, Ford can't void your warranty. If you put a chip/intake/exhaust/turbo/etc on there your warranty goes poof. Its the old phrase, you gotta pay to play.
Agree and yes good advice but I have to ask this. So in your opinion do you think that ID or Troyer can over boost? They both have a lot of experince in this area and both say that they can "safely" add more power and economy.

I had Troyer tunes on my F150 and they were incredible. I have a single tune for my F250 PSD now and it seems pretty safe to me. I have never seen the turbo go crazy.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread b/c it is good info. I have no problem keeping my truck in stock mode bu the street tune is sure fun.....

Old 01-26-2007, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE][So in your opinion do you think that ID or Troyer can over boost? /QUOTE]

With my ID street tune, the boost is actually lower than stock. Around 21psi at WOT. Stock runs upwards of 26-28psi of boost at WOT. I cannot explain it as well as ID explained it to me, from what I understand the boost is not directly controlled by the tune but is controlled based on fueling. Cylinder pressure is the biggest factor in causing the more common head gasket and puking issues.

A blanket statement of having your entire warranty voided when you mod your truck isn't entirely accurate either, if you change your exhaust, they can't deny warranty on a tranny failure. If you smoke a turbo after changing exhaust and your dealer isn't friendly to exhaust systems, they may have a case on voiding the repair.

Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
This has me very pissed now! I was going to eliminate my muffler this spring but now I read that my warranty will be voided. Now I'm scared I installed a CB Radio what part of the warranty did I void?

Old 01-26-2007, 05:58 PM
The muffler is fine, the dealer would have to be a real a$$ to deny anything other than warranty on the muffler itself because he can't find it.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:11 PM
I should have stated that modding the engine will void the POWERTRAIN warranty, not necessarily the entire warranty. Though some dealers will try this, and it will be hell fighting them. Removing the muffler, while it won't hurt anything, could in theory void the warranty. It depends how much the dealer wants out of doing the warranty work. The problem comes in that if they deny the warranty claim it goes in the OASIS system which all dealers are connected to. Once you're red flagged you're pretty much SOL for the time being. Oh, and as for the trans warranty goes, mod any part of the drivetrain and that goes out the window with it. I've heard about claims where a simple intake or exhaust was blamed for a trans failure. The dealer claimed the extra hp was too much for the trans. Its a weak claim I know, but its happened.

Installing a CB probably won't get a second look, unless you really hack up the wiring and then claim an electrical problem. Then it might get some scrutiny. There are customer convenience wires run into the cab to help aid in wiring up things like CBs and other things. I wouldn't worry there.

The lower boost is correct that its not a direct result of the tune. However its in very close correlation. The tune is in direct control of the fuel tables, and the exhaust gases created by this fuel is what spins the turbo, which creates the boost. If you have less boost then you either have developed an exhaust leak, or the fuel the program is asking for is less than stock. The only time your boost should drop like that is when you change turbos and go to a more efficient turbo. For example my stock turbo can reach 30psi, but my BB unit with the same program might only make 27-28psi at WOT. The reason being is that the BB units can move air more efficiently creating less restriction (boost is only the measure of restriction). If you have not changed your turbo and are not leaking exhaust gases, then the program simply isn't asking for the fuel that stock is.

Any performance program can be written to overboost the truck, but any of the good programmers know how to write a good program that will not do this. ID is one of the better names (or were anyways) for the SCT 6.0L tunes. Troyer I know is a good name for gas engines, but I wouldn't jump in line for one of his diesel tunes. A diesel engine operates VERY different than a gas engine, and the 6.0L is alot more finicky for programming than the 7.3L. Its the same reason you don't take your transmission to a Ford dealership. You take it to a place that does nothing but transmissions, as they know them intimately, whereas a dealership knows a little about alot of things. Diesel programming is the same way. If you want good, safe power, you take it to the people who make it their business.

Quick Reply: Diesel Programmer Truth?