F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Diesel Programmer Truth?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Programmer Truth?

I keep reading that a Programmer will boost your HP and MPG. Then I read it will blow your head gaskets. Some tell me it is OK just not a 2004/2003 your 2005 is OK! I own a 2005 F350 and I was looking at a Programmer but I can't purchase one because I keep reading all of this BULL. Can someone please give my true results and facts that will tell me it is OK to operate one in my F350?

Old 01-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest with you, yes SOME but not all tuners can blow head gaskets on PSDs. My uncle used both the superchips and hypertech on his '04 F350.
The superchips caused slight damage to the engine ( not sure exactly what), and had to replace bank1 head. Ford "stealership" said it was due to excess fuel in the No2 & 4 cylinders. So he switched to the hypertech and no probs yet (nock on wood) If I had a diesel there would be only 2 programmers I would use,
1) Banks power PDA @ www.bankspower.com
2) edge evolution @ www.edgeproducts.com

Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
We had an Edge unit on a 350 with no problems. Also added an exhaust system. Really made a difference, at least until the vehicle was stolen. We replaced it and have ordered another Edge.

Old 01-22-2007, 07:35 PM
For a 6.0L your safest bet is to get something that doesn't use generic off the shelf programs. There is no way that one single program can work for everyone, so you run the risk of things going bad. You're FAR better getting an SCT with a custom tune for YOUR truck. Quite a few guys have invested the time and money into writing programs that take cylinder pressures into account which is what causes your heads to lift and the coolant to boil. 2 trucks at work run the Superchips and I'm not really thrilled with their overall performance. I used to run Edge on my truck, and there is no way that ANY programmer can compete with custom tunes.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I have heard that running the 80 to 100 hp tunes is just asking for transmission troubles if your truck has the stock tranny in it.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Now what about the transmission? Will this extra power be too much for it? Has anyone ever have a problem with there trans after the programmer was installed?

Old 01-22-2007, 08:43 PM
I am just waiting for the day when the kid down the streets transmission goes but he is running the 100hp tune with an intake and exhaust so he asked for it, Edge even said that the level 4 and 5 tunes are guranteed to cause problems in stock trucks.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:41 PM
For the Torqueshift trans as long as it has true transmission controls (and the Juice Platinum controls aren't even close) then the trans should live. Since everything is electronically controlled its all in the programming. This is the big reason to skip the modules on the 6.0L and go with a custom chip that takes everything into account.

If this was an old 4R100 then this doesn't apply, and trying to make the trans live by just programming isn't going to cut it. For that you need a valve body at minimum, but a torque converter is a good investment as well. Obviously a full built trans is the way to go, but not in everyones budget.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:48 PM
on a 6.0 i can almost garantee you will have leaking heads. maybe not right away but it will. it will overboost and actually stretch the head bolts causing a leak and warped heads. the trannys actually do pretty good though

Old 01-22-2007, 11:02 PM
I did alot of research on programmers before I bought my SCT. I ended up buying from Innovative Diesel and would recommend them to anyone, another one that has a good reputation is Elite Diesel. Having never tried any of the canned programmers, I can't say anything bad about them, just read and heard from others about the shifting issues, blown head gaskets, puking etc...
Keep in mind that any time you add power to anything you will increase the risk of damage, diesels are no different, choosing the right power adder will minimize the risk of damage.

here are a couple links to diesel sites with a wealth of info on programmers...

http://www.thedieselstop.com

http://www.thedieselgarage.com

Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM
I ran 36 psi (stock was 24ish) on my 03 6.0 for over 70k with no problems at all. It is hit or miss.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:09 PM
I still don't have the confidence in the answers at this time but I do like a certain programmer now. Has anyone ever unplugged the programmer and had the heads replaced? Is there a way Ford can see if you are using a programmer?

Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
No heads replaced and yes the dealer can see if you had a programmer if they really want to dig deep enough.

No one is going to tell you it won't cause any damage, because the fact is that it potentially can. If you want confidence that nothing will happen I can tell you I know several guys running programmers with no problems and lots of miles. I can also tell you I have heard of guys with problems running programmers, which programmers and whether they abused the truck I don't know.

Last edited by nvrenuff; 01-25-2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
No heads replaced and yes the dealer can see if you had a programmer if they really want to dig deep enough.
If you change back to stock, then disconnect your battery....wait and drain the cache from the PCM, then reconnect the battery....do seven starts...that should clear any trace of a tuner....at least that is what I read somewhere....

Maybe the folks at Troyer or ID can tell us?

Old 01-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
If you change back to stock, then disconnect your battery....wait and drain the cache from the PCM, then reconnect the battery....do seven starts...that should clear any trace of a tuner....at least that is what I read somewhere....

Maybe the folks at Troyer or ID can tell us?

No there are still traces of the programmer left deep in the memory of the PCM. The tech will have to dig to find them as it will not be evident. There will also be "gaps" in the memory logs. That itself will not flat out say there was a programmer, but its pretty close. If you have a high dollar warranty claim and the dealership or auditor feels it could have been caused by a programmer they will dig deep into the PCM and will eventually find the traces.

Bottom line, if you have a warranty and you want to keep it even in the slightest way, then don't mod your engine. Anything you do to it can void the warranty since you're changing its original parameters. And nobody start crying the Magnusson/Moss Act, because thats a load of BS. It doesn't apply to aftermarket upgrades. It applies mainly to OEM replacement parts. It says that if you replace an alternator with one from Autozone, Ford can't void your warranty. If you put a chip/intake/exhaust/turbo/etc on there your warranty goes poof. Its the old phrase, you gotta pay to play.

Quick Reply: Diesel Programmer Truth?