F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Are the 6.0 better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the 6.0 better?

Some people here may know that my 05 150 was stolen. Now it's time to start the search. I know I will be buying a KR, but I'm on the fence about a 150 or 250. I'm trying to justify having a 250, other than the fact that I've always wanted one. I know when the 6.0's came out (04?) they had a lot of problems. Have these issues been adressed? Feel free to enlighten me on anything I should be aware of. I am mainly looking at the 05's.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanna say 03 was the first year for the 6.0 and I defintly think your safe with an 05. From my understanding they did work out alot of kinks by then. I've also been told that some of the 6.0's are lemons while others never see the shop, so ask to see the maintance record for your vehicle if it's had dealership services. I bought my 05 with 48k miles on it which was kinda a blessing in disguise because all maintance had been done at the dealership and it's never been in for anything major.

Old 01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
I purchased a 2005 F350 and the motor is just fine! Good gas mileage. Plenty of power. I can't ask for more. My truck went in for a recall (re flashed) and never again. Go for the F250 the Super Duty Forums need more people.

Old 01-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by ian51279
Some people here may know that my 05 150 was stolen. Now it's time to start the search. I know I will be buying a KR, but I'm on the fence about a 150 or 250. I'm trying to justify having a 250, other than the fact that I've always wanted one. I know when the 6.0's came out (04?) they had a lot of problems. Have these issues been adressed? Feel free to enlighten me on anything I should be aware of. I am mainly looking at the 05's.

Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your loss...that sucks. Look around for an 06....I found one with 9k miles on it. A little TLC and it's back to normal. The only problem I have found when looking at used KR's is the seats. Some owners just don't care to take care of them for whatever reason.

I feel like I stole my 06.

Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Unfortunately the 6.0 PSD is truly a hit or miss deal. Both from a reliability perspective and a fuel mileage perspective.

If looking used, find a way to get an OASIS report. This will give you dealer service history and may identify if the truck your looking at has been full of bugs or not. Carfax from what I've learned is a waste of money.

There are a few sites that can give you some insight into the woes of owning a PSD. thedieselstop.com or thedieselgarage.com are 2 that I know. They are loaded, like here, with some opinionated folks, good and bad. But it's a place to do some homework. I find one of the best sources for info are the diesel tech's at Ford dealers. Track a couple of these guys down. Buy them a coffee or beer (after work) and see what you can learn.

Lastly, be sure you understand the costs associated with maintaining and operating a diesel. The costs are significantly higher then our gassers and the days of cheap diesel seem to be gone too....

I went thru the do I or don't I game recently and while I always wanted a diesel, it's just too hard to balance out the extra costs, at least for me.

Good luck on your quest. One last thing, Ford SD trucks have less anti-theft features then out F150's. So keep that in mind too....

Old 01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
My 06 PSD has been great, no problems at all...I went from a 150 to the 250 last year and couldn't be happier!

Quick Reply: Are the 6.0 better?