F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4X4 hubs on 2000 F-250

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4X4 hubs on 2000 F-250

What are the choices when it comes to replacing these hubs? It has the auto hubs from the factory. Are these operated by vacuum lines? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 AM
Yeah I have the same problem. Just bought a pair of Warn hubs from Napa and am replacing my OEM auto hubs tomorrow. It looks pretty straightforward. Anyway the factory system uses vacuum to engage/disengage the hubs. When replacing these OEM hubs I have found through research that you are much better off going to something like the Warn hubs, which are NOT automatic but have a "lock" and "free" setting. Then you just disconnect the vacuum lines as they are now useless and replaced by you exiting the vehicle and using your fingers to turn the dial on the new hubs. The originals are prone to failure, and as in the case of mine, one of them wants to engage suddenly travelling 75 mph down the interstate. This is slightly hard on the front axle needless to say. I then get a thumping/clanking sound (as if in 4X4) on sharp turns until I back up a few feet and then it is all better. When I bought the truck I couldnt get the driver's side hub to turn from "auto" to "lock" so the dealership replaced it with a new OEM. Now I cant get the passenger side to budge either. My truck has 80000 miles on it. These hubs should really last longer than that IMO. With the Warns, I will turn them to "free" and KNOW that they arent going to engage. You can leave them in the "lock" setting for days if you want (expecting snow storms and are always in and out of 4X4 for example), it will cause slight wear and decrease in mpg but wont really hurt anything. You just use your switch or lever inside the truck to engage your transfer case in and out of 4 wheel drive. Anyway, they will probably outlast the truck so they are a good buy and they beat the heck out of the OEM automatics!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
So basically, buy the warn free/lock hubs. Plug the vacuum line at the hub? Your problems are exactly the same that my cousin is haveing. He has already taken them apart and cleaned everything. This worked for about a month. What are the part numbers for the warn locker that you bought at NAPA? Thanks. Let me know if this fixes your problems.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 PM
I threw away the box and dont remember the part number, but if you go to Warn.com and input your vehicle information they will tell you everything you need to know. I installed them yesterday in about an hour--very easy install. Plugged the vacuum lines at the frame (just cut the line and used machine screws with wire ties to plug all ends). Remember to lift each front wheel and operate the new hubs in and out of lock and free, then spin the tires to make sure they are engaging/disengaging the front axle like they are supposed to. My F250 is all better now!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Should be part number 11960 for the standard Warn hubs. Plan to spend $150 or so for the standards and $175-190 for the premiums.

Quick Reply: 4X4 hubs on 2000 F-250