F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Why so few V10's . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why so few V10's . . .

in looking at the lots around here, it would appear than Ford doesn't even put this engine in the Super Duty trucks any longer! All I see are the Powerstroke's and maybe the odd 5.4 in a plain jane configured work truck. I have literally seen NO V-10's on the local lot.

I understand completely that the diesel's have their place, but for the price of that engine option, I could buy allot of gas for the V10. Is the V10 a bad engine? Does it have reliability issues? Is it slated to be removed from the lineup?

I'd certainly consider a Super Duty V10, but there's no way I can justify the extra up front cost of a diesel. Not having V10's on the lot also make it difficult to test drive and purchase one. There's no way I'm going to order a $45K truck without being able to test drive it first.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:25 PM
The V10's are out there, but it may take some searching for a V10 with the options that you want. It took me a few weeks to find one last year. When I found the one that had the options I wanted (mainly the front split bench seat so I could seat 6), I travelled 4 hours into PA from OH to purchase it. I'm still grinning 6 months later.

Old 04-14-2007, 04:13 PM
as i understand the V10 had some troubles with it. there was alot of disapointment from buyers and dealers when so many were brought back with issues. im not saying it is a bad engine cause it isnt, jsut seems to be more prone to mechanical imperfections.

Old 04-14-2007, 05:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never heard of anything bad with the V10 engines. It is certainly a much stronger engine power wise than the 5.4

Last year I took my 04 Lariat to get it serviced and noticed a white King Ranch Superduty and I thought to myself I bet it's a 5.4 and then I seen the V10 badge on the fender and I brought the truck home with me that day.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:06 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by patshea098
im not saying it is a bad engine cause it isnt, jsut seems to be more prone to mechanical imperfections.
Never heard that one on any of the boards I'm on.

The dealers are gonna stock the trucks to bring in the most money (diesel) so if you want a 6.8L, prolly gonna have to order.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
The dealers are gonna stock the trucks to bring in the most money (diesel) so if you want a 6.8L, prolly gonna have to order.
That's sure the way it looks. The reality is that I'd likely go to another dealer or another brand (say a 3/4 or 1 ton GM with gas engine) before I'd chance a special order on a truck that I couldn't test drive.

One would think they'd have at least one on the lot that people could test drive and/or look at. Seems like they are really limiting themselves. I can't imagine that every Super Duty buyer could be talked into a diesel if that's not what they want.

Old 04-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Cougar Guy
One would think they'd have at least one on the lot that people could test drive and/or look at. Seems like they are really limiting themselves. I can't imagine that every Super Duty buyer could be talked into a diesel if that's not what they want.
What do you mean if it's not what they want, everyone wants a diesel, have you been to the doctor lately?

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2007, 06:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
And if you want a big chevy gasser, you better hurry. The 8.1L is about to be discontinued leaving the 6.0L and duramax as the only engines in the 2500+.

Adrianspeeder

Old 04-15-2007, 11:33 PM
The 6.8L is the perfect gas engine for the Super Duty.. It'll do anything you ask of it and then some. It's smooth, quiet, and powerful. The ONLY complaint I had with the V10 was it lacked a little power when towing at altitude. And by altitude, I mean 7,000 feet and higher. I've heard that the new V10 with the 3 valves performed better in the mountains, but never personally drove one. If you're looking for a big truck with a gas motor,
find a Super Duty with the V10, you won't be sorry! Oh, and get the 4.30 gears- better performance with virtually no impact to fuel economy.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by CajunJosh
What do you mean if it's not what they want, everyone wants a diesel, have you been to the doctor lately?
LOL, I'm starting to think it's something they put in the water around here

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I found a few in texas, and the 3 valve V-10 runs better than my old 2 valve did, I never found one with a 6 speed though (since that's what I wanted) and yeah with a good tune, cai and exhaust system upgrades and they might pull pretty well.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by adrianspeeder
And if you want a big chevy gasser, you better hurry. The 8.1L is about to be discontinued leaving the 6.0L and duramax as the only engines in the 2500+.

Adrianspeeder
Is the Chevy 8.1L a V10 or a big-*** V8?

Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by JohnBoy88
Is the Chevy 8.1L a V10 or a big-*** V8?
Big *** v8

Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by Cougar Guy
in looking at the lots around here, it would appear than Ford doesn't even put this engine in the Super Duty trucks any longer! All I see are the Powerstroke's and maybe the odd 5.4 in a plain jane configured work truck. I have literally seen NO V-10's on the local lot.

I understand completely that the diesel's have their place, but for the price of that engine option, I could buy allot of gas for the V10. Is the V10 a bad engine? Does it have reliability issues? Is it slated to be removed from the lineup?

I'd certainly consider a Super Duty V10, but there's no way I can justify the extra up front cost of a diesel. Not having V10's on the lot also make it difficult to test drive and purchase one. There's no way I'm going to order a $45K truck without being able to test drive it first.

I bought a V-10 Super Duty a year and a half ago. Great engine, I have no regrets. It's smooth, quiet & very powerful towing our camper. They're at many of the lots around here, must be a regional thing that you can't find one. I looked for the availability of what I wanted on the dealers web site first, that saved a lot of time. I hope you can get a chance to drive one, they are worth it. The reliability is outstanding, I've talked to people with well over 100,000 miles on them with no issues. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dad has 2 of them, one in a 01 f-250 with 3.73's, and the other in an 04 f-450 with 5.38's. The 01 has 190,000 trailer towing, snow plowing, hard miles, and he has never done a thing to the engine, and can pull 16mpg on the highway. And the 04 is just a frickin powerhouse, you can pull stumps out with it if you want to, but only gets 5-6mpg. Keep looking you will find one, they are a very reliable engine.

Quick Reply: Why so few V10's . . .