F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

08 F350 KingRanch at my shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to Thank you for posting all the pics of the new 08 and stating Ford having another winner. Thanks to you these pics are circulating around the web. My husband builds these trucks at the KTP Plant. Seeing this process potential buyers are scared to buy this truck because they feel the cab will to come off to have engine work done. I hope you haven't run off to many customers, your job might not last if you do indeed work for a Ford dealer.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Graceann
Just wanted to Thank you for posting all the pics of the new 08 and stating Ford having another winner. Thanks to you these pics are circulating around the web. My husband builds these trucks at the KTP Plant. Seeing this process potential buyers are scared to buy this truck because they feel the cab will to come off to have engine work done. I hope you haven't run off to many customers, your job might not last if you do indeed work for a Ford dealer.
Graceann, I am not defending any actions or posts here. But I belong to this forum and 4 others similar to it and have yet to see these photos on any other site or on the web. Taking the cab off for repairs on 04's-07's is pretty common and there are many trucks out there that look similar. What would be helpful when you post something like this is to provide links so that others can see where they are circulated.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
What would be helpful when you post something like this is to provide links so that others can see where they are circulated.

http://www.floridajeepers.net/viewtopic.php?t=35668

Found this site (F150online) from here www.floridajeepers.net with a link to this topic. That might help explain some of the circulating issues. From a Ford site to a Jeep site, Ford owners are on all kinds of other sites and I myself would hate the idea of having to remove a cab just to fix a part. My 2 favorites were my 79 F100 (my first truck) and my next one that was a 77 F250 Ranger with a 360 in it. Easy to fix and parts were cheap.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Removing the cab is not a big deal with a hoist like all dealers have, it takes less time than to pull the engine which is very common in all makes/models for head work.

Will it make you feel better if the engine were pulled to do the repair

I agree that having to do either is a PIA, if you look under the hood of most new vehicles with a large engine, they would most likely have to have the engine pulled to change heads. Welcome to reality all you non-mechanically inclined people who seem to think its some sort of major deal specific to only the superduty.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Keep in mind with alot of repairs the cab does not require removal. The problem comes in that alot of dealerships give the techs the short end of the stick. There is a budgeted time alloted for a given repair. This means that the tech must complete the repair in that time or they must finish it on their own time. Its really a crappy system. In cases with the 6.0L head gaskets and the like the tech can remove the cab faster to gain access the engine as compared to pulling the engine. Most times a tech pulls the cab is not because its the only way, but is a much faster way. Unfortunetly this is the kind of problems you run into with cab forward design.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Here's your linkhttp://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/19706571.cfm

Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
[QUOTE=nvrenuff]Removing the cab is not a big deal with a hoist like all dealers have, it takes less time than to pull the engine which is very common in all makes/models for head work.

Will it make you feel better if the engine were pulled to do the repair

I agree that having to do either is a PIA, if you look under the hood of most new vehicles with a large engine, they would most likely have to have the engine pulled to change heads. Welcome to reality all you non-mechanically inclined people who seem to think its some sort of major deal specific to only the superduty. [/QUOT I know all about the cab removal my husband builds the trucks and so does my father. My problem was that when pictures like that circulate on the web from a Ford dealership stating it took all day to preform {most do not} on a new truck, it tends to turn potential customers away. I myself am tired of all the Ford bashing and this is just more fuel to the fire. You stated it is common in most makes and models but Ford is the only one being circulated on the web with their new truck that has been under the microscope from day one. It just gets old. I am sorry to get so bent out of shape, this is just been a year of questions for us Ford employees and I just felt the need to fight back. The RV forum this was found on has been a constant battle ground of Ford bashing but these beasts are found all across the U.S. pulling their trailers, I guess some feel if they post anything negative against Ford they have done something Good. Again Sorry I did not mean to be so hateful.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh quityerbitchin'. Ford intended for the cab to come off for most major engine repairs with the 6.4 PSD. I've been told there isn't enough room to get the valve covers off with the body in place, but I don't know for sure, I'm not a diesel guy.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Ford needs to make them clip and flip cabs, just like the Freightliners and Peterbilts!

Old 05-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Oh quityerbitchin'. Ford intended for the cab to come off for most major engine repairs with the 6.4 PSD. I've been told there isn't enough room to get the valve covers off with the body in place, but I don't know for sure, I'm not a diesel guy.
I really haven't started, but I can. I was simply saying the pictures were not very positive towards Ford from someone who works at a Ford Dealership. I for one do not bite the hand of someone who feeds my family. Had he bothered to explain the pictures a little more, after more experience the procedure would take less time, this is something Ford intended, ect. it might have been received better in the forums it has been posted in. Maybe I am a little touchy on the subject and for that I am sorry. I for one would like to see Ford and Chevy back on top.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:22 PM
delete

Last edited by taterthedog; 05-22-2007 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM
hey tater, your pics are getting some fame all over the net apparently, nice work, you need a raise

Old 05-21-2007, 10:12 PM

I really haven't started, but I can. I was simply saying the pictures were not very positive towards Ford from someone who works at a Ford Dealership. I for one do not bite the hand of someone who feeds my family. Had he bothered to explain the pictures a little more, after more experience the procedure would take less time, this is something Ford intended, ect. it might have been received better in the forums it has been posted in. Maybe I am a little touchy on the subject and for that I am sorry. I for one would like to see Ford and Chevy back on top.
You'd probably have a stroke from some of the pictures I could post on the 'net and some of the dirty little secrets I know at the dealership level.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by taterthedog
Listen, I didn't build the truck, and I sure as hell didn't break it. All I posted was what it takes to fix them. How it was recieved on forums that I didn't post it in, I could care less. I posted it here. If you don't like seeing the truth then don't look I guess.
I'd send those pics to the guys at FlatRateTech, I don't think they have any pictures or how-tos for a 2008 Superduty cab removal.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 PM
delete

Last edited by taterthedog; 05-22-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Quick Reply: 08 F350 KingRanch at my shop