F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2008 F450 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F450 Thoughts?

I have had once since Saturday, love the truck. Not to sure if I am going to buy it or not.

Anyone on here have one? Any pros, cons, or info to share?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I think you should take it back before you get arrested.

(i have nothing to contribute about the new 6.4 other than that I wish my 6L was that quiet)

Old 05-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Suspended
Those trucks are the meanest, baddest, toughest looking trucks ever built, IMO at least. They look mean as hell. Couple simple mods, and they are down right gorgeous.

I really can't imagine Ford going forward with the 6.4 UNLESS they knew it would be a GREAT engine after the 6.0 issues. They could not afford another bad diesel.

I say go for it!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 PM
IMO Overkill for the average guy, but if you plan on moving some really heavy loads really often then go ahead. but for the price I would look at what I would need it for, considering that Ford Intended this truck for farmers and other people who would likely use it for extreme hauling on a regular basis (i.e. retirees who haul a 40ft 5th wheel around the U.S.). But on another note, If you got the money and you like it that much..... Why not .

Old 05-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by jsnsan
IMO Overkill for the average guy, but if you plan on moving some really heavy loads really often then go ahead. but for the price I would look at what I would need it for, considering that Ford Intended this truck for farmers and other people who would likely use it for extreme hauling on a regular basis (i.e. retirees who haul a 40ft 5th wheel around the U.S.). But on another note, If you got the money and you like it that much..... Why not .

x2

Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 PM
My buddy just sold his 1996 F-450 to upgrade to a semi. He was pulling a 48 ft. 5th wheel flat bed trailer with the F-450. If you need the strength for heavy towing/hauling go for it, or if you have the money and just want the fun of an F-450, go for it.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I really can't imagine Ford going forward with the 6.4 UNLESS they knew it would be a GREAT engine after the 6.0 issues.

You're kidding right? Have you been under a rock? The 6.4L has been an all out flop since day one. So far its made the 03 6.0L look good. Ford's fix for the flame thrower, detune the engine to nothing when it gets hot Talk about a bandaid repair. Ford has no choice but to go ahead with the 6.4L. The new Tier III emissions standards require that the 6.4L be released by MY08 and the 6.0L had no hope of passing Tier III. This is why Dodge came out with the 6.7L Cummins for 08 as well, the 5.9L couldn't pass standards.

Honestly I wouldn't touch a 6.4L as of right now given the present problems and the imminent split between Ford and Navistar. Ford has already started designing their own in house diesel (train wreck in progress there), and thusly Navistar has filed suit for the remainder of their contract with Ford (current expires in 2011). This means that the 6.4L will have a very short life in Ford trucks (planned replacement is in 2010) and could become the ultimate red headed step child of the group.

My current employer (CNH) through our parent company is a Ford Partner, thus I get X plan, and additionally our whole service truck fleet (20 trucks for the combine division alone) are all Ford. For next years new trucks we have started actively looking at Dodge and Chevy (probably end up with a Dodge 5500) due to the 6.0L problems and the new 6.4L. I didn't think I'd ever see us try and walk away from Ford trucks.

Anyhow as for the 08 F450s, what are you planning to use it for? Service truck, hauler, grocery getter, etc? Baseline they gross up to 26k for combination weight. Depending on the state anything over 18k or so (gotta get out my DOT regs) may require the use of a med card and DOT numbers for anything beyond blatant personal use. PA is one of those states Also keep in mind that the 450s and 550s won't have gears any higher than 4.30s so fuel mileage isn't going to be all that great. Heck our 03 F550 4x4 service truck with a 6.0L gets around 10-12mpg with no trailer (truck weighs in at 13,900), loaded to 26k max I see usually around 7mpg. While they look cool, unless you need to have that large of a truck for business reasons I'd find another truck.

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
You're kidding right? Have you been under a rock? The 6.4L has been an all out flop since day one. So far its made the 03 6.0L look good. Ford's fix for the flame thrower, detune the engine to nothing when it gets hot Talk about a bandaid repair.
K, wait, so the one issue with the emissions system running so hot it was lighting unburned fuel is the entire list of horrendous problems that make the 6.4 a complete disaster? Man, talk about a terrible engine! (It wasn't even IN the engine, it was in the exhaust system. Which means it would NOT affect the longevity of the motor. Ford changed the tuning to reduce the amount of fuel being dumped to the PROPER amount. OH NO!)

I've heard of ONE problem, and it has been fixed. You obviously aren't biased and don't have anything against the Navistar 6 liter series engines, so I'm sure you didn't embellish a little bit.

Phew, close one, we almost told a guy to buy a truck with 1 well-known problem that has been fixed.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Honestly I wouldn't touch a 6.4L as of right now given the present problems and the imminent split between Ford and Navistar. Ford has already started designing their own in house diesel (train wreck in progress there), and thusly Navistar has filed suit for the remainder of their contract with Ford (current expires in 2011). This means that the 6.4L will have a very short life in Ford trucks (planned replacement is in 2010) and could become the ultimate red headed step child of the group.
From what I understand ... it was International that dropped the ball on the 6.0 and 6.4 engines for their release. Apparently the engines weren't close to being ready for release and Ford did what they could in desperation to get those engines ready. I believe there is quite a bit of litigation regarding this dispute with lawsuits going both ways between International and Ford. Ford has started developing their diesel engines in house for 2010 in attempt to avoid anymore disasters.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I'd love to own a diesel... but nowadays the gov't is pushing WAYYYY too hard on the diesel emissions.

I think they should fix gasoline engine emissions way before diesel engine emissions only because there are more gas engines running the road than diesel.

Personally I dunno why the heck the government is pressing on the diesel emissions since a diesel engine can use a home-made biodiesel fuel. Seems as if the government wants us all to own gas hogging 8 liter V8's... so they can get rich quick instead of the people getting creative and having their diesel factory in their kitchen for a lot less. You would think that the government would be helping out the people start on a new and innovative way to get from point a to point b.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the info guys...

The motor has to be the quitest and smoothest diesel I have ever heard....

Now, I tow a race car trailer all the time on the weekends so that is my major need for a nice truck. I plan to get a 48 Foot Goose Neck in the next year or two. Right now its just a 28 Ft Tag. I love the looks of the 450 with the 19.5 truck wheels and the beefy stance. It pulls the 28 ft like nothing is behind it.

Sticker price on the trucks isnt that much differance thats why I am leaning towards the 450...

Loaded 250 $50,xxx
Loaded 350 $54,xxx
Loaded 450 $57,xxx

I can get it at X-plan, hell a loaded 150 is $44,xxx now.

The ride it great and gas mileage is like 13-15mph so far. I have put close to 400 miles on it.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:34 AM
The ride it great and gas mileage is like 13-15mph so far
interesting

If your towing that much, then I say go for it. It is the guys who don't really need the F450 but think its just a cool commuter that make me laugh.

Ignore the post on the 6.4L debacle, one minor issue blown WAY out of proportion. Alot of hearsay on the Ford agreement with IH as well which will really won't affect you or me, its not like ford will stop servicing what they sell no matter what happens with IH.

Last edited by nvrenuff; 05-17-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:53 AM
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I built myself a F-350 crew 4x4 last night on Ford.com. Only came in at $52k, and that was without an automatic transmission...

Old 05-17-2007, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. ..

Its only a payment.... A small house one though.... lol....

Signing the papers in a bit!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:03 PM
We Will Need Pics!!

Quick Reply: 2008 F450 Thoughts?