F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

'06 F250 out of water????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 F250 out of water????

This weekend the family and I were taking a trip (towing our 5er) and the "engine overheating" msg came on. We pulled over and dumped 2.5 gallons of water in the radiator. Then a few miles up the road pulled over again and dumped another 3.5 gallons in once the thermostat opened up. Anyone else every experience this? I have owned trucks all my life and have NEVER had to fill the radiator unless there was a leak. There's no leak in this one. Any ideas?

One thing we did notice is that after topping off, if we squeezed the tube water would spill out of the cap. Is this a known issue? After we got to camp we checked and there was pressure. Could the cap be faulty?

Thanks,

~DD

Old 05-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably a bad EGR cooler or you need head gaskets. It is a common problem on the 6.0 diesel. Lots of times no one notices until they put a load on the truck. Check out thedieselstop.com Lots of info on it over their!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
was there any white smoke out the exhaust?

It could just be a simple rad cap issue, but it may be more of a symptom than a cause if your coolant system is constantly overpressuring.

I agree with the headgasket or egr cooler diagnosis. Don't panic (unless you don't have warranty ), but get it to the dealer or you could be getting new heads if its a head gasket issue and they warp from overheating

Quick Reply: '06 F250 out of water????