F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Fifth Wheel with lifted truck...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth Wheel with lifted truck...

Hi guys, Ive camped my entire child hood and I have decided to buy an rv. I am going to go with a Forest River Wildcat 30.5 box with a 34' total overall length. My truck is a 2006 FX4 F-350 with a superlift 4" front and 2" rear (blocks) and 35" X 12" X 18". Will I be ok to pull a fifth whell with no problem due to the lift. I heard some people tell me I will hit the bed on corners... I can possibly see how. I have already backed the truck up and the camper jacks up high enough with out blocks to go on to the hitch, so there is no issue there. Are the blocks used in the kit going to be a problem? Should I change the block to a leaf spring? Thanks for you help,

Todd

Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM
It's not "Can you raise the trailer high enough to hitch it", it is "Can you level the trailer once hitched and still have a minimum 6 inches clearance between the top of bed rails and bottom of the fiver overhang". You want the trailer as level as possible for towing which you may not be able to do with a lifted truck.

You heard correct, if you don't have the clearance, you can very possibly ding the corners of the rails into the underside of the overhang when going over railroad tracks, thru an intersection with a dip, into parking lots, etc., just about any condition that would cause the back of the truck to raise. I've got almost 8" and have still touched the bottom of the trailer when unhooking at a CG that had a pretty good drop off toward the end of the pad.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Also you need to make sure your new 35" tires will handle the weight.
You say the rear has 2" blocks. Are these stacked onto your existing 4" F350 blocks? Personally I would not be pulling heavy 5vr with that set up.
I added a set of super springs to the rear of my F250 CC FX4 which enables my bed to sit level when hooked to my 5vr. I have about 2350 lb pin weight. It would squat about 2"'s below level in the rear pre SS.
You rail height and 5vr separation is set by your hitch and ext. pin. However, like stated above, if your 5vr does not sit fairly level, you might smack the rails toward the rear and you may get a lot of porpousing on the road(front to rear motion)

Old 06-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Ok on the lift question, I took the original block out as well as the helper spring, and put the new 4" block in. the stock block from ford was 2", so that gave me 2" of lift in the rear. Same as if i added an add-a-leaf. So no stacking of blocks, but alos no helper spring...

I would have to get under the trailer again on level ground to make sure I have 6" minimum clearance. The 35" tires I used a Toyo Open country M/T and they are 10ply, I believe that should be sufficient???

Old 06-08-2007, 01:14 AM
I tow my 5vr with a lift, its lifted about 5" in the front and 3" in the back. My axles on the trailer are flipped which levels out the trailer quite well. Actually better than my f150 was which was lifted 1.5" in the rear, but the box was about 3" deeper.

Not sure about the block, I wouldn't think it will be a problem. Mine is an add a leaf though. If you feel any axle wrap (shuddering on takeoff) with the blocks, you may want to go to the leaf instead. Your 10 ply toyo's will also work fine (same as mine too), they have a high load rating.

I am actually all loaded up ready to take out the trailer and boat on about a 8 hour trek north for some fishing for the next few days, I will try to get a few pics on some level ground.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by nvrenuff
I tow my 5vr with a lift, its lifted about 5" in the front and 3" in the back. My axles on the trailer are flipped which levels out the trailer quite well. Actually better than my f150 was which was lifted 1.5" in the rear, but the box was about 3" deeper.

Not sure about the block, I wouldn't think it will be a problem. Mine is an add a leaf though. If you feel any axle wrap (shuddering on takeoff) with the blocks, you may want to go to the leaf instead. Your 10 ply toyo's will also work fine (same as mine too), they have a high load rating.

I am actually all loaded up ready to take out the trailer and boat on about a 8 hour trek north for some fishing for the next few days, I will try to get a few pics on some level ground.
Ok this is great news. Is it true that I may be limited to which 5th wheel? I want to get a 2008 Forest River Wildcat. I test fit a Forest River Cardinal and it worked fine. I have 5" of clearance, which is pretty good.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:42 PM
here is how my 5vr sits loaded with the lift (and with 7 - 25L jugs of gas in the bed for the boat)

(ignore my ugly buddy who was with me on our way fishing up north)

Quick Reply: Fifth Wheel with lifted truck...