F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Mods to improve MPG...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods to improve MPG...

I did look through the posts, but my search function is not working (wont pull up anything)...

I am hauling a 20ft Skeeter w/ 200HP Yamaha now and while it is heavier than my ski boat, I would think it would have a lot less wind drag. I get 11.9MPG traveling 200miles to the lake round trip.

I work relatively close to home and get 12mpg going to work and back... The one travel trip I took out of town without a boat I got 14s...

Would turbo back exhaust and air intake improve mpg enough to be considered?? I need to change my fuel filters too... I have a HUGE fishing trip coming up next weekend so I will change oil and do the fuel filters too this weekend... I have been faithful with diesel kleen, anyone using sea foam?? Boat forum I frequent swears by it!

I know I didn't buy my truck to be a gas saver and I like that diesel is cheaper than gas (right now anyway), but I would like to get over 15's...
Im sure the heavy ranch hand bumper replacements and slightly larger tires dont help...

Any advise appreciated!

Edit: Truck has nearly 40K on it...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by JonF150
I did look through the posts, but my search function is not working (wont pull up anything)...

I am hauling a 20ft Skeeter w/ 200HP Yamaha now and while it is heavier than my ski boat, I would think it would have a lot less wind drag. I get 11.9MPG traveling 200miles to the lake round trip.

I work relatively close to home and get 12mpg going to work and back... The one travel trip I took out of town without a boat I got 14s...

Would turbo back exhaust and air intake improve mpg enough to be considered?? I need to change my fuel filters too... I have a HUGE fishing trip coming up next weekend so I will change oil and do the fuel filters too this weekend... I have been faithful with diesel kleen, anyone using sea foam?? Boat forum I frequent swears by it!

I know I didn't buy my truck to be a gas saver and I like that diesel is cheaper than gas (right now anyway), but I would like to get over 15's...
Im sure the heavy ranch hand bumper replacements and slightly larger tires dont help...

Any advise appreciated!

Edit: Truck has nearly 40K on it...
that doesn't sound right to me. I have an 06 and tow a 6k# TT and I can get 11.5+ towing but it comes down to how I tow. If I am on the gas hard at stop signs, passing yes it will suffer. If you drive smart and watch your RPM's and know where the shift points are it will help a ton. I get 15-16 ave per tank driving to and from work. 11.13 towing pending the wind.

Biggest difference I have notied. Anything over 2K RPM's will make your MPG's suffer. 2K RPM's should be around 70 mph. Towing under 70 is your best bet for better mpg's

How fast do you tow?

I have no mods. All stock. I do run a programmer (SCT XCAL II, DI tuned)on occasion to get 2+ mpg per tank taking my average up to 18-19 while on the highway for long trips.

I have seen up to 21 mpg but that is driving slower than 70.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Im towin at 70mph with the tow/haul mode on... I don't get over 60 on my short hwy haul to work... I am not a big speeder.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Im towin at 70mph with the tow/haul mode on... I don't get over 60 on my short hwy haul to work... I am not a big speeder.
That is interesting. Have you checked the air filter lately?

Call your local dealer and ask them if there is a PCM reflash for your truck.

That mileage day to day doesn't sound right unless you are spending a ton of time idling.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I have not personally opened the air box, relying on the system check tool is prolly silly of me... lol

Tried to call my service guy but had to leave a message... Not sure how much a reflash will run me... been meanin to get an extended warrenty quote anyhoo...

Last edited by JonF150; 06-14-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Im gonna change the oil and fuel filters this weekend. Going with motorcraft and rotella 15w/40... In the case I need an air filter, should I get a paper one or is there a better one to drop in? I hear K&N is a no no for our diesels...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Im gonna change the oil and fuel filters this weekend. Going with motorcraft and rotella 15w/40... In the case I need an air filter, should I get a paper one or is there a better one to drop in? I hear K&N is a no no for our diesels...
Actually the FORD OEM air filter is better than most aftermarkets for this engine. Another search will show you that Today I ran my truck with a street tune and filled her up. Got 19.6 mpg coming into work this morning, 37 mile comute. Do you use Diesel Kleen by chance? If not you should run a few bottles through your tank. I have been using this http://www.priproducts.com/pridpage.htm since I bought the truck.

Was driving at 72-75 mph once on the highway.

Let us know what you experience.

JP

Old 06-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I do use diesel kleen, been thinkin about tryin sea foam as well... I have gone thru 2 bottles of diesel kleen and no real change...

I do remember reading about the OEM filters being good, but there are so many aftermarket ones... Didn't know...

I honestly can not search for anything... I don't know whats wrong...

Old 06-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I do use diesel kleen, been thinkin about tryin sea foam as well... I have gone thru 2 bottles of diesel kleen and no real change...

I do remember reading about the OEM filters being good, but there are so many aftermarket ones... Didn't know...

I honestly can not search for anything... I don't know whats wrong...
That is strange about the search stuff.

I use DK only on occaision but after using PRI-D I am sticking with it. One bottle treats up to 512 gallons of gas for 32 bucks. That's good ROI.

Wonder if your big ol tires are causing your millage to be lower. I am at a loss.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Im hopin the fuel filters and possibly air filter change would do the trick, like I said I just got it a few months ago and theres not telling how old these items are... We shall see...

Old 06-17-2007, 01:34 AM
Jon,
I have no idea what the problem is, however I can say that isnt right. I have a brand new 6.0 (left over) and I only have about 1500 miles on it, and towing my 07 Skeeter 20I 250HPDI, I'm getting 14+. Thats towing at 70mph, I do not use the tow haul mode unless I am going through the mountains.

Try a few things out, hope you get some good results. FYI, most of my buddies with a similar set up, 6.0l and 20' bass boats, are getting 15mpg+ towing once the motors are broke in....

Good luck!
Garrett

Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, I did the fuel filters, cleaned the dust out of the airbox, and changed the oil/filter... That bottom fuel filter is a pain to get off with cresent wrench... Gonna get a 1/2 inch socket set just for that... Took a 60mile trip to the inlaws and got 17.8mpg... Hauled some couches home for them and got 16.8 on the way back... 16.5 right now with some city driving yesterday and this AM...

Man I am so happy this did the trick... I still need to get a new airbox more than likely... I am looking into turbo back MBRP systems...

This week we leave for vacation with our skeeter 2.5 hours to one lake, then 5.5 hours to another lake... THAT will be the real test... I doubt I will have the exhaust or air intake/filter by then tho...

Anyway... Thanks for the help... I still may have my pcm flashed, talked to my guy at ford and he said there is an updated one...

Cheers!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Well, I did the fuel filters, cleaned the dust out of the airbox, and changed the oil/filter... That bottom fuel filter is a pain to get off with cresent wrench... Gonna get a 1/2 inch socket set just for that... Took a 60mile trip to the inlaws and got 17.8mpg... Hauled some couches home for them and got 16.8 on the way back... 16.5 right now with some city driving yesterday and this AM...

Man I am so happy this did the trick... I still need to get a new airbox more than likely... I am looking into turbo back MBRP systems...

This week we leave for vacation with our skeeter 2.5 hours to one lake, then 5.5 hours to another lake... THAT will be the real test... I doubt I will have the exhaust or air intake/filter by then tho...

Anyway... Thanks for the help... I still may have my pcm flashed, talked to my guy at ford and he said there is an updated one...

Cheers!
that sounds more in line. Just an FYI, Ford recomends changing fuel filters every 15K miles...

Let us know how you tow after your trips.

JP

Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I am thinkin now that I am on track, I will change oil every 5K and fuel every 10K... Easier to keep track of.

Lookin at the weather, not sure how much fishin I will get it... Will let yall know how the PSD does...

Slow at work, been surfin for performance and suspension mods!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 06:49 PM

Cheers!
So much for that... back down to 12mpg... Think my air box is bad... May look into that air intake and exhaust a little sooner...

Quick Reply: Mods to improve MPG...