F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

5.4 F250 question on power

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 F250 question on power

I want a f250 to pull my travel trailer my lightning has had enough. Ok i found a 2002 f250 2wd with 109,000 on the clock. Its the larait edition and its loaded. It has a 4 grand fab tech 6" lift kit with 38" tall tires on chrome wheels. It needs a paint job but i do that on my off time so that is nothing. He has a programmer in it along with 4.11 gears in the rear. The truck has good power and drives like new. He wants 10,000 for it. Is this a fair price? And the biggest question will the 5.4 hold up to pulling a 6,500 pound camper around? This will be my first f250 and i just don't want to get bit on it.. Thanks Lil John

Last edited by Lil John SVT; 08-03-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM
a 5.4 with 38s doesnt sound like a good tow vehicle to me. and it needs way more gear then 4.10s if you plan on pulling anything

Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Fair price? Hell no. Will the 5.4 hold up? Yes. Will you like it? No. Those 4.11 gears are WAY too low for 38" tires, especially with the 5.4. I'd pass on that truck. You'll kick yourself for buying it.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:26 PM
The F250 is about 2000 Lbs more than your lightening, so to give you an idea of how it would pull, drop a ton in the back of your lightening, hook on to the trailer, and tow. You won't be a happy camper.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by larryp
The F250 is about 2000 Lbs more than your lightening, so to give you an idea of how it would pull, drop a ton in the back of your lightening, hook on to the trailer, and tow. You won't be a happy camper.
And take off the supercharger, and decrease the gears to 3.31 or so.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:36 PM
Yeah i understand going deisel. But all the people i work with have F250 and we all pull campers. The best i hear them getting as far as mpg pulling there campers is from 10 to 13 mpg. Thats the same as i get with my lightning. And gas is cheaper than deisel last i looked, i really never look bcuz i don't own one. I am still undecided on buying the truck as of right now. But for the price and all whats done to it i think its a damm good deal. But i don't want to jump into it like i did my lightning. I bought my lightning and 2 days later i was putting in a 6,000 dollar motor. Just trying to get a heads up from some owners so i can make a good decision on this. Thanks Lil John

Old 08-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lil John SVT
Yeah i understand going deisel. But all the people i work with have F250 and we all pull campers. The best i hear them getting as far as mpg pulling there campers is from 10 to 13 mpg. Thats the same as i get with my lightning. And gas is cheaper than deisel last i looked, i really never look bcuz i don't own one. I am still undecided on buying the truck as of right now. But for the price and all whats done to it i think its a damm good deal. But i don't want to jump into it like i did my lightning. I bought my lightning and 2 days later i was putting in a 6,000 dollar motor. Just trying to get a heads up from some owners so i can make a good decision on this. Thanks Lil John
During the summer, diesel is cheaper. That 10 to 13MPG is something you will NOT get with the 5.4L. Try lower. What everyone has been hinting at is a 5.4L in a superduty isn't enough engine. The seller found that out when doing a lift and going to larger tires. The solution - taller gears and a programmer. The F250 will pull your trailer, but instead of dropping 6K for a motor, you will probably feel you wasted 10K for a truck that won't perform to your expectations when towing.

$10K for an '02 F250 in itself is not bad, but .... For the most part, non-stock is a negative (some things add value like a tonneau cover, bed liner, steps and the like that show you 'care' for the vehicle) but performance enhancements are not part of the positive group - they sing 'abuse' to an appraiser.

To get an idea, go to the fordvehcles website, build a new F250 and indicate you have a trade - use the F250 you are looking at as the trade in vehicle. Indicate on there that the truck has 38" tires, a 6" lift and a programmer. You will see the trade in value drop like a rock - they may even tell you you could get more for it selling it yourself than they could give you.

If you want a F250, keep your eyes open for one with a V10. You would be much more happy than you would with the 5.4L.

Trending Topics

Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
God I hope I don't offend anyone here but I just don't understand why Ford would put a 5.4 in a F250.

I see them all the time with "fleet" trucks and some around town now and then but I just don't get it.

Old 08-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Think of the 5.4l in the superduty as a 4.2l in the F150...

Old 08-04-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah i agree i don't know why ford did put a 5.4 in a F250. But like i said i drove the truck and with the lower gears the truck has real good pick up. And it having 38" tall tires they will be coming off as soon as i buy ther truck. Thats if i do buy the truck. I would replace them with some 35" tall tires. That would help some to. I also think with a few performance bolt ons it'll do all i need it to do. I know a deisel is the way to go but i really don't want to go that route. I wish there was a easier way to make up my mind. Amd i might add , one of the biggest factors is money. I can get this truck now versus waiting several months for a different truck. So i am still loss as of now what to do. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 08-05-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Lil John SVT
Yeah i agree i don't know why ford did put a 5.4 in a F250. But like i said i drove the truck and with the lower gears the truck has real good pick up. And it having 38" tall tires they will be coming off as soon as i buy ther truck. Thats if i do buy the truck. I would replace them with some 35" tall tires. That would help some to. I also think with a few performance bolt ons it'll do all i need it to do. I know a deisel is the way to go but i really don't want to go that route. I wish there was a easier way to make up my mind. Amd i might add , one of the biggest factors is money. I can get this truck now versus waiting several months for a different truck. So i am still loss as of now what to do. Thanks to all for your input.
Have you tried it towing your travel trailer. I suggest asking the seller if you could try it out if you have not already. See if the rate that the gas gauge goes down is fine with you, and if so go for it.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is the tires. The load range on the tires is very important. So if they're that big the load range will be lower. The super duty's came with E load range, those big tires are probable d's maybe even c's. Thats no good for towing cause you'll end up with a fast wearing "squishy" tire when you have weight on it. And you need the e's on the super dutys because of the extra weight of the truck its self.

Quick Reply: 5.4 F250 question on power