F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

squealing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squealing brakes

my brakes on my 06 have a lot of pads left, and they squeal and squeak when i come to a stop almost all of the time. it's very annoying. when i had it in for my 30k maintenance i told the guy, and he said brakes were fine. some days it only does it when they're hot and other days it does it all of the time.

since the dealer is no help, i'll fix it myself.

any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Do you tow alot? Are you hard on the brakes? Do you off-road alot? These may or may not be contributors. I would go talk to another dealer if that ones not willing to work with you. Dealerships are competitive and love to take business from each other....Just my 2 centavos

Old 09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
i do not offroad. i drive very easy, and i do not tow that often.... if that helps anything

Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Over the web I wouldn't have any idea to fix them.

Maybe it could be a case that when the brakes were assembled they forgot to add the anti-squeak (bluish gunk) on the back of the pads.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier talk to the supervisor and if that's no good start to get opinions (and a possible hands on fix) from other dealerships...good luck.

I am sure some of the guys that view this thread will have other ideas - be patient and check how they reply....Good Luck!

Old 09-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Maybe it could be a case that when the brakes were assembled they forgot to add the anti-squeak (bluish gunk) on the back of the pads.
is that a joke or is there such a thing?

Old 09-12-2007, 01:09 PM
If they say the brakes are wearing normal and you want to fix the squeal yourself, just pull each caliper and pads off and apply some anti squeal stuff to the back of all the pads where they contact the caliper.

While you have them off, you will be able to inspect the pads and rotors yourself and guage when you will need to change pads. It may be soon depending on your driving habits if you already have over 30k miles.

FWIW, I know the frustration, I have been troubleshooting the rear brakes on the wifes Jeep Liberty for a week, it chewed up a set of new pads for some reason, so I replaced them and had the rotors turned again, something still doesn't seem right though.

Last edited by nvrenuff; 09-12-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
"If they say the brakes are wearing normal and you want to fix the squeal yourself, just pull each caliper and pads off and apply some anti squeal stuff to the back of all the pads where they contact the caliper. "

As written above per nvrenuff - no joke

Last edited by Pagnew; 09-12-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 PM
haha alright thanks yall...i was just a little leary about that when reading it. i had never heard of such an animal. thanks again.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by jonlorio
haha alright thanks yall...i was just a little leary about that when reading it. i had never heard of such an animal. thanks again.
Yup...sometimes I read things and ask 'they gotta be jokin' man'.

But really, ask the mechanic about it and he can show you what we mean. You can p/u the stuff at about any parts store, but unless you're mechanically inclined it best to leave the brake operations to the pros per safety reasons.

GOOD LUCK! and happy haulin'

Quick Reply: squealing brakes