F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Fuel leak problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel leak problem?

I've an 87 F250 6.9L diesel. Its starts - and then dies after 5 seconds ... and then takes 15-20 seconds of cranking to restart - and then runs just fine. Theres a more pronounced smell of diesel than normal. Its light duty - only gets run maybe 2 -3 times a week. I know its a fuel problem - but I cant see any obvious leaks.
Where and what should I be looking for ?
I'm reasonably mechanically minded - and a Scotsman - so I'd like to fix it myself if possible !
Dober_paw

Old 10-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Graphics Contributor
maybe fuel under the truck

Old 10-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Red face fuel under truck

Nope - looked there - nothing (other than the ild drips from the front diff and the tranny.)

I'm not sure if I'm looking for fuel leaking out - or air leaking in .

Dober_paw

Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Well....OK maybe fuel isn't on the ground, but is it leaking around the motor. I don't know.

When you try to restart the engine do you pump the accelerator a few times first? Maybe you're flooding the motor when restarting. That could be the smell part of the prob.

Fuel filter issue? It may be old and clogged up. It is an elder truck so some basic fuel line maitenance may be in order.

If it is starting and runs then dies and you have the diesel smell hopefully it is just a fuel delivery issue. I don't know much, but trying to give you 'fuel' for thought.

Timing?

There are alot of diesel folks on this forum so I am sure someone will help you get to the issue. Good luck!!

Last edited by Pagnew; 10-07-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:59 AM
Start by changing your fuel filter. If you're sure its leaking fuel, check the lines and such for leaks. My 7.3 Powerstroke had leaky o-rings on the fuel bowl drain. Not sure if its set up the same on the 6.9 or not...

Quick Reply: Fuel leak problem?