F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Issue with truck passing Mass state inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with truck passing Mass state inspection

Heres my dilemma:

I have a 2002 Ford F250 4x4 5.4L auto, that I bought 2 years ago with 48,0000 miles on it. The truck now has 68,000 miles on it, and I cannot get it to pass inspection.

I should have reneged on the deal when it took like 3 weeks to get a sticker on it, but I was foolish. They ended up having to reflash the PCM to get it to pass, so I figured it was some hard code stuck in the PCM that would not go away without a reflash, so I let it go, and they finally got a sticker on it.

So in Mass, the truck only needs to pass emissions testing every other year, so last year was no problem. This year the truck has to pass emissions testing and it is all done through the OBD 2 plug, and now the truck won't pass the readiness test, and I have been trying since last December to get it to pass. I have put the truck on the machine 20-25 times since December hoping it would get past the readiness test.

Now, I have unhooked the battery for a day drive 100+ plus miles, go back try it, still not ready, then I unhooked the battery for a week, drove 100+ miles, still not ready. I called the dealership I bought the truck from, asked them how much to reflash the PCM and they told me minimum of $300!!! I was pissed, I am not going to spend $329 every other year to get the truck to pass inspection.

Does anyone have experience with this problem, and know what I can do to get the truck to pass inspection here is Mass without having to pay to have the truck reflashed every time or buy a $400 PCM from Ford?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Maybe the pcm is bad, try a boneyard pcm and see what happens. Or a custom tune from Troyer, give him a call and see what he can do for you.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:23 AM
I cannot find a PCM for this truck anywhere in the bone yards. All the yards around here sell PCMs to the core companies.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM
http://www.car-part.com/ they are nation wide. I got my center console from them when everyone was buying them.

Quick Reply: Issue with truck passing Mass state inspection