F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

why a 5.4 in a f250?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pagnew
There are a number of farms here in West Michigan that use gassers for both work and 'errand' duty. So the V10 is more than up to the task as a heavy duty work truck as Ford intended this truck to be used! The cold start is another valid point from ManualF150 - especially when an emegency happens on the farm/ranch when the trucks been sitting for awhile in 10 degree weather and you're dealing with an immediate get-up-n-go situation... I get your point but the your above statement (in bold) is off the mark....
I don't think Ford would put that powerful of an engine in that heavy of a truck just for wally world runs. My point was (you only put part of that statement in bold BTW) if you are going to haul alot, which is unarguably what the truck is built to do, the diesel will pay for itself over the V-10 over time. Most modern diesels are not that bad to get going in the cold, especially if you remember to plug them in.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
I don't think Ford would put that powerful of an engine in that heavy of a truck just for wally world runs. My point was (you only put part of that statement in bold BTW) if you are going to haul alot, which is unarguably what the truck is built to do, the diesel will pay for itself over the V-10 over time. Most modern diesels are not that bad to get going in the cold, especially if you remember to plug them in.
Your quote "If you use the truck like Ford intended the diesel will pay for itself over time." did not mention anything about 'hauling'. Of course if most of the intention of an owners truck is used for HD towing most of the time the diesel is the engine. Also, heavy duty use doesn't always mean 'towing' - sometimes the farm/ranch owners need HD components for longevity. Still, the gasser beats the diesel when it comes to in the emergency situation I wrote in my previous post. Anyway - both engines have their merits and demerits and since the thread is about 'why the 5.4..." I won't comment anymore between diesels and gassers. We both made our points...cool?

Last edited by Pagnew; 10-30-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Your quote "If you use the truck like Ford intended the diesel will pay for itself over time." did not mention anything about 'hauling'. Of course if most of the intention of an owners truck is used for HD towing most of the time the diesel is the engine. Also, heavy duty use doesn't always mean 'towing' - sometimes the farm/ranch owners need HD components for longevity. Still, the gasser beats the diesel when it comes to in the emergency situation I wrote in my previous post. Anyway - both engines have their merits and demerits and since the thread is about 'why the 5.4..." I won't comment anymore between diesels and gassers. We both made our points...cool?
Both of you, lots of excellent points made.

I bought my F150 for work and commuting. I know the V6 is a workhorse that can be worked with no problem. I looked at it from the perspective as from, "Well, I could have more power, but in the end that doesn't necessarily mean it's a better engine." Since I was familiar with the 4.2l, and it never let me down... and the fact that I know it is an industrial engine over the other engines that Ford currently offers for the F150, I had good intentions of getting something that will outlast the rest. And heck, if a bunch of crazy clowns at Consumer Reports can even agree with me, then I must know what I am talking about. Not to mention I see a lot more older V6 F150's out on the road than I do see older V8 flavored F150's out on the road. But that's neither here nor there.

My statement above is somewhat applicable on the basis to whether to get the diesel or not... or the 5.4l or not... Personally, I've been rethinking my propositions of getting a diesel... is it really worth it? Now I'm seeing the true, uncut colors of owning a diesel, and from what I've read, and the people I've talked to, having all that power and torque, in the end, is just not worth it. At least not in my mind, unless you are using it for a business or possibly a large farm, where maintainance is just a drop in the bucket.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM
I got my 5.4 so I could pull my tractor around and for a reliable dd, otherwise for just hauling a lawn mower, my dirtbike or deer hunting my Ranger would more than adaquate and I could have just gotten a car for a dd. So far the 'ol girl has treated me well, I have no regrets and it sounds good with dual exhaust.

Anywho I really don't know how the 4.2 vs 5.4 came into this (kinda going all over the spectrum here) but I wouldn't mind getting a older diesel and putting a turbo on it, just for a dedicated tow pig. 7 mpg while towing gets old fairly quickly, my truck does do pretty good empty though at about 18mpg.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by 02XLT4X4
I got my 5.4 so I could pull my tractor around and for a reliable dd, otherwise for just hauling a lawn mower, my dirtbike or deer hunting my Ranger would more than adaquate and I could have just gotten a car for a dd. So far the 'ol girl has treated me well, I have no regrets and it sounds good with dual exhaust.

Anywho I really don't know how the 4.2 vs 5.4 came into this (kinda going all over the spectrum here) but I wouldn't mind getting a older diesel and putting a turbo on it, just for a dedicated tow pig. 7 mpg while towing gets old fairly quickly, my truck does do pretty good empty though at about 18mpg.
This thread is about the F250, not the F150. The 5.4L engine is the smallest engine available in the F250. The reason that a person would not want the 5.4L engine in the F250 is the same reason that you did not get the smaller engine in your F150. The 5.4L engine in the F250 is a dog. I promise you that unless the F250 is a regular cab, short bed that is never used to tow or haul anything, then you will not be happy with an F250 with a 5.4L engine.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by freekyFX4
This thread is about the F250, not the F150. The 5.4L engine is the smallest engine available in the F250. The reason that a person would not want the 5.4L engine in the F250 is the same reason that you did not get the smaller engine in your F150. The 5.4L engine in the F250 is a dog. I promise you that unless the F250 is a regular cab, short bed that is never used to tow or haul anything, then you will not be happy with an F250 with a 5.4L engine.
yea that was what i figured.........i am going to try to find a v10 or just order one i guess....thanks for everyones input

Old 11-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4

i dont believe they made a regular cab f250 with a short bed

Old 11-01-2007, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by dirtmerchant42
i dont believe they made a regular cab f250 with a short bed
I looked for one when I bought mine, and the supercab short bed was as close as I could get.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my next door neighbor has a scrap metal bussiness. hes got a 02 superduty with a 5.4 il help im load it up sometimes... fully loaded it wont even get out of its own way.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
consider this: until the 1999 F250 was introduced, the standard engine in the F250 and 350 was the 300 6-cylinder

Old 11-07-2007, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by crazynip
consider this: until the 1999 F250 was introduced, the standard engine in the F250 and 350 was the 300 6-cylinder
Thank God for progress!

Quick Reply: why a 5.4 in a f250?