F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Tuner for 02 F250 7.3L

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner for 02 F250 7.3L

My dad is in the process of buying a new '08 F450, so his old '02 F250 is being passed down to me and my '97 F150 is going as the trade in.

I want to put a tune on it, since I already have an XCal2 from troyer for the F150 that I want to have re-tuned. Thing is I dont know who is good for tunes for PSD's, so I need some advice on where to consider sending it.

Thanks

Old 10-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Don't get a tuner. A flip chip is alot nicer, and actually a little cheaper. With a tuner you must stop and load/unload each program. With a flip chip you can change programs on the fly without having to stop, just back out of the throttle. A tuner (unless its an SCT) is usually a "One size fits all" program that doesn't work as well on all trucks. A custom flip chip is customized for your truck and your driving habits.

My advice contact Jody Tipton at DP Tuner and he can help you decide what programs you'll need and fits best. Mine overall has been good with only a minor issue. My chip hardware was one of the old TS chips and there was a design flaw with them that TS would never openly admit, so they could get out of warranty claims. Jody has since designed his own hardware set and no longer uses TS (very good thing as TS really sucks). This pretty much takes this issue out of the equation. I haven't asked Jody about replacing my chip as I'm working on doing a Cummins swap in my truck, but I would most likely be able to trade my current chip into him for a new F16 chip.

Oh, and make sure you have a full set of gauges on the truck prior to putting your chip in. That is unless you want to melt down the new truck, literally.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
I already have an XCal2, I want to send it off to have it reprogrammed for the PSD.

The truck has EGT, trans temp, and boost guages (although the boost guage is currently disconnected because it has a leak somewhere and it was causing problems with fuel mileage).

Thanks for the tip on DP tuner, I sent them an email and I'll see what they can do for me.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
although the boost guage is currently disconnected because it has a leak somewhere and it was causing problems with fuel mileage

Thats not possible. The boost gauge has NO bearing whatsoever on mileage. you're simply monitoring manifold pressure, or intake charge pressure depending where you plumbed in the line. No matter how bad the leak is on that, you couldn't possibly reduce the actual boost enough to kill your mileage. I'd suggest drilling and tapping the manifold, but where is up to you. It depends if you want to watch the pressure at the turbo or the heads.

Did you mention to Jody that you have an SCT? Jody sells them and can write his own files to it. I had no interest in buying an SCT when they came out and haven't kept up on them. I don't know if you can use livewire with yours or not, but I THINK (emphasis on that) that it allows you to change on the fly.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Hmm, not saying I dont believe you, just telling you what I was told here. My dad was pretty sure that it was the issue...after installing the boost gauge he noticed a pretty decent drop in mileage (at least 2-3 MPG). It was on there for about a year or year and a half and the numbers weren't lining up with what he usually got.
He installed a new hose where we had tee-d in and the mileage went back up to normal.

But yes I did mention I had an XCal2. I bought one at the time because I wanted to be able to re-use it just in this sort of instance.
Im really not too worried about changing programs on the fly. I generally use one program and dont change it too often.
Looking at the tunes he listed for the XCal2, I would most likely be getting the Econo tune, Performance tune, and probably one of the tow tunes.

Last edited by Johngs; 10-22-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 PM
you should definitely go with a tune from jodi,whether you can use the sct or not.he really knows how to get alot of power out of 7.3's.it is nice bein able to change tunes on the fly with a diesel so if you have to pull somethin or if some little ricer catches you at a stop light and you just wanna blow his doors off.that's my opinion,if you're happy with just usin one program then go with it,but i would atleast try to get a tune from jodi.i ordered mine last night and he called me at 8:10 this mornin to get my truck info cause the email with it didn't go through,that's service right there.so i should have it and my gauges in this weekend.i got mine with a no start so you can take the **** off and the truck won't start,a high idle which is very nice in winter time with a diesel,a 20 and 60 hp tow,80 hp economy, and a 140hp extreme.so with a chip its not just about changin tunes on the fly you can have other settings like the cold start or valet setting if you need it.just so you keep that in mind,i don't know if you'd actually need that to justify parting with the sct or not.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Johngs
Hmm, not saying I dont believe you, just telling you what I was told here. My dad was pretty sure that it was the issue...after installing the boost gauge he noticed a pretty decent drop in mileage (at least 2-3 MPG). It was on there for about a year or year and a half and the numbers weren't lining up with what he usually got.
He installed a new hose where we had tee-d in and the mileage went back up to normal.

Hmm, I'm guessing that since you said he Tee'd into a line he's got it installed in the line to the MAP sensor. I didn't think anyone even did that anymore. I suppose if it was hemoraging air it COULD bleed off enough air to the MAP sensor throwing the PCM out of whack and making it defuel. That could make the fuel economy go wonky. I'd recommend drilling and tapping the manifold, you'll get MUCH better boost readings.

Quick Reply: Tuner for 02 F250 7.3L