F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 flareside?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyb04stx
are you real sure about the weight of your trailer, the MFG said mine weighed 6850, so i figured add another 500 for options. Well first time out we were practically empty no water, removed can goods and anything else we did not need, stopped at the CAT scales at Interstate 80 and Rt8 GCVW = 14,020, 20 lbs overweight with bare minimum supplies. If I were going to the Beach for a few weeks I would be so illegal, cant be doing that, I have a class A license! If I got in an accident and anyone got hurt or worse, they would put me behind bars!! Also some thing to think about, the other day I got off the turnpike at New Stanton, and there was a DOT just on the other side of the toll boths, they were pulling over pickups with car trailers, utility trailers and travel trailers! Thank goodness I was not towing at the time. It would be worth your while to get the whole rig weighed, my trucks max gcvw is 14,000. when weighed my front axle was ok rear axle was over by like 400lbs and the trailer axles were ok, per the weight stickers in the trailer and truck door. You might be surprised what you really weigh if you scaled it. If you are illegal and get in an accident, it is automatically your fault, an attorney will eat you alive!!
Great post, nice to see you know your stuff. I see all the "can I tow this" posts on RV.net. Funny what you see people towing with at camp sites. Not to say that the OP is over limits, just making a comment.

Best one I have seen so far. A Dodge 1500 Hemi towing a 30ft TT with 3 slides and a small boat. Even with WD bars, that rear end was almost on the ground.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:14 PM
jimmyo4stx

I don't know if this matters. But when I purchased my truck, it came with a class 3 sticker. 115.00 a year. I asked notary about it" They told my since my registration card said reg. gross wt: 7200 unladen weight 05332 class 3 I'm still learning all about this ( weight issues) Any help understanding this would be helpful.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
your truck has the 7200gvwr package, same as my 150, I have a class 2 sticker. All that means is your truck can legally weigh 7200lbs with passengers and payload. When towing you have to look at gcvw (Gross combined vehicle weight) which should also be 14,000 for your truck, should be on the sticker in the door, also you will find front and rear axle weights. When you scale the scale is divided into three sections so they can weigh front axle and rear axle of your truck, and also the axles on your trailer. Your trailer axle weights should be on a sticker usually in a kitchen cabinet. These are max. weights.

as an example lets say these are your max weights as per the stickers
Truck--front axle-3500 rear axle 3700 add them = 7200
Trailer axles--6800

you get scaled and these are your actual weights
Truck-- Front axle-3300 Rear axle 3900 =7200 Truck is ok on total weight but rear axle is over by 200 you probably could correct this with the hitch.
Trailer axles weight= 7000 Trailer axles are over by 200 this also may be ok if you adjusted the hitch to transfer the weight around, but it "will not change the total combined weight"-- Truck 7200 + Trailer 7000= 14,200, 200lbs over gcvw only way to correct this is loose weight! Hope this helps! You should only have to have a class 2 sticker on that truck. My F250 is a class 3 9600 gvwr. as soon as my sticker comes I will take pics of both so you can see.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM
jimmy 04stx---I have a picture in my gallery of my class 3 sticker. I never put the sticker on my truck.
everyone telling me. I should have class 2 sticker and some people didn't believe I had a class 3 sticker. I stopped at charapp and looked at the f-250 since I'm only 10 minutes away Diesels are around 6800.00 dollars more than v10. I seen v10 for 37000.00 sticker. diesel for 46000.00. Diesels are out of my price range. Best thing get everything weighed. You have the kitchen in the front of your camper, which is properly heavier than a bedroom, which I have. Would that make any difference. We might be go to going to kozy rest campground this weekend.

Last edited by 05extcabflare; 10-23-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Yea me too, But I absolutely love this V10! I bought it in Harmarville @ Shults Ford. They were way more willing to deal. Window sticker 39,180, I ended up with 31,000 and some change out the door, Yes that included tax title and plates. Charapp would not come even close to that!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Front kitchen really just places the weight in a different place, My trailers dry weight is 6850, which is about 250 more than yours if I remember correctly you said 6500 on yours. But you have to keep in mind that is dry weight without any options, like awning, air conditioner, propane tanks, spare tire and carrier if you have one, and any other options that you added, no water in any of the tanks etc. Then after you add food, linen, towels, bath supplies, drinks, TV, dvd player , dishes, cutlery, camper irons, wood for leveling, tools, etc. the weight grows pretty quick. I believe a safe rule of thumb is add 1200lbs to dry weight and you will be pretty close to your actual weight with minimum supplies. If you have alot of can goods and glass dishes, and a few cases of beer in the tub better add a little more. So I would guess your trailer is about 7700-8000lbs depending on what you have in there. This is definitely taking the F150 to its max limits, which in turn will give you max wear and tear on it. If you are going to cozy rest its only a few more miles up the road to the truck stops at I80 I would go and weight it, I think it cost $8.50 and you will know exactly where you stand. Then show the wife and tell her if she wants to keep camping you will need a Super Duty!!!

Quick Reply: F250 flareside?????