F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

99 7.3l tuner for mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 7.3l tuner for mileage

What is the best over the counter tuner for a 99 7.3l 2wd for mileage. It is for my dad and he is worried about the milegage he is getting as opposed the power he would get. He used to have an old 6.2l diesel that got rediculous mileage but had no power at all. He doesn't care about going fast, 98% of the time he runs empty anyway. Which chip is he looking for?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
What is the best over the counter tuner for a 99 7.3l 2wd for mileage.

That right there is an oxymoron. Over the counter crap is just that.....crap. You will not get big hp increases or anything performance/economy related from a "one size fits all" tuner like Edge, Superchips, Diablo, etc. If he really needs a chip call Jody at DP-Tuner. His chip will be tailored to the truck, so it actually works. However don't expect huge mileage gains with a chip. If he saw 2mpg average gain then he's doing really well. His driving habits will affect his mpg much more than any chip.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke73
That right there is an oxymoron. Over the counter crap is just that.....crap. You will not get big hp increases or anything performance/economy related from a "one size fits all" tuner like Edge, Superchips, Diablo, etc. If he really needs a chip call Jody at DP-Tuner. His chip will be tailored to the truck, so it actually works. However don't expect huge mileage gains with a chip. If he saw 2mpg average gain then he's doing really well. His driving habits will affect his mpg much more than any chip.
He drives like a Grandpa, because he is. I don't want to order anything from the states again because I got raped by the Canadian Government on my Troyer tunes when I ordered them out of the states.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Well Jody's economy tune is about the only one that has a good chance at upping his mileage. All the tuners I'd be suprised if you saw any increase in mileage. At any rate it would take quite awhile for it to pay for itself. I know my Edge Evo had no positive effect on my mileage, if anything it took it down some.

FYI, the best ROI for this would be having Jody reflash the PCM to his econo tune which is only $75. Though as you stated, you'll have to deal with the Canadian gov.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Well Jody's economy tune is about the only one that has a good chance at upping his mileage. All the tuners I'd be suprised if you saw any increase in mileage. At any rate it would take quite awhile for it to pay for itself. I know my Edge Evo had no positive effect on my mileage, if anything it took it down some.

FYI, the best ROI for this would be having Jody reflash the PCM to his econo tune which is only $75. Though as you stated, you'll have to deal with the Canadian gov.
any other mileage boosting mods for it then?

if he spent $400 on a chip it would take him about 10 months to pay for it with how much he drives if he gained 1.5-2mpg

Old 10-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Prepump and intank mods will help, but you have to drop the tank to do them. They are cheap, but not really much for a mileage mod, though they have helped in some cases. It all depends how much the factory setup is leaking air now. The regulated return might help a little, but thats another $400. As I stated before, driving habits have more to do with mpg than mods do. Since he's not after performance or power just let the thing be as you're not going to get very good ROI for mileage only mods.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
From what I read in the magazines (so take it for what its worth) an airfilter mod and exhaust system will get you more HP and Torque and still increase fuel mileage. It doesn't give you a lot maybe 10% - 15% but its still an increase.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Gotts2BMe
He drives like a Grandpa, because he is. I don't want to order anything from the states again because I got raped by the Canadian Government on my Troyer tunes when I ordered them out of the states.
Get a hold of Dave at Piers Diesel. He can help you out.

866-888-9396

Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Does Piers even deal in PSD parts? They're one of the top dogs in the Cummins world, but really don't hear of them in other brands.

Old 11-11-2007, 05:30 PM
They may have made their mark with dodge, but they also sell products for other brands.

Last edited by SeeYa02HD; 11-11-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 7.3l tuner for mileage