F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Regen

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen

I now have almost 7,000 miles on my truck, and I still havn't noticed anything different that I would think was a regen. The truck is running fine, and the exhaust shows no sign of soot, and is basically clean. The majority of my driving is at hwy speeds. Is it possible that it has only happened then, and I can't tell?

Bucktail

Old 10-27-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Bucktail
I now have almost 7,000 miles on my truck, and I still havn't noticed anything different that I would think was a regen. The truck is running fine, and the exhaust shows no sign of soot, and is basically clean. The majority of my driving is at hwy speeds. Is it possible that it has only happened then, and I can't tell?

Bucktail

Would you mind translating?

Old 10-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Im not a PSD dude...but ...uh ...what??

Old 10-27-2007, 01:06 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Im not a PSD dude...but ...uh ...what??
Thanks, just making sure it wasn't just me.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 AM
Sounded fine to me. Most people with the 6.4L notice when the truck goes into regen mode to clean the exhaust. He said he hasn't noticed this feature kicking in on his truck and was wondering if it was doing it subtly while going down the road. Unfortunetly I don't have the answer and just haven't had any interest at all in the new engine so I haven't kept up on it.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke73,

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what I was trying to ask the forum. I am hoping someone can answer my question. I don't have a clue as to tell when this happens.

Thanks,

Bucktail

Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Weird! Sounds kinda like a chimney sweep thing

Old 10-27-2007, 02:25 PM
The 6.4 has two forms of regen passive and active. Active regen is the one you will notice when rpms go up and so do your egts. Passive regen is what the truck does all the time. As long as the trucks egts stay above 600 degreese for an extended period of time the dpf will stay clean and will have no need for active regen. Sence you do mostly highway driving that is probibly why it has not done it.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I suspect your truck has just done it and you haven't noticed. My truck has 3,000 miles on it now and I know for a fact of 4 regens its done...and I am sure its done it more. Twice I got a ton of white smoke and the two other times I just noticed the RPMs where up and the exhaust was HOOOOT! All 4 times I noticed it I was driving and then went to park...had I not started to stop I would have never noticed it. So to answer your question, I would bet money you just havent noticed it.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:45 PM
My regen cycles are very few and far between and hardly noticeable. The ONLY way I can tell when my truck is in regen is when I get to my destination and shift the truck into PARK and take my foot off the brake, the engine idle goes to 1200 RPM. If I press the brake pedal, the engine idle drops to 800 RPM. I always press the brake pedal when this happens, then wait for the engine idle to drop to 800, then shut the engine off. It just makes me feel better...probably has no benefit. The regen cycle that was interrupted will finish the next time you drive the truck and the engine gets up to normal operating temperature. Hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
My regen cycles are very few and far between and hardly noticeable. The ONLY way I can tell when my truck is in regen is when I get to my destination and shift the truck into PARK and take my foot off the brake, the engine idle goes to 1200 RPM. If I press the brake pedal, the engine idle drops to 800 RPM. I always press the brake pedal when this happens, then wait for the engine idle to drop to 800, then shut the engine off. It just makes me feel better...probably has no benefit. The regen cycle that was interrupted will finish the next time you drive the truck and the engine gets up to normal operating temperature. Hope this helps.

Man I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this something new for 08?

what is it and what does it mean, purpose, blah blah blah?

JP

Old 10-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Man I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Is this something new for 08?

what is it and what does it mean, purpose, blah blah blah?

JP
Yup...I hear ya! It seems to be an engine cleaning/emmission some-sort-of-something to make the engine maintain a certain cleanliness and reliable running engine management system...Heck, I don't know - I'm trying to learn though

Old 10-28-2007, 11:40 PM
The 6.4L engine in the 08 Super Duty meets the new EPA emissions requirements for diesel engines. Part of that is that the truck has a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) installed on the exhaust prior to the muffler but after the catalytic convertor. The DPF catches particles in the exhaust and when the backpressure in the exhaust gets to a certain level, the truck goes into a regen cycle, where the EGT's go up to about 1200 degrees and extra fuel is dumped into the system that actually ignites in the DPF and burns off the soot that has built up in the DPF. These cycles are hardly noticeable, unless they happen while hauling or towing a heavy load, then I have heard that they are more noticeable. Fuel mileage is also slightly decreased during regen cycles.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 PM
Diesel particulate filters (DPF) reduce diesel PM emissions through filtration. This technology is very efficient in controlling diesel PM emissions, and has been demonstrated to reduce diesel PM by over 90 percent. DPF can be categorized into several classifications: passive, active, or flow-through.

Passive DPFs use a catalytic material that allows the trapped PM to be burned-off or oxidized at a lower temperature. For the system to be successful, the engine must be operated such that the exhaust maintains a minimum temperature for a certain period of time. Otherwise, diesel PM will accumulate in the filter, eventually causing operating problems. Several passive DPFs have been verified for on-road applications. To date no DPFs have been verified for portable engines. The duty cycle for equipment must be such that the engine exhaust temperature and its duration is above the manufacturer’s specifications. If temperatures are below the DPF’s manufacturer’s specifications, soot accumulates in the filter, increasing exhaust backpressure resulting in engine damage. Each engine should be tested to see if its duty cycle would accommodate a passive DPF.

An active DPF performs the same function as a passive DPF. The difference is that the active DPF does not use heat from the engine exhaust to oxidize the trapped PM. An active DPF is better suited for low exhaust temperatures or engines with high PM emissions. Most common methods use electrical regeneration by passing an electrical current through the filter medium, injecting fuel to provide additional heat to oxidize the trapped PM, or adding fuel-borne catalyst or other reagents to initiate regeneration. Some DPFs induce regeneration automatically on-board the vehicle or equipment when a specified back pressure is reached. Others use an indicator, such as a warning light, to alert the operator that regeneration is needed, requiring the operator to initiate the regeneration process. A number of filters are removed and regenerated externally by a regeneration station.

Flow through filter (FTF) technology is a relatively new technology for reducing diesel PM emissions. Unlike a DPF, in which only gasses can pass through the substrate, the FTF does not physically "trap" and accumulate PM. Instead, exhaust flows through a medium (such as wire mesh) that has a high density of interrupted flow channels, thus giving rise to turbulent flow conditions. DOCs have straight flow passages and laminar flow conditions. The FTFs, with its turbulent flow, allow the exhaust gases to have more contact with the catalytic surface and longer residence times. The FTF medium is typically treated with an oxidizing catalyst that is able to reduce emissions of PM, ROG, and CO, or used in conjunction with a fuel-borne catalyst. Any particles that are not oxidized with the FTF flow out with the rest of the exhaust and do not accumulate.

The filtration efficiency of an FTF is lower than that of a DPF, but the FTF is much less likely to plug under unfavorable conditions, such as high PM emissions, low exhaust temperatures and emergency circumstances. The FTF, therefore, is a candidate for use in applications that are unsuitable for DPFs.

Combinations of more than one technology are also being explored to maximize the amount of diesel PM reduction. For example, fuel-borne catalysts can be combined with any of the three main hardware technologies discussed above: DPF, FTF or DOC.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Diesel particulate filters (DPF) reduce diesel PM emissions through filtration. This technology is very efficient in controlling diesel PM emissions, and has been demonstrated to reduce diesel PM by over 90 percent. DPF can be categorized into several classifications: passive, active, or flow-through.

Passive DPFs use a catalytic material that allows the trapped PM to be burned-off or oxidized at a lower temperature. For the system to be successful, the engine must be operated such that the exhaust maintains a minimum temperature for a certain period of time. Otherwise, diesel PM will accumulate in the filter, eventually causing operating problems. Several passive DPFs have been verified for on-road applications. To date no DPFs have been verified for portable engines. The duty cycle for equipment must be such that the engine exhaust temperature and its duration is above the manufacturer’s specifications. If temperatures are below the DPF’s manufacturer’s specifications, soot accumulates in the filter, increasing exhaust backpressure resulting in engine damage. Each engine should be tested to see if its duty cycle would accommodate a passive DPF.

An active DPF performs the same function as a passive DPF. The difference is that the active DPF does not use heat from the engine exhaust to oxidize the trapped PM. An active DPF is better suited for low exhaust temperatures or engines with high PM emissions. Most common methods use electrical regeneration by passing an electrical current through the filter medium, injecting fuel to provide additional heat to oxidize the trapped PM, or adding fuel-borne catalyst or other reagents to initiate regeneration. Some DPFs induce regeneration automatically on-board the vehicle or equipment when a specified back pressure is reached. Others use an indicator, such as a warning light, to alert the operator that regeneration is needed, requiring the operator to initiate the regeneration process. A number of filters are removed and regenerated externally by a regeneration station.

Flow through filter (FTF) technology is a relatively new technology for reducing diesel PM emissions. Unlike a DPF, in which only gasses can pass through the substrate, the FTF does not physically "trap" and accumulate PM. Instead, exhaust flows through a medium (such as wire mesh) that has a high density of interrupted flow channels, thus giving rise to turbulent flow conditions. DOCs have straight flow passages and laminar flow conditions. The FTFs, with its turbulent flow, allow the exhaust gases to have more contact with the catalytic surface and longer residence times. The FTF medium is typically treated with an oxidizing catalyst that is able to reduce emissions of PM, ROG, and CO, or used in conjunction with a fuel-borne catalyst. Any particles that are not oxidized with the FTF flow out with the rest of the exhaust and do not accumulate.

The filtration efficiency of an FTF is lower than that of a DPF, but the FTF is much less likely to plug under unfavorable conditions, such as high PM emissions, low exhaust temperatures and emergency circumstances. The FTF, therefore, is a candidate for use in applications that are unsuitable for DPFs.

Combinations of more than one technology are also being explored to maximize the amount of diesel PM reduction. For example, fuel-borne catalysts can be combined with any of the three main hardware technologies discussed above: DPF, FTF or DOC.
Thank you for the explaination....I am now an 'educated man'.

Quick Reply: Regen