F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Looking for a diesel truck but which one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a diesel truck but which one?

I'm not unfamiliar with trucks in general, driven them since I was 16 but at any rate I've been looking into buying a truck (I've always leased) and since it's something I plan to hang onto and customize I would like to start with something that has good bones if you will. Never owned a diesel so this is all very new to me in that respect. With that being said. I don't want new anymore....$48k or whatever is more than I care to shell out when I can save a great deal of money assuming I can find a well maintained used truck.

So one of my first question would be 7.3 or the smaller 6.?....I'm aware the new 08's have a larger 6 liter diesel but that's out of the question since I'm looking for used and it's doubtful I'll end up with an 08.

Looking for some pro's and cons about both engines, also would rather a manual trans.

I plan to lift the truck, Run At least 38's maybe 40's. Banks kit or something comparable. Looking for a good candidate that is going to make great power, and last. Dailiy driver so can anybody shine some light on this and get me started?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Get the 7.3l PS V8 with the 6 speed stick (L plus 1-5 (5=o/d))...

That engine will last a really long time...

Just be prepared for some high costs of maintainance... as it costs more to maintain diesels than gassers.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:20 PM
a well maintained 7.3 will last forever. the 6.0 will make a little more power but they have some issues. the head studs stretch and i don't know if its the factory tuning or what but they act kinda squirrely sometimes with a load (or it mighta just been my grandpa's) if you don't want to have to worry about it i'd go with a 7.3. but te 03's don't have forged rods like the older 7.3's if you want some serious hp out of it

Old 11-05-2007, 12:31 PM
thanks for the info...What's a good price for a 7.3 f250 Crew Cab SB 4x4 6 spd w/ a reasonable amt of milage and good condition. I want the thing loaded up Leather seats, ect...Ballpark figure if you will. Might go shopping this week.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 PM
1999 - 2003 7.3 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 with 100K miles will be in the 15K range. Good luck finding one with a 6 speed.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by way fast witey
te 03's don't have forged rods like the older 7.3's if you want some serious hp out of it

Try 01 and newer for the PMRs. A rare few of the VERY VERY early 2001 produced trucks had an engine with forged rods. Though the forged rods aren't much good over 500hp. PMRs are good to about 400 with the right programming, but can leave through the side of the block with much much less if its crappy programming.

Stay away from anything that says Banks unless you like paying triple the price (seriously, its that much more for the same power).

Really the best engine for durability is the Cummins. The PSD just can't touch it, but unfortunetly you gotta do the leg work if you want it in a Ford.

Quick Reply: Looking for a diesel truck but which one?