F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Rotella TSB rumor

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotella TSB rumor

Heard a rumor about a TSB floating around regarding engine problems/EGR issues when using Rotella.

I almost fell out of my chair when I heard this, so i called Ford and gave them my VIN, nothing came up.

I asked the dealer this week while wating on a new battery and they said yes there is a TSB about this. He said, well, its not really a TSB persay, its more of a Communication regarding Rotellla and cold starts.

Anyone else know of this?

Old 11-14-2007, 07:48 PM
I use the Castrol Tection oil in the green bottle in my 08. The 08 requires CJ-4 certified oil and I haven't seen a Rotella that was CJ-4 certified yet.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Haven't heard anything, but whats wrong with Motorcraft?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Haven't heard anything, but whats wrong with Motorcraft?
It's not easy for me to run to Ford to get an overpriced oil change.

I get mine done with folks I know for 52 bucks. Ford Charges 120.00 For that price I can get Royal Purple

Old 11-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I get mine done with folks I know for 52 bucks.
Wow, $52 is a great price for a diesel oil change...that's what i pay to do my own.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Wow, $52 is a great price for a diesel oil change...that's what i pay to do my own.
Thought Ford cracked down on the DIY'er regarding oil changes. Hard to prove when you do it. Ford told me it was a NO NO and besides how the hell are you catching 15 qts of oil?

I get Rotella (4 gallons), and new filter in 20 min plus all my fluids for 52.95 at the local Valovline place.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Thought Ford cracked down on the DIY'er regarding oil changes. Hard to prove when you do it. Ford told me it was a NO NO and besides how the hell are you catching 15 qts of oil?
5 gallon bucket fits perfectly under my drain pan.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
5 gallon bucket fits perfectly under my drain pan.
Just what I need, another bucket in my garage.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM
I stop by Advance and if they don't have the Motorcraft diesel oil in stock, he will order and get it to me the next day. Filter is $19 and some change. Typical 16qt oil change w/filter cost me $53 dollars. I only need 15 qt in truck though, so I always store the extra qt. With the Fumoto valve, I can change oil in a matter of minutes. Takes longer to pour all the oil in than anything else.
As for proof, I retain my reciept that has the date of purchase on it, I tear off the top of the box that contains the filter info, write the info in my diesel booklet and put the reciept and box lid in their. If that isn't enough proof for them, they can have the truck back!

PS, After thought, I did the same thing with the fuel filters I got from IH.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by harleyrider
I stop by Advance and if they don't have the Motorcraft diesel oil in stock, he will order and get it to me the next day. Filter is $19 and some change. Typical 16qt oil change w/filter cost me $53 dollars. I only need 15 qt in truck though, so I always store the extra qt. With the Fumoto valve, I can change oil in a matter of minutes. Takes longer to pour all the oil in than anything else.
As for proof, I retain my reciept that has the date of purchase on it, I tear off the top of the box that contains the filter info, write the info in my diesel booklet and put the reciept and box lid in their. If that isn't enough proof for them, they can have the truck back!

I enjoyed changing my own oil with my F150's, it was easy and I could do 2 changes then take my oil to the drop off....but for 52.95, I don't have to do anything. I'll stick to the quick lube place. They know me, I watch them and all is well.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by harleyrider

I dunno about you, but my Motorcraft oil comes in 5 qt jugs, not 4.

Oh yeah, and if you drive enough to change your oil twice in one month, Advance will probably give you a discount on oil.. :o

Old 11-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I buy individual quarts at about 1.89 each. Never had much luck finding the jugs around here. I change oil at 6000 miles and it takes me a while to get that. It has averaged about 2 oil changes a year. I drive a Crown Vic mostly, truck is for camping and farming...

Quick Reply: Rotella TSB rumor