F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

plugging up

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the glow plugs are in good shape there is no reason to plug it in. The only time its really required is in sub zero temps. Mine only has a problem starting below 0*F, and thats with weak glow plugs. Unless the temps are forcast to be -15*F or lower it won't get plugged in.

As for the fuel draining back to tank the check valves on the fuel lines feeding the rear of the heads have probably lost a little tolerance. How long exactly is it sitting when it does this? If you want it to start better after its sat, turn the key on for 10-15 sec (don't crank), turn it off, then wait another 10-15 sec and crank. This will not only prewarm the cylinders, but will also refill the bowl. It will still crank a little longer as it would have to refill the rails in the heads. Though I'd be curious if after it has sat for a period to pull off the fuel bowl lid and see what the level is in the bowl. If its full then thats probably not the issue. Past that I'd want to pull the cover off the hpop resivoir to see if its full or not. Both will have to be full before it can fire.

I also would not leave the truck plugged in for a long period of time. It will wearout the heating element much quicker. If I have to plug mine in I simply put it on a timer for 1-2hrs before I have to leave. Though since I moved out of Iowa winters are a thing of the past. Heck it was almost 40* here today, and have not had to plug it in for 3 years now.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Sometimes plugging in the truck will give the cylinders enough heat to seal and build enough compression to fire. If it won't start well if it's not plugged in, then first I would first check the glow plugs and especially the glow plug relay. If these things were ok then I would suspect low compression. If the only thing that changes is that you plugged it in, and then it starts fine, compression is probably low. Check for worn vanes on the turbo indicating dirt getting past the air filter. A lot of factory airboxes get warped and allow dust to get into the engine. Also K&N filters and such tend to let dust through too. You shouldn't have to plug it in unless temperatures are well below freezing.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
i let it set 2 weeks without starting it that was the worst case, i drive it a little more now (just cant resist even though fuel is 3.40 a gal here)
at least every other day and i havent had any trouble now i guess i will have to let it set for another 2 weeks and see what it will do

Old 12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
mine starts easier when its been plugged in. its gonna help it get started easier casue theres less friction with warm oil. but i think i need a set of glow plugs so that could help alot

Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
I doubt theres compression issues since it starts easy after its been started the first time. If it was compression it would start hard the first time each day, or anytime it sits for hours on end. If its only hard to start after it sits for 2 weeks and starts easy after sitting only a few days I'd tend to lean towards either the fuel or the oil draining out of their respective resivoirs. You might also check the engine valley and passenger side block area right under the exhaust manifold and see if they're dry. Its possible the viton o-rings that seal the fuel shut off valve are weeping causing the bowl to slowly drain over time.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:20 PM
mine started fine at -20C (-2F?) without being plugged 'up', it surged maybe two times and leveled out to a nice idle. Try to not let it be a regular thing though.

Quick Reply: plugging up