F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright i will send him an email on parts and what makes my turbo whisle nice and loud i love the sound, and the best intake kit is?

Old 12-01-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
FYI, the stock box being the better choice only applies to the 6.0L. The 7.3L which the OP has is a very crappy box. The SCT is the ticket for a 6.0L, but there are better options for a 7.3L. I don't know that they came out with a switch on the fly option for the 7.3L for it. The 7.3L uses pretty old technology and doesn't have near the features the 6.0L gadgets get.
Yes, sorry I didn't realize you have the 7.3. My old truck with the 7.3 I replaced my stock box with a K&N, seems like it collected a lot of dirt though. I worked in the oilfield granted, but I was cleaning my filter 2 times a month, but there may be better choices out there.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:18 PM
alright i will. what makes my turbo do that sweat whisling sound? and what is the best intake for the 7.3?

Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by ford7.3SD
alright i will. what makes my turbo do that sweat whisling sound? and what is the best intake for the 7.3?
A turbo back exhaust along with defoiling the IC tubes will give it a nice whistle. Best intake? Something that isn't K&N.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by ford7.3SD

Make your own. I'm still trying to get my mind around how companies like AFE can sell an intake for $400+ when you can build a functional identical intake for less tha $100. Since you have an 01 you'll have to remove the airbox and get a battery try from another F series truck. If not then you can try and modify your box to keep the battery tray. After that you need a 4" long (approximately) piece of 4" OD exhaust pipe. Put that in the end of the tube that used to connect to the airbox. On the other end put on the filter of your choice. I would recommend the Green 2169 as it uses a cloth media (not gauze like K&N) so its reuseable. Plus that particular filter flows 1440cfm, which is enough for a twin turbo setup. Going from the stock box to a Napa 6637 paper filter was a huge improvement, and then it was at least the same improvement in spoolup time going to the Green filter.

Anyhow the whistle you hear is the sound the turbo makes when it spools up. A larger exhaust (4") with a free flowing intake will reduce the restriction making the turbo spool faster and make it a little louder. Right now with my 5" exhaust and my truck in the 80hp econo setting on my chip and I get on it hard and let off the turbo will sound similar to a ball bearing unit.

Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Since you have an 01 you'll have to remove the airbox and get a battery try from another F series truck.
What about on a 2000? What needs to be modified?

Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Same airbox. The only truck thats different from 99-03 is the early 99. Even then there was a TSB to update the early 99 box to the 99.5-03 box. Not all were updated, like mine wasn't. The difference is that the early 99 used a separate air box and battery tray, unlike the later ones that uses an integrated system. The intake line from the CCV to the box is different as the 99.5-03 points more directly at the fenderwell, whereas the early box points more towards the headlight. The only thing that really needs to be changed on the DIY intake is that for an early 99 tube you need a 45* elbow as opposed to a short straight piece.

For my intake I decided to ditch everything from the CCV out. Right now I've got the adapter line from the turbo inlet going straight into a 4" fabbed intake line to the filter. I decided to put the filter minder in my new line, but if I was doing it over again I'd just eliminate it. Theres also an intake charge temp sensor in the side of the box. Just pull that out of the box and zip tie it up out of the way.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:26 AM
i've got the napa filter they have em on ebay for like 120 or somethin with a nice elbow to keep the filter off the fender to get some better airflow and has a real nice silicone boot. go with the dp tuner you can get a high idle any performance/towing setting you could ever need and the tunes are perfect

Old 12-07-2007, 10:57 PM
well im getting an AEM intake for xmas and bought my gauges on thursday and they get installed on monday, i will look in to a dp tuners

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
the gauges are awesome i had them installed today

Quick Reply: mods