F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

SCT Junk?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up SCT Junk?

My buddy just bought a sweet 03' f250 SD with a 6.0, ITs his first diesel so hes pretty excited about it. Another buddy had a SCT programmer laying around so we hooked it up and gave it a couple of test runs.

Driving this truck with this chip was fun it was pretty quick, but it shifted really, extremly, hard it made some of the most awful noises. If you just punch the gas and let out it makes two hard thumping noices.

Has any one else run this chip? I didnt like the way it ran we took it out and all the noise stopped and it was fine, the hard shifts stopped all the noise stopped and it was fine.

An hour later we ran across an old buddy back in town that was trying to sell his banks chip. He was saying it did all this stuff like defueling during shifts, and supposedly the safest chip you can run, and theres no way you can tear up your tranny with this chip. He claims it the best chip you can get from banks, he sais he paid like 1600 for it and the monitor.

anyone know anything about this chip he wants 700 for it. how does it compare with the SCT. The reason i ask is if he runs the SCT the guy is going to let him HAVE it, but if he dont my buddy is going to keep it.

So what do you guys think.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
The thunk thunk thunk shifting is normal for every stock 4R100 with some miles on it. It means it'll be nearing the end of its life soon. My truck has 114K on it and when under high boost getting on the highway, it'll occasionally thunk into O/D. How many miles are on his truck? And your buddy with the Banks junk is an idiot. Yes, it probably is the best chip from Banks, but you could get a better chip for far less money and make much more power. And the Banks stuff can easily tear up a transmission too.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:53 PM
the truck has 102,000 on it and it has been very well taken care of. I wouldn't think the tranny is going bad. when you take the program out it shifts perfectly fine and its very smooth its just with that SCT its the exact opposite. have you ever run one of these SCT programs, and if you have what is your opinion. I personaly dont like it, we tried tuning the shift points with the programmer but they all felt the same.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
?

Originally Posted by liftITupHIGH
the truck has 102,000 on it and it has been very well taken care of. I wouldn't think the tranny is going bad. when you take the program out it shifts perfectly fine and its very smooth its just with that SCT its the exact opposite. have you ever run one of these SCT programs, and if you have what is your opinion. I personaly dont like it, we tried tuning the shift points with the programmer but they all felt the same.
post this in the computer chips forum or @ www.sctflash.com

Old 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
I haven't had any experience with the SCT, but with 102K on it and adding that much power, the tranny is asking for help, especially if it has been towing heavy loads during its life.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Question:

Where these stock tunes from SCT?

If not, how sure are you that the strategy code of that engine was the same as the truck that the SCT was used for the first time?

It is possible that the strategy codes didn't match and thus the PCM/TCM was confused on the program being put in it.

also remeber that when you change the program in the PCM/TCM, it takes up to 50 miles for both to go through the tables in learn driving behavior etc.

Just my .02 on it.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
the truck it was used on the first time was a 7.3L it was never used on a 6.0 this is the first time. so we are assuming it put the right one on it. and we didnt know about the 50 miles deal. should we try the chip again and drive it normal for fifty or so miles. and after the fifty miles rape it and see if its any better. because we put the chip in and immediatly flat footed it everywere we went

Trending Topics

Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 PM
the truck it was used on the first time was a 7.3L it was never used on a 6.0 this is the first time. so we are assuming it put the right one on it. and we didnt know about the 50 miles deal. should we try the chip again and drive it normal for fifty or so miles. and after the fifty miles rape it and see if its any better. because we put the chip in and immediatly flat footed it everywere we went
whoops.....there is your problem. You cannot use a 7.3 tune in a 6.0. I hope you put it back in stock. Different engine, different strategies.

Call up ol Eric at ID and get a Street tune for that 6.0 and try it again. You'll be pleased.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
Wow... I'm suprised it even ran at all.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:28 PM
The sct chip has different vehicles you can put it on all mustangs from like 96 to 04 and all 6.0L diesels and all 7.3L diesels and it has some other vehicles. when it first comes on you pick the vehicle you are installing it on and this was the first time it was used on a 6.0L diesel ohh yeah you can use it on any ford vehicle with a 5.0 even a freakin old ford explorer

personally i dont think it should be one size fits all!! know what i mean

Old 12-02-2007, 08:38 PM

personally i dont think it should be one size fits all!! know what i mean

You're exactly right, which is EXACTLY why you call up Innovative Diesel and have them write up a good set of custom tuned programs for it.

Originally Posted by Zaairman
The thunk thunk thunk shifting is normal for every stock 4R100 with some miles on it.

I guess you missed the 03 with a 6.0L statement in the first post. That means its got a 5R110 Torqushift and not a 4R100. As for the clunk could either be a sign of the trans on its way out, or the shift strategy is that far off. The trans in a stock truck may seem fine, but the addition of a chip will bring any minor problems front stage. Basically think of it as a preview of coming attractions if you will.

If he can get the SCT for free compared to $700 for a POS Banks 6 gun then it seems pretty obvious what to do. The SCT is pretty much the way to go for the 6.0L for overall performance and durability. As stated your friend with the 6 Gun is an idiot. True the Banks does have those features, but in no way is it impossible for it NOT to blow a transmission. I also hope he's planning on getting a full set of gauges (EGT preturbo, Boost and Trans), especially being an 03 with a 6.0L. That year of 6.0L was THE most problematic, as well as the early 2004 built trucks (with an 03 built engine).

Last edited by powerstroke73; 12-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
The sct chip has different vehicles
Point of clarification, SCT is not a chip.

Cheers

Old 12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
You're exactly right, which is EXACTLY why you call up Innovative Diesel and have them write up a good set of custom tuned programs for it.
Amen.

Funny story: Yesterday some teenagers in a lifted Dodge, dual exhaust pulled up to me at a light to get on the ramp of a freeway. He was revening his engine like he wanted to run. "Poor little Stock KR Ford" doesn't stand a chance right against a tricked out CTD.

All I saw was his *** in the RW Mirror and his black smoke. He was toast.

After on the highway I let him pass me and you could see his buddies giving him chit for getting dropped by the Stock Ford running Eric's basic Street Tune.

I laughed for at least 10 min.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 PM
i really appreciate the help guys, does this inovative diesel have a web site if not a number, it sounds like the way to go with any diesel is to have something tuned for you and yours

Old 12-02-2007, 10:41 PM
i really appreciate the help guys, does this inovative diesel have a web site if not a number, it sounds like the way to go with any diesel is to have something tuned for you and yours
Sure does www.innovativediesel.com

Talk to Eric or any one of his staff members. He sells tunes al la carte too so you don't have to buy three if you don't want to.

Just give him all the specs of your truck and hold on....you are going to freak out when you get his tunes.

Hard part will be keeping your right foot out of it.

Quick Reply: SCT Junk?