F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

7.3L missing and on/off CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L missing and on/off CEL

Hey folks, my buddy has a 7.3 powerstroke in a 96 or 97 F350 i forget which year, anywho, he said when its cold it misfires and the CEL comes on then goes away. He tried to pull codes but it says passed and node codes present. Any way to retrieve the code(s) being thrown when the CEL is being lit and then it goes off?

Thanks for ANY info!

Dustin

Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Is he trying to us a scanner similar to what they use at Autozone to read the codes? If he is then he won't ever get anything related to the engine. You need a reader that can handle enhanced OBDII codes. Thats typically the high end Snap-on scanners and similar units. Regular OBDII readers would only get errors related to the chasis and driveline, nothing engine related. Take the truck to the dealer and have them read it. Do not shut the truck off after it does it if he wants the codes read. Chances are its setting a soft code. Just taking a stab at it I would guess that he's having a harness under one of the valve covers intermitantly making contact. Its either partially unplugged (theres a fix for this issue) or he's got some burnt pins.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Thank you powerstroke 73, he has thinks maybe it has something to do with his cam position sensor, TPS or even his high pressure oil pump since that could effect the injectors.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:22 PM
Wouldn't be anything in the hpop itself, but could be the IPR. Nothing in the hpop itself can really go bad aside from a seal or the gears getting worn. CPS might be a stretch as they typically don't throw a code or cause a rough condition. Usually when they go bad the truck just shuts off without warning. If he wants to check it he can get a new one. FYI Ford has a new part number for them. The old part number is $180, the new one is $30, same exact part.

Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 AM
CPS usually won't throw a code, the motor will just die and/or not start out of the blue. New CPS can easily be found for under $20. The TPS going bad usually causes surging or no response when the gas pedal is pushed.

Hey Powerstroke, did you see that Ford is doing a recall on the CPS?

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=110699

Old 12-06-2007, 09:11 AM
IPR would be internal pressure regulator right?

Also yes his throttle response, he said sometimes if he nails it it won't do anything, like its still idling, won't even bog down. I told him to try that, with over 200,000 on the OEM one i imagine it could be getting tired.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:35 PM
I didn't know that a recall had been issued for them. Only took 13 years for that to hit. I'm wondering if this new and improved sensor is the "blue" CPS that I know some people have run in the past. This was a heavier duty on that supposedly was more accurate, thus better performance and mileage. Needless to say it didn't live up to all the hype.

Quick Reply: 7.3L missing and on/off CEL