F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

question on plugging in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Okieboy
Diesels are very notorious to pulling the cylinder sleeves out, I.E. new engine block.

Why are you talking about sleaves? The PSD has never used them. Thats typically an OTR or large IL6 engine feature.

Plugging it in will help bring some of the oil up to a higher temp (not all the oil is affected) which lowers its viscosity allowing it to flow better. This will lube the engine faster, but also will aid in starting as thick oil does not flow through the injector passages very well. Aside from that and a reduced load on the glow plug and starting system theres not advantage to plugging in. I start mine at 20* and below all the time with only the glow plugs. Never have an issue unless its sub zero temps and even then its not a given its going to start hard. Mine only gets plugged in if its going to be -10* or colder which is pretty much never out here. I wouldn't sweat it, especially at 40*. Heck at 20* ambient I put it on high idle and in 10-15min when I go outside its up to operating temp.

Though just remember, the trans isn't circulating oil during this time, so its still cold so you'll want to take it easy on it.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:12 PM
Sorry, never tore into a PSD, yet! I assumed that all or most diesels were sleeved. I've heard that people have damaged sleeves by not allowing the diesels to warm up regularly before they accelerate or drive to irratic.

Also, This is for you PS73. Have you heard of the PSD giving problems at altitude with the temp @ 20 degrees. I went skiing last year in CO and later that evening went to start with glow plug only and had a no start. Waited for the forest service to assist me and the officer told me all chevy diesels, dodge had no problems but the PSD were always a no start @ 10K ft. You got any clues? Had to give it a shot of starting fluid (I don't like doing that).

Last edited by Okieboy; 12-21-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:46 PM
I live way up in fort. st john where we have -40* winters. block heaters are a must otherwise the engine can sieze up. I wouldnt bother plugging it in unless it gets below freezing personally.

Quick Reply: question on plugging in my truck