F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

question on plugging in my truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on plugging in my truck

I have a 2006 and I have never plugged it in. even when it was 0 degrees out it had no problem starting, but I heard that its bad to start a diesle that cold and i really should plug it in? Anyways, my question is i plugged it in last night and noticed no difference in the way it started and it took the same amount of time to warm up. Is this normal?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You may not notice any difference on a relatively new truck like yours, but as your battery and starter age, you'll want to be plugging that bad boy in. Our general rule (for our fleet) is any time it dips below 20 degrees, they all get plugged in. On the older trucks, it really does make them easier to start.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:02 PM
How long did you have the truck plugged in before you started it?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:31 PM
DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

Do all F250 PSD's come with this feature? If so, where would I find mine?

My neighbor has a F350 and he has some wire that always hangs down in the front of the grill...he didn't know what it was and to me from a distance it appeared to be a block heater thingymajig.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM
The plug should be on the drivers side of your truck around the tow hook. If not, you just need to install the cord, available from your Ford dealer. I can call my parts guy if ya want...

Old 12-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
The plug should be on the drivers side of your truck around the tow hook. If not, you just need to install the cord, available from your Ford dealer. I can call my parts guy if ya want...

I have an '06 F250 and mine is on the passenger side in the bumper opening near the tow hook.

RR...Not all trucks have the cord installed. I believe all DO have the block heater, but you will need to install the harness with the male plug if yours doesn't already have it.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_BLUE_FX4
RR...Not all trucks have the cord installed. I believe all DO have the block heater, but you will need to install the harness with the male plug if yours doesn't already have it.
Yeah, I'm 99% sure all trucks do have the heater installed, the cord was just a $75 option.

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Yeah, I'm 99% sure all trucks do have the heater installed, the cord was just a $75 option.

Only on the 7.3L and the 03-04 6.0L The 05+ the cord is not standard and is an option only.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Her's why!

By plugging in the block heater, it keeps the oil warm and by that, it keeps the engine warmer than ambient temp. Diesels are very notorious to pulling the cylinder sleeves out, I.E. new engine block. By plugging in the block heater, it keeps metal shrinkage to a minimum. You may not feel a difference in performance but the longivity of your diesel depends on it. It's like running a K&N air filter on a diesel, if you are doing it, STOP! But if your not doing this, than start! If you have the ability to plug in, than do it, it will only help. I own a F-350 and have plugging in ever since I've had it if it drops below 40 degrees and it runs better that any other 99 or 00 on the street with no mods. If you choose to plug in, it will save on long term engine wear, battery, starter, and maybe even more! It's your call. This is the best advice I can give for Christmas and it's free!!!

P.S. When you plug in, do you see the gage react (Is it moving to show you it's warmer when you plug it in than when you don't)? The reason I ask, is because it may not be working!!! You'll have to do an amp load check to see!!! The reason I say is because when I plug in I get heat it about 2 minutes and you said, It takes the same amount of time to get heat!! Just something to ponder....Good Luck Bryan

Last edited by Okieboy; 12-19-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 PM
I believe the block heater option was available for my 2006 V-10. When I and the dealer went through the list of what I options the truck was to be built with - He asked if I wanted the block heater and I declined. The power cord through the grill is on the opposite side than would be the diesel version.

Would this be the same type of set-up as the diesel versions?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Block heater is a $25 option on the '08. What do you guys do when you drive your truck to work and park it in the lot at work all day? Do you run a cord to the parking lot?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Block heater is a $25 option on the '08. What do you guys do when you drive your truck to work and park it in the lot at work all day? Do you run a cord to the parking lot?
I'm screwed at work. Me and the other diesel guys (2005? D-Max, 2006 Dudge) just start our trucks up and let them idle for a few mins before we leave.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes the plug was on the passanger side tow hook on mine too. Basically everything you guys said is what my buddy told me so I wll start doing that each night because its always 20 degress or less here now. As far as the guage your asking me abour Bryan? I assume you mean temp guage, i will check that but there is a distinct possibility that its not working. Is there a fuse to check first before i bring it in for warranty work?

On a side not, i have to have the speed module replaced (speedometer keeps stopping) do you think I should remove the edge module before bringing it in for this repair? Thanks

Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by tlapan93
On a side not, i have to have the speed module replaced (speedometer keeps stopping) do you think I should remove the edge module before bringing it in for this repair? Thanks
Yes, unless your dealer is cool with mods.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by tlapan93
Yes the plug was on the passanger side tow hook on mine too. Basically everything you guys said is what my buddy told me so I wll start doing that each night because its always 20 degress or less here now. As far as the guage your asking me abour Bryan? I assume you mean temp guage, i will check that but there is a distinct possibility that its not working. Is there a fuse to check first before i bring it in for warranty work?

Yea, dealers have a hard time with mods. They'll argue every mod and threaten to void your warranty on some. That is a good idea. Bryan

Quick Reply: question on plugging in my truck