Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I REFUSE TO BE A PART OF THIS THREAD.

knotganaduet....woodnbprudant....

Old 12-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Just going by the Diesel Power article that compared the two. At idle the 6.4l was a little louder, but at 60 MPH, the diesel was quieter. And yes, I was referring to inside the cab.
That's cool. Though I personally haven't seen that between my neib's truck and mine...doesn't mean a situation like that doesn't exsists somewhere else.

So with that...C'mon RollingRock - join in the fun

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HIS BLESSINGS TO ALL YOU FOLKS

Old 12-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Here we go again, eh rollingrock? lol I saw you posted about not posting and I HAD to say HI! lol

Im not gonna be part either lol

Old 12-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I currently have a 07 150 with the 5.4 and a 08 250 with the 6.8, the 250 makes the 150 feel like a slug! Go with the 6.8 you wont regret it! Although I have always liked the Diesels, I will not address it here because A. I don't have one, and B. the title of the thread was 5.4 or 6.8. Happy New Years to All!!

Old 12-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by jimmyb04stx
I currently have a 07 150 with the 5.4 and a 08 250 with the 6.8, the 250 makes the 150 feel like a slug! Go with the 6.8 you wont regret it! Although I have always liked the Diesels, I will not address it here because A. I don't have one, and B. the title of the thread was 5.4 or 6.8. Happy New Years to All!!
Interesting you should post this as I have been studying the pros and cons of both. I have driven three new 2008 F-250 6.4L's, and frankly, I am unimpressed with the get-up-and-go compared to my 2007 6.0L. The truck, however, is fabulous. Two 2008's were okay - after they decided to get moving, and the third, which I drove a few days ago, wouldn't get out of it's own way. I seriously thought something was wrong with it. My old 2007 F-150 5.4L would have handed this 6.4L it's butt, and certainly my wifes 2005 V-10 Excursion would have, too.

So, for the miles I put on a week/month/year, I am considering going back to an F-150... again. It equals some vehicle savings, and some fuel savings as well as a better ride. Now, the V-10 F-250 will cost about $4,000 more than a comparably equipped 5.4L F-150. I could use the power to haul my 28 foot travel trailer, but it really is nothing I can't "suffer" with behind an F-150 a few times a year. The big stickler is the value of a V-10 when it's used. Dealers here still won't stock them, nor will they give you anything back when used. They just don't want them. My dealer, who is a good friend, agrees with saving of the $6,000 or so with the V-10, but just will not order one for me. I am sure he would if I pressed, but he keeps trying to push me to an F-150. He insists that he sees the V-10's coming across the aution block substantially less than what a comparably equipped diesel rig generates (less the cost of the diesel option) - so in other words, the V-10 takes a hit. I saw this a couple of years ago when I considered a V-10 then. The loss appears to be a few $1,000, not $500. Maybe to you longtime owners and low mileage drivers that's okay, but for me who burns up a rig every year, the hit is too negative.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Interesting you should post this as I have been studying the pros and cons of both. I have driven three new 2008 F-250 6.4L's, and frankly, I am unimpressed with the get-up-and-go compared to my 2007 6.0L. The truck, however, is fabulous. Two 2008's were okay - after they decided to get moving, and the third, which I drove a few days ago, wouldn't get out of it's own way. I seriously thought something was wrong with it. My old 2007 F-150 5.4L would have handed this 6.4L it's butt, and certainly my wifes 2005 V-10 Excursion would have, too.

So, for the miles I put on a week/month/year, I am considering going back to an F-150... again. It equals some vehicle savings, and some fuel savings as well as a better ride. Now, the V-10 F-250 will cost about $4,000 more than a comparably equipped 5.4L F-150. I could use the power to haul my 28 foot travel trailer, but it really is nothing I can't "suffer" with behind an F-150 a few times a year. The big stickler is the value of a V-10 when it's used. Dealers here still won't stock them, nor will they give you anything back when used. They just don't want them. My dealer, who is a good friend, agrees with saving of the $6,000 or so with the V-10, but just will not order one for me. I am sure he would if I pressed, but he keeps trying to push me to an F-150. He insists that he sees the V-10's coming across the aution block substantially less than what a comparably equipped diesel rig generates (less the cost of the diesel option) - so in other words, the V-10 takes a hit. I saw this a couple of years ago when I considered a V-10 then. The loss appears to be a few $1,000, not $500. Maybe to you longtime owners and low mileage drivers that's okay, but for me who burns up a rig every year, the hit is too negative.
So your saying that when i go to trade this thing in, in about 3 years i wont get as much because of the V10?

Old 12-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Smokewagun isn't necessarily correct. The resale of the new 3V V10 is actually pretty good. Even here in Michigan.

Just a side note: The 05 Excursion has the older 2V V10 - which, unfortunately on older versions of that engine had some mechnaical issues (yes, the ole spark plug shootin' to moon issue). That was resolved, however, a few bad apples tarnished the barrel.

The $4k extra from a new 'new' F150 V8 to the 'used 'F250 V10 not only gets you more power, but stronger frame, axles, suspension, and other HD components. It depends on what year - how many miles, etc. The term used is bit ambigous..If we are talking about a new (05 and later) 3V V8 F150 compared to a used (04 and earlier) 2V V10 F250 than I can understand his point - to a certain degree.

Also, SteveV - you will get better resale value with the 6.8L V10 than a 5.4L V8 in a same year comparable equipped Super Duty.

Last edited by Pagnew; 12-28-2007 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by SteveV
So your saying that when i go to trade this thing in, in about 3 years i wont get as much because of the V10?
Hey, anything can happen in three years. But for today, what I do know is that I don't know what the market is like in PA, but here in N. Illinois, the few dealers I have contacts with really want no part of a V-10 for used inventory - at least not at OUR price. They'll "take" one if they don't have a great investment in it. I guess it's still the gas price uncertainty. I have considered one each time I have traded over the last few years, and I get the same story, and they never have any new V-10's on the lot or on order. All I am saying is that I see dealers here ignoring the KBB and NADA values with V-10 trucks and making potential traders take a $1,000+ hit because the truck has a V-10. I still don't think that will make me shy away from a V-10 if I really decide I'd like one over a diesel. The outdated V-10 in our past Excursion was rather impressive, and that's not as nice as the new 3 valve V-10 today.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Smokewagun isn't necessarily correct. The resale of the new 3V V10 is actually pretty good. Even here in Michigan.

Just a side note: The 05 Excursion has the older 2V V10 - which, unfortunately on older versions of that engine had some mechnaical issues (yes, the ole spark plug shootin' to moon issue). That was resolved, however, a few bad apples tarnished the barrel.

The $4k extra from a new 'new' F150 V8 to the 'used 'F250 V10 not only gets you more power, but stronger frame, axles, suspension, and other HD components. It depends on what year - how many miles, etc. The term used is bit ambigous..If we are talking about a new (05 and later) 3V V8 F150 compared to a used (04 and earlier) 2V V10 F250 than I can understand his point - to a certain degree.

Also, SteveV - you will get better resale value with the 6.8L V10 than a 5.4L V8 in a same year comparable equipped Super Duty.
Pagnew, I agree with you on most of your post, but I think resale is dependent on local. I bought new trucks in N. Wisconsin for sixteen years for $4k less than the closest deal in N. Illinois. Why? I think that Wisconsin is "truck" country, not this urban country Caddy crap like most yuppies in N. Illinois. Here, it's more about buying a big diesel for show.

Oh, the $4k difference I was talking about was a new F-150 (5.4L) to a new F-250 (V-10). Price one out today on Build and Price and you'll see. I agree the Superduty is so much more truck, but as a daily driver/commuter and weekend warrior, I don't know if the Superduty really fits the bill. The concern I mentioned in my reply above is also that the V-10 has many bad apples in the barrel that get the 11-12mpg, where the F-150 has more in the 15-16 range (or better). With the way gas prices are now a days, a dealer that sells alot of trucks for "look at me in my BIG truck" kind of guys, the V-10 is a negative as fuel economy is a concern. Now, our 2005 V-10 could get 16mpg on the interstate, and I did on several occasions traveling to Pigeon Forge. Let's face it... that's not the norm. If you polled 100 people, 85 would probably tell you the V-10 is a gas hog - the sitgma is still out there... just like the Excursion being a fuel hog (while many reported close to 18-19 with the diesel. Marketing has screwed the V-10 value, and it still hasn't recovered. I wish it would as I loved my V-10, but I am afraid to take another bath.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Pagnew, I agree with you on most of your post, but I think resale is dependent on local. I bought new trucks in N. Wisconsin for sixteen years for $4k less than the closest deal in N. Illinois. Why? I think that Wisconsin is "truck" country, not this urban country Caddy crap like most yuppies in N. Illinois. Here, it's more about buying a big diesel for show.

Oh, the $4k difference I was talking about was a new F-150 (5.4L) to a new F-250 (V-10). Price one out today on Build and Price and you'll see. I agree the Superduty is so much more truck, but as a daily driver/commuter and weekend warrior, I don't know if the Superduty really fits the bill. The concern I mentioned in my reply above is also that the V-10 has many bad apples in the barrel that get the 11-12mpg, where the F-150 has more in the 15-16 range (or better). With the way gas prices are now a days, a dealer that sells alot of trucks for "look at me in my BIG truck" kind of guys, the V-10 is a negative as fuel economy is a concern. Now, our 2005 V-10 could get 16mpg on the interstate, and I did on several occasions traveling to Pigeon Forge. Let's face it... that's not the norm. If you polled 100 people, 85 would probably tell you the V-10 is a gas hog - the sitgma is still out there... just like the Excursion being a fuel hog (while many reported close to 18-19 with the diesel. Marketing has screwed the V-10 value, and it still hasn't recovered. I wish it would as I loved my V-10, but I am afraid to take another bath.
Well - we agree to disagree and we both have some points.

Anyway...HAPPY NEW YEAR

Nobody should buy a Super Duty with MPG being the biggest concern, Everyone knows they suck gas in any form...Diesel, 5.4L, or 6.8L. They represent a different class of truck over the 1/2 tons.

West Michigan and North Michigan can definately fill the bill for 'truck' country credentials too.

Happy New Year...

Last edited by Pagnew; 12-29-2007 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:18 PM
diesel will pay for themselves when it comes time to trade them in... as well as in oil changes....

I would go Diesel all the way 100 tmes over again...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 PM
My f-250 4x4 with the 5.4 does everything I need it to and more. It is extremely fast for a truck this size. I can smoke both back tires just by hitting the acc. about 3/4. I've got 3.73 gears as well. It also tows anything I hook to it and tows it well(tractors, bobcats, hay, you name it). I also get 13 mpg and thats with a heavy foot. It's also got a 3 inch lift.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Nobody should buy a Super Duty with MPG being the biggest concern, Everyone knows they suck gas in any form...Diesel, 5.8L, or 6.8L. They represent a different class of truck over the 1/2 tons.
Well said! Happy Ney Year, too!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Well said! Happy Ney Year, too!
Thanks Smokewagun

Keep on truckin'

Old 12-30-2007, 09:26 PM
the v-10 is a great motor and the gas mileage is not worse than the 5.4 f-150 i had. i have been thinking about buying something else because i don't tow anything anymore, but the market here is not great for v-10s.

Quick Reply: 5.4 or 6.8 ?