F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4wd look on a 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd look on a 2wd

i am looking at a new 08 sd. i love the look of a 4wd, but have no need for it. what will it take to get a 2wd to look like a 4wd? i am pretty sure just blocks and new u bolts in the rear, but i am lost for the front. i cant find a leveling kit for a 2wd. would i have to get a full lift kit? if so, might as well go 4wd in the first place due to cost. any opinions will be great.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
When I get my F250, I am going to get 4x4. I already have enough 4x2 trucks... but it ain't gonna be for about 2 years if that.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:21 AM
twin i-beam is pretty tricky you cant really level it witouth throwing the camber waaaay off. i think you will need to buy a full suspension lift..just go for a 4x4. you say you dont need it now but ull be glad you have it when u cant move in 2wd. also much easier to re-sell later on.

Last edited by Adam06FX4; 12-29-2007 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Adam06FX4
twin i-beam is pretty tricky you cant really level it witouth throwing the camber waaaay off. i think you will need to buy a full suspension lift..just go for a 4x4. you say you dont need it now but ull be glad you have it when u cant move in 2wd. also much easier to re-sell later on.
Super Duty trucks don't have twin I-beam suspension...they have a solid front axle. The biggest difference between the front suspension in the 2wd and the 4wd is the coil springs and shocks. The 4wd has longer ones than the 2wd, but otherwise, everything is pretty much the same.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Super Duty trucks don't have twin I-beam suspension...they have a solid front axle.

Sigh, he's talking about a 4x2 suspension not a 4x4

Originally Posted by freekyFX4
The biggest difference between the front suspension in the 2wd and the 4wd is the coil springs and shocks.

And where did you come to this determination? There is most definetly more of a difference between a 4x4 and 4x2 suspension. The SD line has always used a monobeam axle on the 4x4 models and a TTB suspension on the 4x2 models (except the F450 and F550 which does use a monobeam, but that is not what the OP was buying). The only other truck besides the F450/550 that used a monobeam on a 2wd was the Jeep Cherokee. 2wd trucks typically use a TTB or SLA style suspension, at least for the last 20-25 years anyways.

BTW all the specs on the suspension is readily available on the Ford SD Specs page.

The poster talking about cambur is 100% correct in that you are better going with a lift if you can. The Rangers used a very similar setup from 83-97, as well as the 80-96 F150s. The cambur/caster battle can be a constant battle if you slap something together. A 3" kit should put you about the same level as a stock 4x4 with the plow package. While cheaper to begin with the resale will be lower, so since you want the look of the 4x4 anyways you might be ahead to buy one. It'll pay off when trying to sell or trade.

Old 12-31-2007, 09:01 AM
Wow...learn something new every day. I had no idea that the 2wd and 4wd trucks were so different. Sounds like it would be tough to make a 2wd look like a 4wd then. Good luck!

Originally Posted by powerstroke73
Sigh, he's talking about a 4x2 suspension not a 4x4

And where did you come to this determination? There is most definetly more of a difference between a 4x4 and 4x2 suspension. The SD line has always used a monobeam axle on the 4x4 models and a TTB suspension on the 4x2 models (except the F450 and F550 which does use a monobeam, but that is not what the OP was buying). The only other truck besides the F450/550 that used a monobeam on a 2wd was the Jeep Cherokee. 2wd trucks typically use a TTB or SLA style suspension, at least for the last 20-25 years anyways.

BTW all the specs on the suspension is readily available on the Ford SD Specs page.

The poster talking about cambur is 100% correct in that you are better going with a lift if you can. The Rangers used a very similar setup from 83-97, as well as the 80-96 F150s. The cambur/caster battle can be a constant battle if you slap something together. A 3" kit should put you about the same level as a stock 4x4 with the plow package. While cheaper to begin with the resale will be lower, so since you want the look of the 4x4 anyways you might be ahead to buy one. It'll pay off when trying to sell or trade.

Quick Reply: 4wd look on a 2wd