F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

2008 6.4L dual tail pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pnewman
Painting or chroming your tips or even adding some sort of chrome tip over the stock ones isnt an issue, just leave them there rather than cut them off. Yes they're functional and if the dealer you take your truck to is a dink they could give you the gears. When I talk to ford hotline about some of the problems we have with the new 6.4, they ask us specifically if there are any mods to the truck after all the grief the 6.0 is giving them.
Are there many people having problems with the 2008's? I frequent quite a few message boards, and I haven't seen many people having any common problems at all. If you are a Ford mechanic, maybe you can tell us what common issues the 2008's ARE having.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes Im a ford mechanic, mostly engine stuff which evolved into diesel's due to demand (and failure). I can tell you anything you need to know about a 6.0, the 6.4 is too new to know if they suck or not. I like them and have only had a few problems with them so far. Ive had MAP sensors fail, oil leaks from the rocker boxes due to assembly errors which required cab removal to replace a seal worth $1.40 - no kidding. And as most recently as yesterday and today (finished the project) was an 08 F450 for head gaskets and EGR coolers but it was a clear case of abuse with a power adder and truck pulls at the local fair. I hope the 6.4 doesnt go the same path the 6.0 went. The 6.4 is an evolution of the 6.0, many parts will bolt on between the two, its just that the management systems are so different that the parts wont actually work, they just bolt on. I saw improvements with the 6.4 torn down and I like what I saw. I still feel head studs is the best way to go but they insist on bolts. Only time will tell but I can say for sure you should have the dealer service any 6.4 only because we know what we're doing. For example, the fuel system has a special bleed tool and proceedure that must be followed after a fuel filter replacement or high pressure pump and injector damage will result. Does the zit faced kid at the Walmart service department know this proceedure? Probably not, so follow the schedules and take it to ford.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Pnewman... no offense to you or your dealer. But there are some zit faced kids working at local Ford Service Centers here in the 'States.

That's why I fix everything myself. If I don't know how, well damn it, I better learn. If the engine in my truck can be built by hand, well then, I can fix it and I'll learn how to fix it.

But there are lots of good, knowlegable mechanics that work at some dealers.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Pnewman... no offense to you or your dealer. But there are some zit faced kids working at local Ford Service Centers here in the 'States.

That's why I fix everything myself. If I don't know how, well damn it, I better learn. If the engine in my truck can be built by hand, well then, I can fix it and I'll learn how to fix it.

But there are lots of good, knowlegable mechanics that work at some dealers.

All the power to ya, if you can fix it yourself in the future then you'll save a bundle. As for the zit faced kids, I think you got my point but its your call where your truck gets serviced. Ive been fixing 6.0's since they came out and the 6.4 threw me for a curve, very complicated but im on top of it now. I figure ill be getting trained soon on the new diesel V6 for the 09 F150's.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:31 PM
I figure ill be getting trained soon on the new diesel V6 for the 09 F150's.
Was that a joke, or a little "inside" information?

Everyone I've spoken to at the Ford dealerships say that Ford isn't planning on it for '09

Old 01-15-2008, 12:51 PM
...Spoke too soon! I just read the article on the home page.

https://www.f150online.com/2009f150/index.cfm

Old 01-15-2008, 01:11 PM
According to the article the diesel for the F150 starts in 2010

Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
All the power to ya, if you can fix it yourself in the future then you'll save a bundle. As for the zit faced kids, I think you got my point but its your call where your truck gets serviced. Ive been fixing 6.0's since they came out and the 6.4 threw me for a curve, very complicated but im on top of it now. I figure ill be getting trained soon on the new diesel V6 for the 09 F150's.
Just a quick question for you...what are some of the "common" issues that you have been seeing with the 6.4L engines...or the 2008 Super Duty's in general?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Hmmmmm. I could just see Ford pulling a sneeky one and adding the diesel at the last second to "one up" the competition. I just don't think it could be kept a secret this close to launch.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Hmmmmm. I could just see Ford pulling a sneeky one and adding the diesel at the last second to "one up" the competition. I just don't think it could be kept a secret this close to launch.
On the other hand, it could be 2011.

I remember seeing the redesigned Super Duty (2008 model) in spy photos in August 2005 and it was being touted as the 2007 model...who knows with Ford...it can always go one way or the other I guess when release dates are posted to the public

Last edited by Pagnew; 01-16-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree Pagnew, but I highly doubt the Oval wants to lag behind the others getting a diesel to the table in a 1/2 ton. If they do, it won't be by much - I'll bet months at best. Sometimes it's nice to lag behind, like the 2009 F-150 over that "wannbe a real truck" thing... the Goatyota Wundra. Seems to me the first to the show isn't always the winner.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I agree Pagnew, but I highly doubt the Oval wants to lag behind the others getting a diesel to the table in a 1/2 ton. If they do, it won't be by much - I'll bet months at best. Sometimes it's nice to lag behind, like the 2009 F-150 over that "wannbe a real truck" thing... the Goatyota Wundra. Seems to me the first to the show isn't always the winner.
Yup, I hear ya!!!

Per your last sentence -Sometimes it's better to see what the other folks do first and then introduce something better (very apparent in the ATV market). We'll see!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

What's with those goofy tail pipes on the new SDs anyway? I suppose they serve some kind of purpose? I think they look horrible.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
the tips are functional. when your engine goes through a re-gen cycle those exhaust gasses get VERY hot. those vents suck in outside air to help cool the exhaust comming out the tip.

Quick Reply: 2008 6.4L dual tail pipe?