F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 FX4 towing issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To help here is the before and after on the same thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Looks good to me JP. I'll measure my wheelwell heights in March when I hook back up. Curious as to my front/rear differences now...
I see you also added a middle bolt to the hitch rails. I never understood why the installers of these would not put the center bolts in. They claimed they weren't needed. I found out otherwise one day when my slider decided to malfuntion and I had to really gas it to get it to slide. When it quit sliding, it pulled the front cross bar up about 6" in the middle while all of the outside bolts held. Got a whole new hitch and rails out of the deal and put in the middle bolts after that. Never a problem since.
Sorry for the reply time, had to work a few days!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 PM
yes I know, old thread.

Readers digest version.

Axle spring flip. new photo, after

Much happier now and saved 550 bucks doing it myself.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:21 PM
RR, personaly I wouldn't change a thing. That in my opinion should be where your helper springs ( overloads) should be.

On my one ton and equipment trailer I sit more heavily than that. If your comfortable with the feel of the truck, and the steering isn't a loose feel than you should be ok.

By the way if you have an adjustable pin plate. aprox how far in front of the rear axle is the pin plate. It should be close to 2 ".

the more forward the pin the more weight on the front axle, the further back the less weight! I know it sounds strange but its true.

My system is a little different, My king pin (not ball) is fixed in the box to a plate and the fifth wheel plate is on the trailer. but the pin is 2" infront of the rear axle.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by stevlin
RR, personaly I wouldn't change a thing. That in my opinion should be where your helper springs ( overloads) should be.

On my one ton and equipment trailer I sit more heavily than that. If your comfortable with the feel of the truck, and the steering isn't a loose feel than you should be ok.

By the way if you have an adjustable pin plate. aprox how far in front of the rear axle is the pin plate. It should be close to 2 ".

the more forward the pin the more weight on the front axle, the further back the less weight! I know it sounds strange but its true.

My system is a little different, My king pin (not ball) is fixed in the box to a plate and the fifth wheel plate is on the trailer. but the pin is 2" infront of the rear axle.
Thanks for the info, I forgot to post my new after photo. We flipped the springs to the top of the axle last weekend. this is MUCH better

Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 PM
RR how does it feel on the road?

Any side to side movement similar to wandering ?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:32 PM
RR how does it feel on the road?

Any side to side movement similar to wandering ?
Not really, I did tow it about 40-50 miles after we did the flip so I could let it all settle...

I felt it was more balanced if that makes sense. I tried to drive around 60 to allow some 18wheelers pass me and I didn't feel any difference from before. Then i kicked it up to 70, no problem, I passed a few of the trucks that passed me, then I went up to 75 and it felt fine.

If you look at some of the before's and see how the front 5er frame hasn't really changed positions at all, relative to the rear bumper of the truck. Only the rear came up.

Why do you ask? Due to the air flow under the rig now?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:36 PM
It looks good!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
It looks good!
Thanks bro, I guess I did post the afters after all...sorry it was a long day.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM
No Just the fact that if your balance is off you'll feel it in the steering.

You answered all, if your towing at that speed and don't feel any wander you fine.

There is nothing more uncomfortabe than a trailer that rules the truck..

Believe me when I say that, when it make you have to pull over and change your drawers, if ya know what I mean.

I hauled tomatoes with a semi and two trailers (a trains). The back trailer wasn't balanced well and moved the semi all over the road, I couldn't park it fast enough.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
No Just the fact that if your balance is off you'll feel it in the steering.

You answered all, if your towing at that speed and don't feel any wander you fine.

There is nothing more uncomfortabe than a trailer that rules the truck..

Believe me when I say that, when it make you have to pull over and change your drawers, if ya know what I mean.

I hauled tomatoes with a semi and two trailers (a trains). The back trailer wasn't balanced well and moved the semi all over the road, I couldn't park it fast enough.
LOL, I appreciate your thoughts. The rig is pretty light, dry 8900 lbs with a 1200 lb dry pin weight. With our gear in it, I haven't weighted it yet but I cannot imagine that I have more than 1K in there and I suspect I have added 400lbs of pin weight with front storage usage.

When we camp, we get a good giggle out of what people are towing with their TV's. you see some really, really strange things. I am sure you do too.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
OH YA.

There is some strange people around.

One of the funniest i recall was a Dodge mini van towing a small camper I'm guessing maybe 12 to 15 foot.

NO not a pop up. He had his hands full. The rear bumber was dmn near on the ground.

Too bad i wasn't following, sure would have enjoyed seeing the sparks .

Quick Reply: F250 FX4 towing issue