F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

'06 PSD Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 PSD Won't Start

My 2006 F250 abruptly decided this afternoon that it no longer wanted to start, for no apparent reason. I had been out making a few stops around town and decided to stop by my office. The truck was running fine all morning and had given no indication that anything was wrong. I shut it off when I got to work and when I tried to start it back up again about 20 minutes later, no go. The engine is cranking strong so it doesn't seem to be the batteries, but it acts like it is not getting fuel. It cranks and cranks, but the engine doesn't so much as sputter or try to fire up.

I ended up having to leave it at work and catch a ride home with a friend. Our on site mechanic is going to look at it first thing Monday morning, but I am without a truck until then.

It acts like it isn't getting any fuel. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by 73mountaineer; 01-05-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Did you find out what is wrong with your truck

I have a 2004 F250, with the same issue with my truck right now.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:07 PM
For the 2006:
My money would be on the quick connect fitting on the back of the high pressure oil pump. Seen it lots of times. Fitting gets loose and then bleeds off ICP pressure so you won't have enough to start. (500 psi) Sometimes if it cools down the leak won't be as bad and you can restart the truck, and once it starts the pump can put out enough to compensate for te leak. You could also start it on ether and it will probably continue to run. It will eventually get worse though and will quit when driving. There is a new fitting and bracket available from your dealer to fix it. STC fitting they call it.
This is not common on 2004s though as they have a different style HPOP.
Note: I've also seen the tops of injecters break and leak ICP there, but that was mostly on early 2005s. Haven't seen it in a long time.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
My first guess would be gelled fuel, but seeing as how its 70* here in the midwest, that's not your problem.
I really have no idea what it could be, but you might get better results on a diesel specific site...

Old 01-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I know this isn't specifically a technical forum, but I figured you folks would have at least one or two ideas.

I ended up having to get it towed to a dealership this morning, and of course they couldn't get to it today so it is still sitting there with no idea yet what the problem might be. They are supposed to get in in the shop first thing in the morning so we'll see.

Thanks again,
Steve

Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Let us know what the problem was,as it is nice to hear about the problem and then find what the cure was.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a high pressure oil pump related issue to me. Good luck with it!

Trending Topics

Old 01-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Unhappy Called dealership

73mountaineer,At least it sounds like they can look at your truck. I called several dealership here in south La. to see when they could look at the truck if I towed it in today the soonest they could look at it would be 4 weeks, just to look to see what the problem is not fix it. And one other told me 5 weeks and if a client they had purchased a truck came in they would go in front of me. Now I'm on the hunt for a good diesel mech.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by taterthedog
For the 2006:
My money would be on the quick connect fitting on the back of the high pressure oil pump. Seen it lots of times. Fitting gets loose and then bleeds off ICP pressure so you won't have enough to start. (500 psi) Sometimes if it cools down the leak won't be as bad and you can restart the truck, and once it starts the pump can put out enough to compensate for te leak. You could also start it on ether and it will probably continue to run. It will eventually get worse though and will quit when driving. There is a new fitting and bracket available from your dealer to fix it. STC fitting they call it.
This is not common on 2004s though as they have a different style HPOP.
Note: I've also seen the tops of injecters break and leak ICP there, but that was mostly on early 2005s. Haven't seen it in a long time.
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!! The STC fitting was the culprit, although it apparently did more than get loose. The way they made it sound it blew off and cracked an aluminum cover back there somewhere The dealership ended up with the truck until last Friday, but at least it was still under warranty. Had it happened in another 25,000 miles, it would have been a bit more painful.

Thanks for your help, guys

Steve

Old 01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by 73mountaineer
Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner!! The STC fitting was the culprit, although it apparently did more than get loose. The way they made it sound it blew off and cracked an aluminum cover back there somewhere The dealership ended up with the truck until last Friday, but at least it was still under warranty. Had it happened in another 25,000 miles, it would have been a bit more painful.

Thanks for your help, guys

Steve
Yup, I've seen them break the rear engine cover sometimes too. Usually not that bad though. Glad you got it fixed.

Quick Reply: '06 PSD Won't Start