F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4x4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Question

Well it snowed today and its slippery out there. My dad and me were going to our shop to drop off the Bobcat in his 2003 6.0 PSD. He stuck his truck in neutral and clicked it in 4hi. It kicked in and was fine but when he stopped and started again he noticed it kicked out. So he stuck it in neutral again and put it in 4hi once again. It happened neumerous(sp?) times throughout the ride. Can anyone tell me what the problem is here?

Old 01-13-2008, 03:17 PM
you do not have to have it in neutral to put it in 4wdHI only have to be stopped and in neutral for 4wdLO. as far as it kicking in and out maybe its a vaccum leak of somesort that makes the hubs unlock, i have my hubs on "auto" never had the problem u described accept when i was learnin how to use 4LO hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by powerdome
you do not have to have it in neutral to put it in 4wdHI only have to be stopped and in neutral for 4wdLO. as far as it kicking in and out maybe its a vaccum leak of somesort that makes the hubs unlock, i have my hubs on "auto" never had the problem u described accept when i was learnin how to use 4LO hope this helps.
Hey thanks, Me and pa will check it out tonight.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:23 PM
A vacuum leak isn't going to be your problem, though it might be worth checking just to make sure you don't have one. The vacuum only locks in the auto hubs and if has a leak it just doesn't engage the hubs. It won't cause the light to turn off. This is an electrical issue. I would check connections at the shift motor on the tcase. It very well could be a case of the seal at the plug being bad and snow getting in there causing it to short out.

If a vacuum leak actually did cause the light to go out (disengage the system) then mine would never work. I ditched the crappy stock auto hubs and plugged the vacuum ports. D50 or D60 manual hubs are a direct bolt in. Thats actually why the auto hubs have a locked position, so if the vacuum fails you can lock them in and still have 4x4.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Question