F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

F250 selfs destructs

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F250 selfs destructs

My wife and I were awakened around 3:00 AM , Sunday , 1-28 to a muffled pop from outside our home. Initially I thought nothing of it because of the late nite traffic in or area. About 5 - 10 minutes later, a second. This time it wasn't muffled and literallly shook our home. Wondering WTF ? I went to investigate. I opened our front door and found my F250 Lariat 4 X 4 engulfed in flames. I don't know what the first pop was but the second was the front , right tire exploding.
I raced back in and called 911. Out of sight of the truck for maybe 2 minutes , I ran back out after dressing and grabbing a fire ext. and found the fire had spread to the cab and it was now engulfed in flames as well.
The windows are blowing out, I hear the battery on the passengers side pop and seconds later the right side tire explodes. I hear what I would assume were fuel or oil lines bursting and the fire intensifies. At this poit any effort to fight the blaze would have been futile and foolish.
I stood and watched the truck that I enjoyed more than any other I'd ever owned literally melt down right before my eyes.
We live in a rural area of central Arkansas and have a very dedicated and qualified volunteer fire department so the response time compared to a city department is a little slower.
The volunteers arrived and after about 10 minuted , the first truck arrives.
The firefighters pull lines and the fire is quickly put out.
The truck is literally melted from the front bumper to the back of the cab.
All of the aluminum engine parts are silver puddles on the ground. Bare copper wires sag and run inevery direction. Niether battery is to be accounted for. All of the cab glass is gone. The dash is melted to the frame and I can make out remnants of the instruments draped across the sterring column. A charcoaled Pioneer stereo still sit where it was mounted only now there is no dash , AC controls, nothing.
The seats are naked , black metal frames and nothing I had is now identifiable.
The truck I babied , kept clean and was proud to drive is now a burnt smoking , stinking pile of scrap.
The bed , the rear axle and wheels are all that didn't succumb to the intense heat and fire.
I'd never had any electrical issues with my truck . Never had a reson to worry. Until I got on the net researched the Ford truck engine fires. WTF ?
I'd never heard of there being a potential for fires . Never got any recall notice. TSB. Nothing.
And after spending the day on the net, I'd come to the conclusion I wsn't the only one. Many , many others have lost thier vehicles because of Ford motors lack of notifying Ford owners.
I read horror story after horror story of FMC neglect to make repairs for something they were obviously aware of but chose not to make a scene about.
I will ride a fu#$@g mule before I ever buy another Ford.
Maybe , just maybe if Ford Motors had chose to let owners aware of this problem, myself and others alike wouldn't be in this position.

Thank you for allowing me to poet my story and hopefully other will too.

Sincerely, D. S. Billingsley Pine Bluff, AR

Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by hotf250diesel
My wife and I were awakened around 3:00 AM , Sunday , 1-28 to a muffled pop from outside our home. Initially I thought nothing of it because of the late nite traffic in or area. About 5 - 10 minutes later, a second. This time it wasn't muffled and literallly shook our home. Wondering WTF ? I went to investigate. I opened our front door and found my F250 Lariat 4 X 4 engulfed in flames. I don't know what the first pop was but the second was the front , right tire exploding.
I raced back in and called 911. Out of sight of the truck for maybe 2 minutes , I ran back out after dressing and grabbing a fire ext. and found the fire had spread to the cab and it was now engulfed in flames as well.
The windows are blowing out, I hear the battery on the passengers side pop and seconds later the right side tire explodes. I hear what I would assume were fuel or oil lines bursting and the fire intensifies. At this poit any effort to fight the blaze would have been futile and foolish.
I stood and watched the truck that I enjoyed more than any other I'd ever owned literally melt down right before my eyes.
We live in a rural area of central Arkansas and have a very dedicated and qualified volunteer fire department so the response time compared to a city department is a little slower.
All of the aluminum engine parts are silver puddles on the ground. Bare copper wires sag and run inevery direction. Niether battery is to be accounted for. All of the cab glass is gone. The dash is melted to the frame and I can make out remnants of the instruments draped across the sterring column. A charcoaled Pioneer stereo still sit where it was mounted only now there is no dash , AC controls, nothing.
The truck I babied , kept clean and was proud to drive is now a burnt smoking , stinking pile of scrap.
The bed , the rear axle and wheels are all that didn't succumb to the intense heat and fire.
I'd never had any electrical issues with my truck . Never had a reson to worry. Until I got on the net researched the Ford truck engine fires. WTF ?
I'd never heard of there being a potential for fires . Never got any recall notice. TSB. Nothing.
And after spending the day on the net, I'd come to the conclusion I wsn't the only one. Many , many others have lost thier vehicles because of Ford motors lack of notifying Ford owners.
I read horror story after horror story of FMC neglect to make repairs for something they were obviously aware of but chose not to make a scene about.
Maybe , just maybe if Ford Motors had chose to let owners aware of this problem, myself and others alike wouldn't be in this position.

What year was your F250? 2001 by chance?

I am asking b.c you state that Ford didn't tell you of a recall or owners notice. Not to discredit your post, it sucks and I feel for you for sure, however, there is a known problem that Ford has addressed. One of our best friends had an F250 burn to the ground same as yours.....he didn't take it in after receiving several notices from Ford.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear that.

Ford makes a fine truck but, I do recall some notices being sent to owners about potential fires breaking out in trucks and some cars regarding cruise control switches some years back.

Anyway - sorry for your loss. Glad no one got hurt...

Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Sucks to be you. How many Ford sites did you copy and paste this too? where are the pics to back up your story?

I am prepared to eat it, but come on, this is your first post and it screams troll.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Suspended
Gotta love the American mentality. It's Ford's fault that either you, or the previous owner ignored the notices...right?

Please, take some responsibility for your own actions (or lack there of) and be a man.

BTW, in America we use paragraphs to separate our thoughts.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM
I think I smell a troll...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Come on guys give the poor guy a break. If he bought it used how is he supposed to know if the warrenty work was done or not.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 PM

Last edited by Adam06FX4; 01-28-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Suspended
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by stevlin
Come on guys give the poor guy a break. If he bought it used how is he supposed to know if the warrenty work was done or not.
If I bought a used vehicle *I* would take the time to make sure all recalls were up to date for the safety of myself and my family (and other possible occupants), as well as other warranty or maintenance work on all safety related items (brakes, tires, brake lines, etc).

It's time for people to take some responsibility and stop waiting for everyone to coddle them. How can it be Ford's fault to continually trace and track down each and every potential new owner after they already notified the proper owner numerous times? That's ridiculous.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM

Wow, well with this kind of writing ability I'm sure you could write books, and buy yourself a new one.

Literally had me on the edge of my seat!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
If I bought a used vehicle *I* would take the time to make sure all recalls were up to date for the safety of myself and my family (and other possible occupants), as well as other warranty or maintenance work on all safety related items (brakes, tires, brake lines, etc).

It's time for people to take some responsibility and stop waiting for everyone to coddle them. How can it be Ford's fault to continually trace and track down each and every potential new owner after they already notified the proper owner numerous times? That's ridiculous.
Exactly.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Graphics Contributor
maybe its krickbaumt from youtube, who never acknowledges a toyota problem and just replies to anything you have to say with "fords start on fire".

Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I bought a "program" truck....before I even test drove the truck I said, can you please pull an Oasis report? I spent 20 min looking it over.

Bought the truck and saved 18K off sticker.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I thought the half tons were the only trucks with recalls on the cruise control? I fixed it on my 02 F-150, but now am worried about the 02 PSD. Anyone know for sure?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
I thought the half tons were the only trucks with recalls on the cruise control? I fixed it on my 02 F-150, but now am worried about the 02 PSD. Anyone know for sure?

Cool sig photo btw

Quick Reply: F250 selfs destructs