F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Exhaust and intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Exhaust and intake?

Hey guys... Im new to the site, any how i just bought my self a 2003 f 250 with the 6.0 diesel in it with 51,000 miles on it extended cab nice truck. Im lookin at the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust system and the bullydog/aem cold air intake for the truck. Whats your guys input here? I heard the MBRP and was very impressed with the sound.Is 4" to big? I dont plan on doin any heavy mod's intill the warranty runs out. Just exhaust intake and prob a boost guage on the pillar.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ChuckDogg
Hey guys... Im new to the site, any how i just bought my self a 2003 f 250 with the 6.0 diesel in it with 51,000 miles on it extended cab nice truck. Im lookin at the MBRP 4" turbo back exhaust system and the bullydog/aem cold air intake for the truck. Whats your guys input here? I heard the MBRP and was very impressed with the sound.Is 4" to big? I dont plan on doin any heavy mod's intill the warranty runs out. Just exhaust intake and prob a boost guage on the pillar.
Welcome to the site. MBRP is a nice exhaust kit...good sound. 4" isnt big at all when talking diesel exhaust. I recommend S&B filters that i've got on my website... make a very nice product and specialize in diesels. If you're doing a boost gauge on the pillar, definitely do an EGT gauge to keep an eye on the exhaust temps. I'm looking at getting a 97 7.3 and first mod will be EGT.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 PM
I never new what EGT stood for..I guess do both that and boost? Brand of guages and where to get the pilliar?

Old 01-29-2008, 10:36 PM
Suspended
I never new what EGT stood for..I guess do both that and boost? Brand of guages and where to get the pilliar?
I'd check out summit for those... I don't have anything setup with any gauge company yet. Also, you want to get the temp readings before the turbo.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM

MBRP is good exhaust, save your money rather than buying the intake if you are hoping for any real HP gains, the stock one flows as good (do some research on this and you will get the same vibe), I am still thinking on an intake myself but mainly cause I want to hear that turbo more
As for guages, have you looked at the Quadzilla Commander, I have one and like it, its an electronic display and gives you egt, boost, water, and trans temps as standard, or you can also get athe optional fuel pressure sensor for it as well.
Good luck.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Rules about modding diesels:
#1. Gauges.
#2. See rule #1.

For gauges, I'd recommend going with any of the packages from the Diesel Manor. Best prices around for the complete kits, and the Diprocol and Issopro gauges match the factory gauges perfectly. In fact, they have Issopro gauge kits on sale right now. C'mon tax refund...
Your exhaust? 4" is the average that everyone jumps to. Stock is 3.5" I'm running a 4" down pipe with a 5" exhaust on my 7.3. I wanted an MBRP but I'm a broke college kid, so I settled for an off brand, but damn it is nice. You might want to hit up Farm Boys Diesel for the exhaust. They seem to have the best prices and service on the net.
Intake? AEM Stage II. Also available from Farm Boys. Happy modding.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM
Stock exhaust is 3", not 3.5". For a 6.0L I would not suggest a turbo back exhaust if you value your drivetrain warranty, or whats left of it anyways. You'll want a cat back system for warranty reasons, but to be honest forget about whats left of your warranty. The powertrain warranty is only good for 100k or 5yrs from the inservice date. Since you have an 03 your warranty is either up now if its an early 2003 or only has a few months left.

If you live anywhere that puts salt on the roads in the winter DO NOT buy an aluminized exhaust system. The money you drop on a SS system will be worth it in the long run. The aluminized systems can and will rust apart like my old 4" did. Mine lasted a little over 3 years before it rusted through to where I HAD to remove it (dragging on the ground). I cheaped out and wish I hadn't. This time around I went with a 5" aluminized only because I couldn't wait for a SS system. I prepped and painted the system with rust prohibiting paint so hopefully it'll last.

I would also recommend either the Isspro or DiPricol Optix gauges over one of the digital units. None have ever really impressed me with their reliability. Their problem is if one thing goes back you must replace the whole unit. Additionally Quadzilla has never really been any kind of player in the PSD market, they just exist is all.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 PM
I run a bully dog 4" dual from turbo back, with 5" chrome tips, looks real good on duallys, seen them on single wheel (I) didn't care for them as well, but thats my opinion.

Have you looked at the K&N air systems, high performance air intakes, I like mine, Did notice a slight increase in HP.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Stock exhaust is 3", not 3.5".
FYI, the 6.0L stock downpipe is 3", the rest is 3.5"

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by stevlin
Have you looked at the K&N air systems, high performance air intakes, I like mine, Did notice a slight increase in HP.
K&N is a great way to kill your turbo.

Oh yeah Chuck, you will probably want an EGT, Tranny temp, and Boost gauge.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
K&N is a great way to kill your turbo.

Oh yeah Chuck, you will probably want an EGT, Tranny temp, and Boost gauge.

Zaairman why do you say that, I looked at what was available, and that seemed to be a good choice.

Ive have good luck with them, I have two filters and change the either when dirty or every month.

Why ?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:47 PM
K&N filters & most any oiled filter don't filter as good as other dry types, anything that gets through the filter ends up in your turbo.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Its not really the oil filter type that is the problem its the packed gauze filter type that is the problem. The gauze packing creates voids that particles can bypass. Hold the filter up to the light and you'll see these holes. K&N is ok for non turbo applications where you don't have high volumes or air velocities involved like you do on a turbo engine. The filter I run on my truck is a Green filter which is also an oiled filter. The difference is that Green uses a cloth media instead of gauze. It can still have the benefits of a reuseable filter and high flows but still filter.

The dirt passing through the filter doesn't really stop at the turbo. It does destroy the turbo impeller fins, but it then travels onto the cylinders eating away at the walls. This is whats called a "dusted" engine. The engine would have to be torn down and the block machined to fix this.

The K&N isn't any better than the stock box really. There are ALOT of companies out there making intakes, but pretty much every diesel forum has given K&N 2 thumbs down. Curious where you found the good reviews (hopefully not from their website).

Old 01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
From everything I've heard regarding turbo diesels:

K&N = not the choice one should make in dusty, dirty off road use. No problem on highway or street use only.

From my experience with gas engines(5.0 Mustang and still rockin' strong at 180K miles including silty dry lake bed action) and what I hear for ANY non-turbo gasser or non-turbo diesel:

K&N = no prob - works great - good choice.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Guess I should add that I'm an idiot... The intake you want is an AFE Stage II.

Quick Reply: Exhaust and intake?