F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Best mod for increasing MPG??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best mod for increasing MPG??

I just recently bought a 2008 f250 for one of my landscaping crews. It is a 4x2 supercab with the 5.4L engine and 4.10 gears. Every single day it is used to haul a 14' dual axle landscape trailer, with all of the related equipment including a commercial riding lawnmower and 4-6 guys. So far it has about a thousand miles on it and is averaging 10.8 with mixed highway and street driving. I hope it will increase slightly when it gets some more miles on it, but would still like to squeeze every ounce of fuel economy I can out of it. What is the SINGLE best mod I can do to increase the MPG? remember, this is a work truck, please dont suggest thousands of dollars in fancy mods, thanks.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by LERM
I just recently bought a 2008 f250 for one of my landscaping crews. It is a 4x2 supercab with the 5.4L engine and 4.10 gears. Every single day it is used to haul a 14' dual axle landscape trailer, with all of the related equipment including a commercial riding lawnmower and 4-6 guys. So far it has about a thousand miles on it and is averaging 10.8 with mixed highway and street driving. I hope it will increase slightly when it gets some more miles on it, but would still like to squeeze every ounce of fuel economy I can out of it. What is the SINGLE best mod I can do to increase the MPG? remember, this is a work truck, please dont suggest thousands of dollars in fancy mods, thanks.
I would think that air intake, exhaust, and a custom tune from someone like Troyer would probably yield the best results.

Other than that, you could change the gearing to a lower ratio like 3.55, install lighter tires and wheels, install underdrive pullies, run higher air pressure in your tires.

I'm not really sure what you were hoping to hear. You are pushing a very heavy truck around with an engine that is better suited for the lighter F150. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
The 5.4 is way too small for a SD, and especially when you are pulling trailers every day. Any mod you make IMO will not provide any tangible results, take a close look at the numbers as to where the results kick in for many of those mods, and more often than not it is in higher RPM ranges....and given you're not worried about things like EGT etc. for a diesel....I'd pocket the cost of any mods and put it towards gas

Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by plunds01
The 5.4 is way too small for a SD, and especially when you are pulling trailers every day. Any mod you make IMO will not provide any tangible results, take a close look at the numbers as to where the results kick in for many of those mods, and more often than not it is in higher RPM ranges....and given you're not worried about things like EGT etc. for a diesel....I'd pocket the cost of any mods and put it towards gas
I agree...those mods will cost more than the gas that they would possible save.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
So you guys don't even think that a tuner such as the superchips, or edge would help? What about exhaust? And by the way, with the 4.10 gears the truck has plenty of power to tow the trailer, you really don't even know its there.

Last edited by LERM; 02-15-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only free modification that might help is bumping up the tire pressures, but only if you are only running them at pressure specified on the door jamb, or if you only check them visually and have no idea what they really are (which means they are probably too low).

Last edited by Spike Engineering; 02-16-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Other than that, you could change the gearing to a lower ratio like 3.55,
You're joking, right? That would KILL his mileage and make the truck even more of a dog.

To the OP, there isn't much you'll be able to do. You've got a small motor pulling a big load every day. Just be happy that you're in double digits.

Old 02-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
You're joking, right? That would KILL his mileage and make the truck even more of a dog.

To the OP, there isn't much you'll be able to do. You've got a small motor pulling a big load every day. Just be happy that you're in double digits.
x2 Zach...

Old 02-16-2008, 01:09 AM

He asked how to improve mileage, not improve power and response. Regardless of what you may think, lower gearing will improve fuel mileage because the engine will run at a lower RPMs at equal speed. I would think that this is basic knowledge. I never said that it would run better, I said it would possibly get better mileage. It amazes me when somebody reads a post and singles out one thing. He was asking for suggestions, and I suggested that "air intake, exhaust, and a custom tune from someone like Troyer would probably yield the best results" but also offered other ideas. If you would stop being such a pompous know-it-all and read the entire post, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to try to embarass someone. Your post sure didn't help him much. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that nothing that he could do would be worth the cost, but that's not what he asked for. Try to be helpful, not hateful.

Last edited by freekyFX4; 02-16-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
If you would stop being such a pompous know-it-all and read the entire post, maybe you wouldn't be so quick to try to embarass someone. Your post sure didn't help him much. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that nothing that he could do would be worth the cost, but that's not what he asked for. Try to be helpful, not hateful.
Easy trigger. I did read the whole post. I also read the part where he said that the truck is TOWING a loaded trailer every day. Going to 3.55s would make the engine work harder while loaded, decreasing the gas mileage. If he was cruising the highway all day long unloaded, then yes, 3.55s would be the way to go.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Easy trigger. I did read the whole post. I also read the part where he said that the truck is TOWING a loaded trailer every day. Going to 3.55s would make the engine work harder while loaded, decreasing the gas mileage. If he was cruising the highway all day long unloaded, then yes, 3.55s would be the way to go.
Lol...note to self. Do not post when I have had about 18 beers. I think the best piece of advice for the original poster is to either live with the bad fuel mileage or trade the truck for one thast gets better mileage.

Have a great weekend guys...I am on beer number three right now.

Freeky out!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 PM
a light right foot..............

Old 02-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Get a diesel!

Old 02-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckDogg
Get a diesel!
Sorry to say it isn't like the old days of getting 20 mpg out of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck.

Now with a diesel and all of the CAFE and other emissions standards, you are lucky to get 11-14 mpg out of a new diesel engine.

Sucks.. but it's life.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Now with a diesel and all of the CAFE and other emissions standards, you are lucky to get 11-14 mpg out of a new diesel engine.
Until they delete the DPF and kitty...

Quick Reply: Best mod for increasing MPG??