F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

04 blew headgaskets

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 blew headgaskets

My bud has an 04 6.0. Has the bully dog chip. Saturday we were racing it a little, well we parked it and it was dripping antifreeze. its was coming out of the cap, so we just figured the cap was faulty. well Sunday he got on it again and its blowing white smoke really really bad, and its missing, running like crap, well at idle, with the coolant cap off, its blowing air bubbles really bad, so i know what that means. He took it to the dealer, took the chip out, left the bully dog sticker on the back window, and told them what happened, well warranty was going to pay until the saw that sticker. now they are denying it, and charging him $3,000. Can they do that?

Old 03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by built54
My bud has an 04 6.0. Has the bully dog chip.

Well that pretty much says it all right there.

He took it to the dealer, took the chip out, left the bully dog sticker on the back window, and told them what happened, well warranty was going to pay until the saw that sticker. now they are denying it, and charging him $3,000. Can they do that?

Are you fawking serious? Of course they can do that and most definetly SHOULD void his powertrain warranty. He screwed the pooch when he put a chip on the truck. It states right in the warranty paperwork that you are in breach of contract when you modifiy the vehicle beyond stock. The warranty is most likely voided and the VIN number for the truck has been red flagged in the OASIS system so as soon as any dealer pulls that VIN up they'll tell him to go pound sand. No more 5yr/100k warranty for him.

Your friend didn't know what he was doing (Bully Dog is one of the worst for the 6.0L) and now gets to pay the piper. The chip flash boiled the coolant in the head stretching the studs. Thats not an easy fix, as either the cab has to come off or the engine has to be pulled.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:14 PM
well the dealer is doing it all for $3k. He didnt know the bully dog was bad, and you cant blame this on him. Too bad ford built a Pi$$ pore engine in 04. I've heard many times that dealers cant deny a repair due to aftermarket parts.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 PM
I've heard many times that dealers cant deny a repair due to aftermarket parts.
Right on the radiator support....

Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 AM
the 6.0 is only desighned to put out around 230hp which is what it puts out in all trucks INTERNATIONAL builds with the 6.0. then ford bumped it up 100hp. then your friend bumped it up another 100...do the math

Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Can they do that?
Yes, they can do it. He modified his truck outside of what Ford designed it to do. It broke. Why should Ford be stuck with the bill?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 AM
ford obviously knew they had a problem with the head gaskets blowing. im not sure if any of you are aware but after the 04 models, they increased the gaskets from 2mm to 6mm because of the know issue if gaskets being blown. Ford needs to prove that the chip caused the problem, and you can easily argue that Ford was aware of their poor design due to the modification in the gasket thickness. However, once you are red flagged in the system, you are **** out of luck. Make sure when Ford fixes your head gaskets, that they install the new thicker gaskets, as well as stronger bolts that wont stretch under high temperatures. Also look into an extended warranty after Ford solves the problem.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I hate to hear that. The head bolts are the wekest link in the 6.0's and the main reason I didn't buy one. Ford really beefed up the 6.4L engine so that they would not have a repeat of what happened with the 6.0's. I have always heard that if you modify a 6.0L, you should swap out the head bolts with studs.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:14 PM
I got ARP studs now

FYI, its not just the early 6.0's prone to HG failure.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Former Sponsor
I work for a ford dealer. They can void the warranty. Why should they pay if you screw up the truck. All the manufacturers are this way. Like RamSS/T pointed out, its written on the truck.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I havent looked at his truck, but the dealer is putting stronger studs and thicker gaskets, they told him these will work well with his chip... like they really know.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
I havent looked at his truck, but the dealer is putting stronger studs and thicker gaskets, they told him these will work well with his chip... like they really know.

so the dealer is supplying these so called stronger studs?

MAKE SURE you are getting ARP racing studs or something equivalent, at this point with the truck tore apart, don't settle for an inferior stud or especially the stretch to yield replacement bolts or you will be doing this all over again. The newer stock head gaskets should be fine however.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:39 PM
The dealer is putting in ARP studs, and the good head gaskets, and putting a 1 year warranty WITH the chip, and a 2 year warranty without the chip. Good service.

Quick Reply: 04 blew headgaskets