F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

My Truck Hard At Work....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Truck Hard At Work....

Here are some pics of my truck hard at work Sat towing my car to a show in Tallahassee....which I took "BEST OF SHOW" at by the way!

(The rear end doesn't actually squat like looks like it is in the picture...it must have been the just the way it was setting since I had just loaded that car or something.)

Old 03-10-2008, 12:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
You really need to fix the squat.

When I had my '99 I towed a Blazer with a bunch scrap parts, and my truck never sat down that far.. It was a double axle with the usual trailer brakes... about the same size trailer.

I can tell you that I should have backed the Blazer on do the engine weight was off the tongue... because I felt a lot of body roll... possibly this is your case.

Not sure though. I've never really had the need to tow cars/trucks... but I know it can get quite tricky, depending on the trailer and the type vehicle you are hauling as to how the rear end will react.

But if you have too much of that weight towards the rear of the trailer you will end up with tons of trailer sway and it might end up flying off or severely jack knifing into your truck, then flip.

You might want to consider some helper springs or possibly a stiffer suspension setup.

My '07 has seen some weight... in it's bed, but not too much with a trailer -- yet. But I'm sure it will be ok. My '99 was freakish at times depending on what I loaded it up with regard to the rear end.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
You really need to fix the squat.

When I had my '99 I towed a Blazer with a bunch scrap parts, and my truck never sat down that far.. It was a double axle with the usual trailer brakes... about the same size trailer.

I can tell you that I should have backed the Blazer on do the engine weight was off the tongue... because I felt a lot of body roll... possibly this is your case.

Not sure though. I've never really had the need to tow cars/trucks... but I know it can get quite tricky, depending on the trailer and the type vehicle you are hauling as to how the rear end will react.

But if you have too much of that weight towards the rear of the trailer you will end up with tons of trailer sway and it might end up flying off or severely jack knifing into your truck, then flip.

You might want to consider some helper springs or possibly a stiffer suspension setup.

My '07 has seen some weight... in it's bed, but not too much with a trailer -- yet. But I'm sure it will be ok. My '99 was freakish at times depending on what I loaded it up with regard to the rear end.

Did you bother to read what I said at the bottom under the pics? It doesn't squat like it looks in the pictures...I am not sure if the ground in the field was uneven or if it was from just loading it but on level ground it doesnt squat at all. The trailer is extreamly well balanced, in fact I can tow it around the yard with a car loaded on it with my Polaris 700 fourwheeler.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 AM

Never mind... I see the problem... the front of the truck was up on a slight incline and the rear end was sitting in a valley, and the trailer axles were sitting on another slight incline...

The picture is wicked deceiving because of the grass.

But looks good.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Too cool, congrats on the best of show award!

Got any near future plans for the superduty?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Reminds me of my truck towing the Mustang in my photo section (pagnew)

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=13915

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-10-2008 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, I see your truck at work, but I hardly think its "hard at work" I venture to think your truck had no problems dragging that thing around.

Good job winning your best in show though.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally Posted by zeroxman1
Well, I see your truck at work, but I hardly think its "hard at work" I venture to think your truck had no problems dragging that thing around
Well thats the job it was bought for and it does it flawlessly!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:06 AM
so whats up with the T/A???

Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
trailer queen? comon... you should be driving that to the shows!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Originally Posted by RightTurn
My thoughts exactly.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Its flawless, ultra rare, and very low milage....thats why its trailored. I have more time in detailing the engine than most of you do in your whole truck...so I am not driving it, thats not what I bought it for. Its on a level above "driven" cars...thus the "Best of Show" award. I go to a show somewhere just about every weekend..usually several hundered miles away, and there is no way I am driving it that far and putting that many miles on it. In fact I am almost to the point of not driving it at all anymore.

Besides I have a Firehawk to drive when I want to drive one.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by RightTurn
That's what I want to do to my Dakota... I want it to be a trailer queen...

Old 03-13-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Here are some pics of my truck hard at work Sat towing my car to a show in Tallahassee....which I took "BEST OF SHOW" at by the way!

(The rear end doesn't actually squat like looks like it is in the picture...it must have been the just the way it was setting since I had just loaded that car or something.)

There's a guy who lives near me who has a car just like that one and he drives it every day to work. I see it every morning.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey Ram....great looking truck!! I'm sure you've been asked this question several times, but how is the ride compared to your f-150. I know its going to be a bit stiff because...well..its a super duty, but is it really that much more of a difference. I've tried to read threads of owners like yourself and Freeky and opinions vary, so I figured I would just ask.

Thanks

Quick Reply: My Truck Hard At Work....