F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

00 PSD, turbo Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
00 PSD, turbo Q

my dads 7.3 has been disappointing me when it comes to hauling anything but itself up a hill. i keep hearing something that i think is turbo surging, between 1700-2500 range. it sounds like a quick "ch ch" sound, im not familiar with turbos but is there a possibility thats chirping or surging? also, over 2500 the truck rapidly falls on its face and usually loses even more speed up the hill. its pretty bad when i think my 4.6 could haul the same load 5mph faster lol.
either way i have no way to watch his boost right now, but sure seems to lose it above 2500. is there a possibility something like the wastegate isnt working properly? would that not allow enough pressure to build?

well, i guess any input on what to look for and possible issues would be great before i make this haul back home.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like surge to me,,,,you could get an ATS ported housing for the turbo and that will stop the surge,,a cheaper alternative is a Wicked Wheel
a good set of guages can help identify a lot of problems...check out Dieselmanor.com they have really good package prices and are a breeze to install

Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like turbo surge. And if you think it does that bad of a job pulling, there is something wrong. Even in its weak stock trim, it should pull circles around any gasser, much less a 4.6.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I dunno, my puny 4.2l has pulled stuff that you wouldn't think a F150 should be able to haul... period. I've pulled heavy stuff with my '99 and was pretty impressed.

But on the contrary, I agree with Brian 5.4 about it. It should be doing cartwheels around any gasser.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:47 AM
what is surge exactly and the cause? i might as well learn what it is and how to fix it since dads trucks here to stay and i want him to feel proud of that **** when he drops the hammer with a trailer.

yes, i think the lil rubber band and gerbil combo 4.6 wound to high hell could have kept up. in fact im almost definate since i hauled a 21ft trailer weighing at 4500#, if i went below 60 i dropped to 2nd and let her wind on the same hills.

im also wondering if maybe i'm havin fuel delivery issues, the truck fell on its face above 2500 and lost speed EMPTY up hill. i know something has to be wrong now. i dont know when the last time i saw black smoke from pinching it was either?

if i were to unbolt the turbo and lay it on a table what should i be looking for? i checked out what i could see of it from the intake tube, those particular blades are in tact and great looking. i just need guidance and i can probably get this thing back to good shape, check out my gallery its not like i cant figure things out lol.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:12 PM
The ATS housing may help, the wicked wheel may help, neither may do a thing, or it may take both to fix it. Each truck is different, so there is no set answer. Your best bet is doing the wheel first as its the cheapest. A free flowing intake and exhaust can help this out too.

If the truck is falling on its face above 2500rpm its probably being sent into defuel mode. It could be from overboost, but unless its got a chip thats pretty unlikely. The wastegate could also be set too light. If you grab the actuator rod and can move it laterally to actuate the gate then its too light. It should take a significant amount of force to move it, though I doubt you'll find this to be your power issue. There could also be issue with the exhaust back pressure sensor. If the tube has become clogged or rotted then that could send a code for defuel. The SP diesel dongle is the best way to fix that. How long has it been since the fuel filter has been changed last? Hopefully only 10-15k ago or less if you have crappy fuel. Get the codes pulled and see if anything is being set.

I really don't think you need to waste any time pulling the turbo. For some reason everybody seems to think that their diesel makes all its power on boost Boost is nothing more than a by-product of fuel. Unless you're having excessive black smoke then your turbo is providing more than enough air to burn the fuel. Come back to the turbo when it starts smoking.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:50 AM
dads superchip has been set on tow/perf or level 2. the filter im not positive but i highly doubt its ever been changed. only 60k on the clock so i doubt it. it also has a 4" complete kit.

from what you've mentioned it sounds like a fuel issue and not the turbo. i didnt try moving the arm by hand but tomorrow i'll hop on the tire and reach to it. im going to want to pull it toward the intake side/into the diaphragm thingymabobber?

i heard the injectors run off of oil pressure? this true? the oil is due for a change, i think that last trip hit the #'s

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
dads superchip has been set on tow/perf or level 2. the filter im not positive but i highly doubt its ever been changed. only 60k on the clock so i doubt it. it also has a 4" complete kit.
Whoa... What filters have never been changed??? Fuel filters are supposed to be every 15K....

Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 PM
i checked, changed at 30k. so its over due.

also on a side issue, this truck sits most of the time, what are the odds of a high moisture climate ruining the glow plugs?

Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 AM
saw this on another forum bickering about lucas in general. im just curious about the PSD part.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm
we run the delo, no lucas additive. if the oil is losing viscosity what does that do to the injectors?

Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
With a stock tuned truck (or with a generic tuner like your SCT) you will not run out of high pressure oil for the injectors. You would know if you did, a check engine light would come on and you would pull a P1211 code. I can set this code at will in my chipped truck, but I do not have big oil. Just remeber diesels run differently than your gasser. They will fall on their face as the revs climb in comparison to a strong gasser that will pull harder as the revs climb. Diesels make their power down low. Just keep that in mind as a comparison.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM
true, i understand diesels are bottom end oriented. i just dont remember the truck fallin after 2500, i mean it feels like it rapidly loses power/speed even empty

so the injector idea's out since that sounds pretty closely monitored by the puter.

my main reason for feeling this way is every hill i hit the truck slowed to 50mph sometimes slower. i just dont remember this truck ever slowing down that much with a similar load.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM
First step I would do is to get your oil tested by Blackstone Labs

Old 03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
aint it hazardous materials? lol

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
aint it hazardous materials? lol
NO!

Quick Reply: 00 PSD, turbo Q