F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

First Oil Change...should I do it or carry it in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Oil Change...should I do it or carry it in?

Its time for the first oil change on my 6.4L and cant descide if i should carry it in and let them do it $85 or if I should do it myself....what do you guys think? I there anything to it? I take 15 quarts and of course a filter...who much are parts? $55-$60? So bascialy I would be letting thme do the dirty work for $20....what do you guys think?

Old 03-21-2008, 01:53 AM
I've always had the dealership do it. Your savings is about the same as 5 gallons of diesel, so you could recoup the costs by not driving about 60 miles next week.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I like doing it on my own, only because I know for absolute sure that my oil is getting changed to spec.

When I used to bring my '99 to the dealer, they'd overfill the oil a little bit and I could tell because of the stench of oil out the exhaust for like 200 miles. Also, they might not change the filter as well, which is a PITA if they don't.

I only brought my truck to the dealer once, and that was for the TPMS sensor. And that IS IT, mainly because it wasn't my problem...

13k later... and a year later.. not a single issue.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I would do it myself. I don't like anyone working on my vehicles unless they have to. I hate the hassle of having to wait for them to do it. I like knowing that it was done correctly. I did all three oil changes on my first 2008 SD myself...and I will do all of the oil changes on my current truck.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:33 AM
To make sure there are no warranty hiccups I have the dealership do it - all motorcraft anyways. For me it's only $39 and my truck takes 7 qrts + filter. Not a bad deal really. When I get home I double check the level and filter...Yes, you can do it too, but make sure you keep all the receipts for the oil and filter so in case anytrhing happens you have some proof.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Just bought my motorcraft oil and filter last night. $53 and change. Bought the combo fuel filter pack from IH yesterday for $36 and change. So I can do both for my 30,000 service for about the same as your oil change. I put a fumoto valve in the first time I did an oil change and that makes it really quick and clean. I keep my reciept's, oil filter box top and receipts from IH in the diesel pamplet that came with the truck. That way nothing else 'accidently' gets broke or unplugged around the engine bay while at the dealer. My wife took in her Escape (out of warrantee) on a Friday for a simple oil change and mysterely a plug under the passenger seat got loose after she got it back. It was showing a flashing air bag light on the dash after a few miles down the road. I had time to research it over the weekend and determined there was no way that plug could of come undone on its on. Had to of been unlatched and then just barely slide back in by human hands. Without it being latched, it was able to fall out while driving down the road.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by harleyrider
Just bought my motorcraft oil and filter last night. $53 and change. Bought the combo fuel filter pack from IH yesterday for $36 and change. So I can do both for my 30,000 service for about the same as your oil change. I put a fumoto valve in the first time I did an oil change and that makes it really quick and clean. I keep my reciept's, oil filter box top and receipts from IH in the diesel pamplet that came with the truck. That way nothing else 'accidently' gets broke or unplugged around the engine bay while at the dealer. My wife took in her Escape (out of warrantee) on a Friday for a simple oil change and mysterely a plug under the passenger seat got loose after she got it back. It was showing a flashing air bag light on the dash after a few miles down the road. I had time to research it over the weekend and determined there was no way that plug could of come undone on its on. Had to of been unlatched and then just barely slide back in by human hands. Without it being latched, it was able to fall out while driving down the road.
?? How's that - my oil change costs $39 and that includes oil/filter/labor??

I have had MANY oil changes done with several Ford vehicles since 1988 and have never had one problem. Sounds like you have a corrupt service department- sorry for you. Did you report it? Seems that a few folks have that problem with any dealer / any brand - glad it hasn't affected me (yet, I guess)

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Pagnew, I was actually responding to the OP and since we have like PSD motors that require more than twice the amount of oil as your's, obviously the cost goes up. RamSS/T asked our opinion, I gave him mine and listed some prices to better inform him as to why I choose to do my own changes. Nothing more, nothing less. As for my wife's bad experience, yes it was handled and I am sure it got about as much attention as if I had told a tree in my yard.
We buy from a smaller family owned dealer now and have had great luck in deal making.
Sorry for you original question getting side tracked RamSS/T!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by harleyrider
Pagnew, I was actually responding to the OP and since we have like PSD motors that require more than twice the amount of oil as your's, obviously the cost goes up. RamSS/T asked our opinion, I gave him mine and listed some prices to better inform him as to why I choose to do my own changes. Nothing more, nothing less. As for my wife's bad experience, yes it was handled and I am sure it got about as much attention as if I had told a tree in my yard.
We buy from a smaller family owned dealer now and have had great luck in deal making.
Sorry for you original question getting side tracked RamSS/T!
My apologies - I stand corrected.

Enjoy the good reading RamSS/T! It's free

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Just make sure that if you change it yourself, you buy CJ-4 oil. Using CI-4 oil will lead to shortened DPF life. CJ-4 was not developed in advance of the new emissions regulations. Actually, the emissions regulations were developed many years ago. The formula for CJ-4 was not finalized until shortly before the release of the 2007 engines. CJ-4 has a different additive package to leave less ash on the DPF. On engines with higher EGR rates the CJ-4 deals with soot suspended in the oil as well. Using CJ-4 oil in a non-ULSD engine will actually result in the oil change interval being cut in half. if you have a 6.4L engine, use CJ-4. If you have an older PSD, use CI-4.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I thought that New 2008 SuperDuties with the 6.4 PowerStroke did not require an oil change till 10,000 mi intervals? You drive alot!.....

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I do mine in 5000 mile intervals and I always do the first one at 2500 miles or less.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I thought that New 2008 SuperDuties with the 6.4 PowerStroke did not require an oil change till 10,000 mi intervals? You drive alot!.....
9,800 and some change....and I dont drive it to work during the week. Most are those are from towing my cars to shows (See why the ******* I tow the WS6 to shows rather than driving it???) Since I dont plan to keep the truck but 2 years following the recommended service intervals is just fine for me....so I am not changing anything more often than I have to.

OK...so can you give me a brief walk through on how you change the filter on it? Is it messy getting it off being its on top of the engine? To be honest I really haven't looked hat close at it, but if its not a major PIA to get the filter off I will probably just do it myself tomorrow. Also somebody can get free post and save me 5min by telling me how much oil it actually does hold....15 correct? What about the fuel filter...where is it? And do you have a link to the IH combo pack mentioned earlier.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
9,800 and some change....and I dont drive it to work during the week. Most are those are from towing my cars to shows (See why the ******* I tow the WS6 to shows rather than driving it???) Since I dont plan to keep the truck but 2 years following the recommended service intervals is just fine for me....so I am not changing anything more often than I have to.

OK...so can you give me a brief walk through on how you change the filter on it? Is it messy getting it off being its on top of the engine? To be honest I really haven't looked hat close at it, but if its not a major PIA to get the filter off I will probably just do it myself tomorrow. Also somebody can get free post and save me 5min by telling me how much oil it actually does hold....15 correct? What about the fuel filter...where is it? And do you have a link to the IH combo pack mentioned earlier.
It's very easy as long as you have the right size wrench for the filter cap. If you don't, a crescent wrench or channel locks will work, but I think that the filter cap takes either a 30mm or 36mm socket.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
It's very easy as long as you have the right size wrench for the filter cap. If you don't, a crescent wrench or channel locks will work, but I think that the filter cap takes either a 30mm or 36mm socket.

Does the filter itself just sit inside the can?

Quick Reply: First Oil Change...should I do it or carry it in?