F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

4x4 F250

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 F250

I got a little problem with my truck. First off, Is my front axle and drive shaft suppose to be turning when the transfer case is in 2H and the hubs are not locked?? My truck starting making a bad vibration in the front end, come to find out both hubs were shot and the drivers side knuckle where it comes out of the axle is loose(maybe bearings???). But my passenger side is turning when Im going down the road(I jacked it up and when I turn the pass. wheel the axle turns without the hubs being locked.) So my question is can I stop the axle from turning so I dont have to worry about the bearing right away or is it suppose to turn. A local 4x4 shop told me to install new hubs and I installed the Warn premium hubs but it did nothing. What do you guys think??

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 AM
First off are you sure the hubs were installed correctly so they can lock/unlock right? Your axle shafts should not be turning with everything unlocked and neither should your driveshaft. If your hubs are really unlocking and the axle shafts and driveshaft is turning then the tcase probably isn't shifting out of 4x4.

From your description its hard to tell exactly what you found thats loose. You say the knuckle where it comes out of the axle is loose. The knuckle attaches to the cast C via the ball joints. Now if you are talking about the axle shaft it will move some where it exits the axle tube since there is no bearing support in that area. To determine if you have a bad wheel bearing assembly jack up the truck and grab the top and bottom of the tire and pull out on the top and push in on the bottom, then vise versa. This will tell you if the wheel bearings have gone bad.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Oh yea im sure because I drove it down the rode without any hubs installed whatsoever just to see.

Someone must have told me wrong about the axle and driveshafts, They said it will always turn no matter what and thats called "friction spinning" but I didnt think that was right.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
So could it be my universal joint thats bad because my wheel does not move at all???

Also, If I jack the front of the truck up, Should I be able to turn the passenger front wheel without the axle shaft turning??? Because I cant and the truck is in 2H and the hubs arent locked.

Quick Reply: 4x4 F250