F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Wow! I tuned the new truck today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
Yeah, I would just leave the engine stock and put gay *** chrome stick on door handle covers on it and about 50 stickers on the back glass and call it a day....unless you dont have the step in the tailgate, then go to WalMart and get one of those hitch reciever mounted steps to finish off the look!
I just spit beer all over my $3000 XPS M1730...thanks RamSS/T! Now it smells like Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA.

Originally Posted by heavy hauler
It does make a big difference, FreekyFX4, doesn't it?
I cant wait for mine to exit the shop so I can put my 1808 back on her. I only ran it in performance tow so I know that I like that one. I wish Mike (Troyer) made one for it as that is what I would have on mine.
But the 1808 does well enough for me.
And whom ever stated that the truck is maxed out from the factory, think again. Unless you know something in the automotive tech. industry that myself and many others don't, you are very wrong.
This truck. like most other vehicles, come from the factory with "safe" PCM/ECM settings. Not maxed out. Some vehicles are manufactured to a "maxed tune" from the factory. High ended sports cars are a example. But rest assured they "ALL" have some room for improvement. If all vehicles came maxed out from the factory then the warranty division's would bankrupt them.
Yes, huge difference. You are right that these trucks are anything but maxed out from the factory. They make them so that they can tow 15,000 pounds or more. If the engine was maxed out from the factory, then as soon as you hooked up a 15,000 pound fifth wheel, then the engine would break. The key to keeping things together is making sure that if you do tow something, to set it back to stock or to a towing tune. Anyone who thinks these things are maxed out from the factory...doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by freekyFX4; 03-23-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Yes, huge difference. You are right that these trucks are anything but maxxed out from the factory. They make them so that they can tow 15,000 pounds or more. If the engine was maxxed out from the factory, then as soon as you hooked up a 15,000 pound fifth wheel, then the engine would break. The key to keeping things together is making sure that if you do to something, to set it back to stock or to a towing tune. Anyone who thinks these things are maxed out from the factory...doesn't have a clue.
x2

Reminds me of my F150... 3500 lbs max towing...

BS - Not with 4.10's and a good clutch or left foot for that matter.

I towed nearly 2x that with my '99. Never a issue... still got 100k out of the stock clutch lining too. Goes to tell you something.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
A rolling JCWhitney catalog... hahahahaha

Not to mention where the pix are taken... Linens n Things... bwhahaha...
Easy Shortie! You would give your left ******** to have a Screw like mine!..............

Old 03-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Easy Shortie! You would give your left ******** to have a Screw like mine!..............
I was just making fun of his joke... not your truck... I was just stirring the fun a little bit.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I would just leave the engine stock and put gay *** chrome stick on door handle covers on it and about 50 stickers on the back glass and call it a day....unless you dont have the step in the tailgate, then go to WalMart and get one of those hitch reciever mounted steps to finish off the look!
The next time I wanna go Pimpin in the City for workin girls, with your psyudo Lincoln LT., rollin on DUBS., Packin half a Best Buy store inside, I'll be sure to give ya a Holla!..........

Old 03-23-2008, 08:49 PM
sounds like you suffer from small truck syndrome...why are you so worried about his warranty? he is a grown man. if he wants to mod his truck, let him.........

Old 03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
The next time I wanna go Pimpin in the City for workin girls, with your psyudo Lincoln LT., rollin on DUBS., Packin half a Best Buy store inside, I'll be sure to give ya a Holla!..........
It's a fake Lincoln Mark LT Best Buy store rollin' on DUBS!

Bhahahahahahahaha

Now... man... damn... that's ultra OWNAGE to the MAX!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by ricedsupercrewman
Well I guess the fact that I dont own that truck anymore is really lost with you so thats cool...look me up, I will see if I can hook you up. And next time I am looking for somebody to pick some tomatoes I will give you a "Holla" too.

Originally Posted by ManualF150
It's a fake Lincoln Mark LT Best Buy store rollin' on DUBS!

Bhahahahahahahaha

Now... man... damn... that's ultra OWNAGE to the MAX!
What do you think "psyudo" means (actually the word is spelled pseudo...but he's stupid so lets over look that)? You are such a f'ing idiot. Didnt you say you were in college for something...is it a college for "special people"? Ricedsupercrew must be your brother...you two have to be related.

I am bowing out now before you guys say something that will hurt my feelings.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I guess the fact that I dont own that truck anymore is really lost with you so thats cool...look me up, I will see if I can hook you up. And next time I am looking for somebody to pick some tomatoes I will give you a "Holla" too.

What do you think "psyudo" means (actually the word is spelled pseudo...but he's stupid so lets over look that)? You are such a f'ing idiot. Didnt you say you were in college for something...is it a college for "special people"? Ricedsupercrew must be your brother...you two have to be related.

I am bowing out now before you guys say something that will hurt my feelings.
Does this mean we can't go rollin lookin for workin girls together????
Ahhhh.....Shucks.............I wanted to roll in the Dub mobile!.....

Old 03-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Contributor

Don't get me wrong... I had to say it... I'm just fooling around.

Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by dirk upson
sounds like you suffer from small truck syndrome...why are you so worried about his warranty? he is a grown man. if he wants to mod his truck, let him.........
I could not give a rats **** if he voids his warranty, which he already did! It's his Dollar not mine when his $50,000 truck pisses a piston out the hood, & Ford laughs at him after they deny his warranty claim......I'll be waiting for that thread..........

Old 03-23-2008, 09:51 PM
it must bother you..................... look at you, all worked up, and stuff...

Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM
Contributor
I like this thread...

Kinda brings more people to this little niche...

Anyhow... I just want to apologize if any of my jokes offended anyone. Like I said, I was only fooling around and didn't directly mean it towards anyone. I was just messing around. I take all blame if either of you felt offended.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 PM
How did this thread go so wrong so fast? I really didn't intend for this to turn into a diatribe about the pros and cons of modding a truck. If some of these half ton guys could see what the hardcore Super Duty modders are doing to their trucks, they would realize just how mild using a handheld tuner is. I haven't changed the intake, as it causes problems with throwing codes. I haven't changed the exhaust, as Ford says that it will cause problems with the DPF. I haven't removed the DPF, but a lot of F250 owners have removed the DPF and used a tuner that turns off the regen cycles. These people who have removed the DPF are reporting that they are regularly getting over 18 MPG from their 08 Super Duty's.

I am still not completely convinced that Ford can conclusively tell when a truck has been modded. And even if they can, it seems that the burden of proof would be on Ford to prove that the problem was caused by the tuner. Regardless, I had my 04 F150 tuned for over 3 years and never had any problems with it at all. I am optimistic that my truck will be fine with the mild tune that the Superchips 1808 provides.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
How did this thread go so wrong so fast? I really didn't intend for this to turn into a diatribe about the pros and cons of modding a truck. If some of these half ton guys could see what the hardcore Super Duty modders are doing to their trucks, they would realize just how mild using a handheld tuner is. I haven't changed the intake, as it causes problems with throwing codes. I haven't changed the exhaust, as Ford says that it will cause problems with the DPF. I haven't removed the DPF, but a lot of F250 owners have removed the DPF and used a tuner that turns off the regen cycles. These people who have removed the DPF are reporting that they are regularly getting over 18 MPG from their 08 Super Duty's.

I am still not completely convinced that Ford can conclusively tell when a truck has been modded. And even if they can, it seems that the burden of proof would be on Ford to prove that the problem was caused by the tuner. Regardless, I had my 04 F150 tuned for over 3 years and never had any problems with it at all. I am optimistic that my truck will be fine with the mild tune that the Superchips 1808 provides.
Personally... I think it's all a bunch of hype.

I'll eat my hat if something does go wrong and Ford dares to even point the blame at the tuner.

What about if I did a tune that moved the top end speed from say 100 mph to 120 mph and not touch the rev limiter? Say my engine decides to go down the drain. How can Ford technically point the blame at the tuner? They can't... because it had nothing to do with the engine blowing up, because the factory rev limiter was in place... and speed... heck, 120 mph with 4.10's would yield me at under 4,000 rpms... well within the specs of the engine.

I say you are fine Freeky.

Quick Reply: Wow! I tuned the new truck today!