F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Wow! I tuned the new truck today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I say you are fine Freeky.
Thanks ManualF150, I guess only time will tell.

The good news is, my fuel mileage seems to be creeping back up too. My old F250 regularly got 14 MPG with around town normal driving with the tune installed. My new truck has averaged about 12.5 MPG without the tune in the 2000 miles that I have had it. Now it seems to have gone up at least 1 MPG. I will check to see what it actually is when I fill up this week. An increase of 2 MPG equates to an extra 56 miles per tank or 4 gallons of fuel. If that is the case, the tuner will pay for itself in about 25 tanks of fuel. I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:18 AM
good luck with the tuner man i only wish i colud afford that truck i think you be fine and anyone who is scared to run a tuner well then do put one on your truck and leave the MEN who do alone to do it that diesel will handle it just fine

Old 03-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Curious to see what a 0-60 time / 1/4 mile time would be. Running mine last year saw 0-60 in 8.1 secs and the 1/4 in 16.1 @ 85mph. Not bad for a stock 4X4 gasser!
The other day a 2500 Duramax and I went at it and I pulled 2 truck lengths on him by the time we got to 80mph

Old 03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
How did this thread go so wrong so fast? I really didn't intend for this to turn into a diatribe about the pros and cons of modding a truck. If some of these half ton guys could see what the hardcore Super Duty modders are doing to their trucks, they would realize just how mild using a handheld tuner is. I haven't changed the intake, as it causes problems with throwing codes. I haven't changed the exhaust, as Ford says that it will cause problems with the DPF. I haven't removed the DPF, but a lot of F250 owners have removed the DPF and used a tuner that turns off the regen cycles. These people who have removed the DPF are reporting that they are regularly getting over 18 MPG from their 08 Super Duty's.

I am still not completely convinced that Ford can conclusively tell when a truck has been modded. And even if they can, it seems that the burden of proof would be on Ford to prove that the problem was caused by the tuner. Regardless, I had my 04 F150 tuned for over 3 years and never had any problems with it at all. I am optimistic that my truck will be fine with the mild tune that the Superchips 1808 provides.
Agreed. Adding a superchips tuner is about as mild as throwing on a DPF back exhaust. That is nothing like a SCT with custom tunes, a compound turbo setup, eliminating cats, EGRs, and DPFs. Freeky wasn't asking y'all if he should mod his truck, he was letting y'all know that he did and thoroughly enjoyed it.
But, on a side note, after problems with the 6.0 you can bet Ford will be watching the 6.4 much more closely. And, even a mild tune can significantly alter the programming of a stock engine, and even a stock engine can have serious problems if driven abusively (many stock 6.0s blew head gaskets). But I'm not saying don't tune your truck, I'm about to do it come May once i get some cash, but know the risks involved, and be sure your dealer loves you <3.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 AM
...and as a side not, the JC Whitney ad is currently playing on the bottom of this page...

Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Curious to see what a 0-60 time / 1/4 mile time would be. Running mine last year saw 0-60 in 8.1 secs and the 1/4 in 16.1 @ 85mph. Not bad for a stock 4X4 gasser!
The other day a 2500 Duramax and I went at it and I pulled 2 truck lengths on him by the time we got to 80mph
Was he racing you? A stock Dmax will run low to mid 15's and thats a 4x4 Crew Cab. If you outran one to 80 I don't think he was racing, esp. if you run a 16.1.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Was he racing you? A stock Dmax will run low to mid 15's and thats a 4x4 Crew Cab. If you outran one to 80 I don't think he was racing, esp. if you run a 16.1.
Yes - he was definately racing and not too happy (alright, maybe a truck and half then - but I beat him!). His was 4X4 too and I haven't seen a 100% stock one run under 16.4 at the track. The mid-15's are for 4X2's as I witnessed that at the track - but no 4X4 Crew for sure....The fastest 4X4 Diesel that night was a Cummins at 15.9 at 86mph and his was a single cab.

It was what it was - sorry if your Chevy's feelings were hurt, but it was a good spankin'

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-24-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
You are such a f'ing idiot. Didnt you say you were in college for something...is it a college for "special people"? Ricedsupercrew must be your brother...you two have to be related.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes - he was definately racing and not too happy (alright, maybe a truck and half then - but I beat him!). His was 4X4 too and I haven't seen a 100% stock one run under 16.4 at the track. The mid-15's are for 4X2's as I witnessed that at the track - but no 4X4 Crew for sure....The fastest 4X4 Diesel that night was a Cummins at 15.9 at 86mph and his was a single cab.

It was what it was - sorry if your Chevy's feelings were hurt, but it was a good spankin'
Well you must have some slow trucks around, If they are launching in 4wd, they will run well into the 15's, but it also depends on the year, the 01-04 LB7's are not the fastet but still faster than a F1. I'm not a chevy guy, I'm a Ford Tech, but I will tell you that the GM's will walk all over the Ford full size line, the 5.3 vs 5.4 is a joke and the 6.6 vs. 6.0 is too, I can admit they are faster, I don't get distraught though. Its a shame Ford can't get the 3v's to go anywhere, my 98 220bhp 4x4 4.6L has embarassed ALOT of newer 3v's and older 5.4's, and the weight is a good arguement, but my truck tips the scales at over 5800lbs each trip, so the 80 hp and 100 tq should be plenty to make up for the small diff. in weight. It is sad to me, all the money that went into the 3v, when they had a 2v and a 4v, both fit in the trucks and far outdo the 3v, but they get their *** handed to them by every fullsize out there, and even OBS F-150's. Utter Stupidity IMAO.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
Well you must have some slow trucks around, If they are launching in 4wd, they will run well into the 15's, but it also depends on the year, the 01-04 LB7's are not the fastet but still faster than a F1. I'm not a chevy guy, I'm a Ford Tech, but I will tell you that the GM's will walk all over the Ford full size line, the 5.3 vs 5.4 is a joke and the 6.6 vs. 6.0 is too, I can admit they are faster, I don't get distraught though. Its a shame Ford can't get the 3v's to go anywhere, my 98 220bhp 4x4 4.6L has embarassed ALOT of newer 3v's and older 5.4's, and the weight is a good arguement, but my truck tips the scales at over 5800lbs each trip, so the 80 hp and 100 tq should be plenty to make up for the small diff. in weight. It is sad to me, all the money that went into the 3v, when they had a 2v and a 4v, both fit in the trucks and far outdo the 3v, but they get their *** handed to them by every fullsize out there, and even OBS F-150's. Utter Stupidity IMAO.
As mentioned - it was what it was. I disagree about the GM's walking all over the Ford full size line (at least in '06) - for me the 8.1L 2500 wasn't as good as the 6.8L 3V V10 when I test drove it. That's why I opted for the F250.

Anyway, I see what I see at the track and that's proof enough. I have never launched in four wheel drive so maybe my #'s would be better too...I read too much BS online that say this or that is the 'best' - BS because that isn't what's always happening on the street - or what's 'supposed to' happen on the street. So many variables to take into account (year, gearing, tuners, 'did he spool his turbo or not' ,etc. etc.) it's hard to make anything absolute.

But, hey - it's America and we can agree to disagree.

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-24-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:33 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
As mentioned - it was what it was. I disagree about the GM's walking all over the Ford full size line (at least in '06) - for me the 8.1L 2500 wasn't as good as the 6.8L 3V V10 when I test drove it. That's why I opted for the F250.

Anyway, I see what I see at the track and that's proof enough. I have never launched in four wheel drive so maybe my #'s would be better too...I read too much BS online that say this or that is the 'best' - BS because that isn't what's always happening on the street - or what's 'supposed to' happen on the street. So many variables to take into account (year, gearing, tuners, 'did he spool his turbo or not' ,etc. etc.) it's hard to make anything absolute.

But, hey - it's America and we can agree to disagree.
Reminds me of some people poking fun at the 4.2l v6. Some say its a dog, some say it's fantastic.

Different strokes for different folks.

You are right; it's American and WE can agree to disagree.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Yeah....one of the best looking ones on here in the opinion of a lot of people....but it certainly didn't compare to this rolling JCWhitney catalog:

I think there is room left on the front fender to stick something. Some of those fake vent things would fit right in with the rest of the truck!
LOL!!!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
How did this thread go so wrong so fast? I really didn't intend for this to turn into a diatribe about the pros and cons of modding a truck. If some of these half ton guys could see what the hardcore Super Duty modders are doing to their trucks, they would realize just how mild using a handheld tuner is. I haven't changed the intake, as it causes problems with throwing codes. I haven't changed the exhaust, as Ford says that it will cause problems with the DPF. I haven't removed the DPF, but a lot of F250 owners have removed the DPF and used a tuner that turns off the regen cycles. These people who have removed the DPF are reporting that they are regularly getting over 18 MPG from their 08 Super Duty's.

I am still not completely convinced that Ford can conclusively tell when a truck has been modded. And even if they can, it seems that the burden of proof would be on Ford to prove that the problem was caused by the tuner. Regardless, I had my 04 F150 tuned for over 3 years and never had any problems with it at all. I am optimistic that my truck will be fine with the mild tune that the Superchips 1808 provides.
Don't worry about what the haters have to say, just enjoy what you spent your hard worked for dollars on.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:16 PM
?

Try again...use the current truck please:

BTW I didn't notice the chrome door edge molding.....SEXY!!!
i'm sure he picked those up on his weekly trip to walmart too:lol

Old 03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, this thread has gone astray!

Quick Reply: Wow! I tuned the new truck today!