F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Pictures of my blown up 6.4l Diesel '08

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pagnew
FreekyFX4 - you shouldn't put grenades in the trucks your tradin' in. Other folks have to drive them after they buy 'em you know....shame on you!
Actually Bosch put the grenade in there in the form of an injector.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Is it seriously your old truck? That would be FREAKY! Have them throw a V10 gas in there since gas is a lot cheaper than diesel these days
Yeah, it is. I knew it as soon as I saw the truck, saw that he was in Nashville, saw that it had 12,000 miles on it, and saw that he had just bought it. I really did baby that truck, but there may have been hints of the issue when I had it. I noticed that the truck would buck violently when I would open it up on the interstate. When I firsts bought the truck, the boost would swing all the way to 40 lbs. After a while, when I would open it up, it would get to about 35 lbs then it would buck and shudder violently. It might have been the start of this issue. I took it to the dealer and was told that my truck would "have to get in line" behind all the other diesel trucks that were waiting for the one diesel mechanic to "get around to fixing them". They said that it could be a week or two just for the diesel tech to look at the truck. I told them that I could not be without a vehicle for that amount of time. I did the same with my new F250...the engine has a squeak that has the same frequency as the engine RPM. The squeak only occurs when the truck is cold...once it warms up, the squeak goes away. I took it to a different Ford dealer and was told the same thing. I could leave it, but it would be at least a week before they could even look at it and it may not be anything at all. I told them that I needed a vehicle to get to work, and they said that I should just wait until something failed. I guess time will tell. It seems like Ford dealers are so shorthanded when it comes to diesel techs that they are not doing the small maintenance when it comes in, so they are having to replace engines when they blow up.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Yeah, it is. I knew it as soon as I saw the truck, saw that he was in Nashville, saw that it had 12,000 miles on it, and saw that he had just bought it. I really did baby that truck, but there may have been hints of the issue when I had it. I noticed that the truck would buck violently when I would open it up on the interstate. When I firsts bought the truck, the boost would swing all the way to 40 lbs. After a while, when I would open it up, it would get to about 35 lbs then it would buck and shudder violently. It might have been the start of this issue. I took it to the dealer and was told that my truck would "have to get in line" behind all the other diesel trucks that were waiting for the one diesel mechanic to "get around to fixing them". They said that it could be a week or two just for the diesel tech to look at the truck. I told them that I could not be without a vehicle for that amount of time. I did the same with my new F250...the engine has a squeak that has the same frequency as the engine RPM. The squeak only occurs when the truck is cold...once it warms up, the squeak goes away. I took it to a different Ford dealer and was told the same thing. I could leave it, but it would be at least a week before they could even look at it and it may not be anything at all. I told them that I needed a vehicle to get to work, and they said that I should just wait until something failed. I guess time will tell. It seems like Ford dealers are so shorthanded when it comes to diesel techs that they are not doing the small maintenance when it comes in, so they are having to replace engines when they blow up.
Well the good thing is there will be a new 6.4 in there that hopefully is a fixed version I know what he was talking about with the gas those diesels pack a BIG punch with the torque Had a friend with a Duramax + Allison trans and that thing hauled ***! Also had a friend with the 7.3 powerstroke and same goes for that!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally Posted by CRF250rider1000
Well the good thing is there will be a new 6.4 in there that hopefully is a fixed version I know what he was talking about with the gas those diesels pack a BIG punch with the torque Had a friend with a Duramax + Allison trans and that thing hauled ***! Also had a friend with the 7.3 powerstroke and same goes for that!
The Duramax w/Allsion tranny is one I was looking at prior to this truck. Just couldn't pay the asking price for it because it said Chevrolet/GMC.
I have heard many good things about it though.
As to the wait time on the repairs, you actually did me a favor there. Had they just "band"aid" fixed it, a new engine might not be going in there.
I have a hunch that they will be hiring many more diesel tech around town. This is not the first '08 with issues to come through there lately. Ford knows this also.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by heavy hauler
As to the wait time on the repairs, you actually did me a favor there. Had they just "band"aid" fixed it, a new engine might not be going in there.
I have a hunch that they will be hiring many more diesel tech around town. This is not the first '08 with issues to come through there lately. Ford knows this also.
When I took my current F250 to Two Rivers Ford for the engine squeak, they had three other Super Duty's sitting outside the shop and they said that there were two other diesel trucks on the lifts and that the one diesel tech just couldn't keep up. You would think that with NADC (Nashville Auto Diesel College) here in town, that they would have lots of guys willing to work as an apprentice and help get those things fixed. I am not too worried about my squeak, but I was taking it in for an alignment and figured I would mention it.

Also, my truck was built in March of 2007. The truck has 2200 miles on it now. The oil that is in the engine now is the original oil that came from the factory. I asked the service writer if this was a problem and he acted like I was an idiot. He said that the oil would be fine until the recommended oil change interval. It may take me another 8 months to get that many miles on the truck.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
The truck has 2200 miles on it now. The oil that is in the engine now is the original oil that came from the factory. I asked the service writer if this was a problem and he acted like I was an idiot. He said that the oil would be fine until the recommended oil change interval. It may take me another 8 months to get that many miles on the truck.
Interesting... you do know that oil in any engine is not supposed to be in the block for more than 3 months, right?

When it is mixed with the tiny amount of fuel and by products of combustion, with time, it deteriorates the oil. Even synthetic and dino oil.

If you leave it in longer than 3 months, you are essentially running with old oil, which is worse than going over your mileage. Every month that the engine oil is in there, divide your sheduled oil change mileage interval by 3, and then subtract that from the current mileage from the current month.

Something like this:

Diesels: 10,000 mile interval oil changes...

10,000/3=3,333 miles

So say your odometer reads 2200 miles. And you've had the original oil in for 2 months.

3,333*2=6,666 miles
6,666+2,200=8,866 miles
8,866-2200=1,134 miles

So basically, if this was exactly the first of the second month, you would have only 1 month or 1,134 miles left to change the oil to keep it in good standing.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Interesting... you do know that oil in any engine is not supposed to be in the block for more than 3 months, right?

When it is mixed with the tiny amount of fuel and by products of combustion, with time, it deteriorates the oil. Even synthetic and dino oil.

If you leave it in longer than 3 months, you are essentially running with old oil, which is worse than going over your mileage. Every month that the engine oil is in there, divide your sheduled oil change mileage interval by 3, and then subtract that from the current mileage from the current month.

Something like this:

10,000/3=3,333 miles

So say your odometer reads 2200 miles. And you've had the original oil in for 2 months.

3,333*2=6,666 miles
6,666+2,200=8,866 miles
8,866-2200=1,134 miles

So basically, if this was exactly the first of the second month, you would have only 1 month or 1,134 miles left to change the oil to keep it in good standing.
Yes I understand, which was why I asked about the oil having been in the engine for a YEAR. He said that it would be fine and that Ford puts some sort of stabilizers in the factory oil because they know that the truck may be on the lot for a while...

Old 03-29-2008, 02:29 PM

Yes I understand, which was why I asked about the oil having been in the engine for a YEAR. He said that it would be fine and that Ford puts some sort of stabilizers in the factory oil because they know that the truck may be on the lot for a while...
True it does to an extent...

I feel that you kind of got the wrong end of it... I was merely pointing out that the guy who told you that was a liar.

I knew you were smarter than that...

Old 03-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Suspended

Something like this:

10,000/3=3,333 miles

3,333*2=6,666 miles
6,666+2,200=8,866 miles
8,866-2200=1,134 miles

Mobil 1 Says their synthetic oils are good for 6 months, Amsiol claims 1 year

Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by heavy hauler
The Duramax w/Allsion tranny is one I was looking at prior to this truck. Just couldn't pay the asking price for it because it said Chevrolet/GMC.
I have heard many good things about it though.
The 2500 Duramax was sold with under 10k miles on it due to NUMEROUS heater issues that wouldn't go away
I try to change my oil every 3k miles. I should be out for summer here May 1st, so then the truck will get some good use

Old 03-30-2008, 07:21 PM
True it does to an extent...

I feel that you kind of got the wrong end of it... I was merely pointing out that the guy who told you that was a liar.

I knew you were smarter than that...
I changed it today. It was bugging the crap out of me, so now there's 15 new quarts of Motorcraft 15W40 CJ-4 oil in the engine.

Here's the weird thing. Both times I changed the oil in my old truck, the subject of this thread that blew up, there was always a couple extra quarts of oil in the engine when I drained it. There was at least 17 quarts of oil both times instead of the normal 15 quarts. Well, today when I drained my oil, there was just a little less than the normal 15 quarts of oil. Granted both of the oil changes on my old truck were done with 6,000 miles on the oil and not 2,000 miles like the oil I changed today, but I still suspect that the injector may have been failing all along and dumping fuel into the crankcase.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:00 PM
That may be the case however I feel we will never know the truth. I am sure FOMOCO will never tell the "truth" about the actual cause/problem.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I changed it today. It was bugging the crap out of me, so now there's 15 new quarts of Motorcraft 15W40 CJ-4 oil in the engine.

Here's the weird thing. Both times I changed the oil in my old truck, the subject of this thread that blew up, there was always a couple extra quarts of oil in the engine when I drained it. There was at least 17 quarts of oil both times instead of the normal 15 quarts. Well, today when I drained my oil, there was just a little less than the normal 15 quarts of oil. Granted both of the oil changes on my old truck were done with 6,000 miles on the oil and not 2,000 miles like the oil I changed today, but I still suspect that the injector may have been failing all along and dumping fuel into the crankcase.
A oil test from Blackstone could tell you if that really is fuel in your oil...

Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Zaairman
A oil test from Blackstone could tell you if that really is fuel in your oil...

x2

Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 AM
x2
Just recieved my blackstone kit today. It will still be a month before I have the oil changed but it will be interesting to see the results...Thanks again Zaairman for posting that some time ago.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my blown up 6.4l Diesel '08