F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Pictures of my blown up 6.4l Diesel '08

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Interesting... you do know that oil in any engine is not supposed to be in the block for more than 3 months, right?

When it is mixed with the tiny amount of fuel and by products of combustion, with time, it deteriorates the oil. Even synthetic and dino oil.

If you leave it in longer than 3 months, you are essentially running with old oil, which is worse than going over your mileage. Every month that the engine oil is in there, divide your sheduled oil change mileage interval by 3, and then subtract that from the current mileage from the current month.

Something like this:

Diesels: 10,000 mile interval oil changes...

10,000/3=3,333 miles

So say your odometer reads 2200 miles. And you've had the original oil in for 2 months.

3,333*2=6,666 miles
6,666+2,200=8,866 miles
8,866-2200=1,134 miles

So basically, if this was exactly the first of the second month, you would have only 1 month or 1,134 miles left to change the oil to keep it in good standing.

Funny you should mention that. I was at a bike show today and talke dto an AMSoil rep. He said he got involved with amsoil 25 years ago and had a vehicle with 250000 kms on it with 3 oil changes! Another one with 400 000 kms and 9 oil changes. These were hondas, as he only owns hondas, but the facts (B/S) that he was telling us was kind of interesting.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by The professor
I find this very interesting since Freaky had a tuner on it before he traded it. Maybe all this talk about how ford can tell if you have a tuner is just a scare tactic.

As I and many others have stated in the past, its not a guarantee that you're going to get nailed when you take your truck in. Its all dependant on how far the tech is willing to dig to find the info, but rest assured that it IS in there. The thing is that most techs are paid X dollars on a given job regardless of how long it takes them. The longer it takes the less they make. For smaller things a tech is probably not going to take the time to dig to find the info, but on high dollar items like this the chances are higher. The other thing is some dealers are ALOT more mod friendly than others. Some just flat out don't care what you do to your truck, but others will void your warranty if you put a sticker on the windshield.

Its all luck of the draw, and if you're willing to gamble with the warranty on a new $50k truck.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Interesting... you do know that oil in any engine is not supposed to be in the block for more than 3 months, right?

When it is mixed with the tiny amount of fuel and by products of combustion, with time, it deteriorates the oil. Even synthetic and dino oil.

If you leave it in longer than 3 months, you are essentially running with old oil, which is worse than going over your mileage. Every month that the engine oil is in there, divide your sheduled oil change mileage interval by 3, and then subtract that from the current mileage from the current month.

Something like this:

Diesels: 10,000 mile interval oil changes...

10,000/3=3,333 miles

So say your odometer reads 2200 miles. And you've had the original oil in for 2 months.

3,333*2=6,666 miles
6,666+2,200=8,866 miles
8,866-2200=1,134 miles

So basically, if this was exactly the first of the second month, you would have only 1 month or 1,134 miles left to change the oil to keep it in good standing.

I have never heard of that in my 32 years in the buisness. most people do the mileage before the time. but in my case I only drive about 5K a year. all I use is mobil one in my vehicles. is that info documented somewhere?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by The professor
sure they talk about all the sensors but are they actually in the trucks? I've known a handfull of people that run tuners on their truck and when they take them in they just take them off and the dealer has never voided the warranty.
your right.... my dad does that with moms 04 psd... they cant tell... but on the new ones they can...

all the chip manufactures are gunna go broke... casue most people arnt gunna buy a chip if it voids the warranty...

they will have to make something so the computer cant find it... but that is beyond my brain powers

Old 04-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fomoco needs to get off their high horse and promote aftermarket, or at least be less of a stickler about it.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Klitch
fomoco needs to get off their high horse and promote aftermarket, or at least be less of a stickler about it.
Why? There are tons of idiots out there who will strap on a crappy tuner, dump in too much fuel, and melt a piston or 3. Why should Ford have to pay for that?

Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 PM
well not all the people who do dump in chips melt pistons... not all of them are dumb... but some are... and that is y there is voids on warrantys now... casue all the dumbass's that do think that nothing will happen... and it does... ford is smart for the void warranty deal... but they need to allow it on people who no what there doing... but i dont know how they would depict between the two... i mean the people who no what a chip might do to the engine... and the people who just want more power and will melt it down...

Old 04-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Why? There are tons of idiots out there who will strap on a crappy tuner, dump in too much fuel, and melt a piston or 3. Why should Ford have to pay for that?
i personally would love to see people be able to modify their vehicles MILDLY and not have to fear the f'n mfg/dealer.
i was honestly thinking more along the lines of being less of a stickler for certain products which ARE mild. especially the gas world where these little tuners dont do a whole hell of a lot but they still bitch n moan at you for having it on there.

Quick Reply: Pictures of my blown up 6.4l Diesel '08