F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Questions about 99 f250 and fx4

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about 99 f250 and fx4

Im looking at a 99 f250 with the 7.3. And it has a FX4 decal on it. When did Ford start making those? Wondering bc I went to blue book it and they didnt have the fx4 option to check.

Also, what miles are yall getting out of the 7.3. This one has around 160,000 now, and it also has a 6" lift if that makes a difference. Also, is there any certain thing I should look out for before I buy?

Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Someone put an FX4 sticker on it, you don't have one. Regardless an FX4 is nothing more than the old offroad package. Its just very bad Rancho look alike shocks, a couple skid plates.

If its been well taken care of then it should be fine. Just check for excessive blowby, dirt in the intake tract, pitted or worn turbo impeller fins, etc. If its an auto trans and its got larger tires and wasn't regeared then the trans probably isn't log for this world.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess the 2006 models got lucky and recieved real Rancho shocks (probably bottom of the line as they could be better). Did earlier models really have 'look alike' shocks?

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-30-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
I guess the 2006 models got lucky and recieved real Rancho shocks (probably bottom of the line as they could be better). Did earlier models really have 'look alike' shocks?

do you mean motocraft with rancho stickers?

I am swapping to Bilstiens.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:25 PM
Rancho wouldn't let their name be disgraced like that Motorcraft doesn't know how to make proper stiff shocks anyway . But - I am getting a set of the RS9000XL's next month, understand they are a good shock - I have also heard good stuff about the Bilsteins, but have been a die-hard fan of Rancho's since the late 80's. I have KYB on my 'stang, but don't know anything about them for off-road trucks (just Rally Cars) so....

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-30-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by Pagnew
Rancho wouldn't let their name be disgraced like that Motorcraft doesn't know how to make proper stiff shocks anyway . But - I am getting a set of the RS9000XL's next month, understand they are a good shock - I have also heard good stuff about the Bilsteins, but have been a die-hard fan of Rancho's since the late 80's. I have KYB on my 'stang, but don't know anything about them for off-road trucks (just Rally Cars) so....
the 9K's are pretty good, the adjustments are nice to have, but if you tow a lot, the Bilsteins are the way to go.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
the 9K's are pretty good, the adjustments are nice to have, but if you tow a lot, the Bilsteins are the way to go.
Yeah, I am off-road quite a bit and ride some highway (just like other folks) and don't tow heavy stuff a whole lot. The adjustablity factor seems cool. I'll get y'all a review after I get them on and try them out.

If I did tow alot I'd probably opt for a different shock such as the Bilsteins like you described - but heck, if I towed heavy stuff alot I'd probably have the diesel too.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:45 PM
The "Rancho" shocks are nothing more than crappy stock shocks with Rancho stickers, and to top it off the boots aren't even rubber, but are hard plastic. The FX4 with Rancho parts was nothing more than a marketing gimick on Ford's part. About the only good part was the addition of a LS and if you had a gas engine some deeper gears. Both of those can be spec'd out without the rest of the FX4 garbage for much less.

I have the RS9000 shocks on my truck with the adjustable option. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!! I got the air adjust kit for free with mine when I ordered then and they would not hold air pressure for more than a few hours. I had to constantly keep pumping them up even while going down the road. I tried many times unsuccessfully to seal them, in the end the cheap plastic fittings they give you to use are just junk. I eventually pulled it off the truck and threw it away except for the compressor. I still have the shocks on the truck with the manual adjust ***** on them, and I'm still very disappointed. If I was doing it over again I'd just go with Bilsteins, and if you've got the cash get the set that is valved specifically for the SD. Rancho stuff simply isn't worth the money.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73
The "Rancho" shocks are nothing more than crappy stock shocks with Rancho stickers, and to top it off the boots aren't even rubber, but are hard plastic. The FX4 with Rancho parts was nothing more than a marketing gimick on Ford's part. About the only good part was the addition of a LS and if you had a gas engine some deeper gears. Both of those can be spec'd out without the rest of the FX4 garbage for much less.

I have the RS9000 shocks on my truck with the adjustable option. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!! I got the air adjust kit for free with mine when I ordered then and they would not hold air pressure for more than a few hours. I had to constantly keep pumping them up even while going down the road. I tried many times unsuccessfully to seal them, in the end the cheap plastic fittings they give you to use are just junk. I eventually pulled it off the truck and threw it away except for the compressor. I still have the shocks on the truck with the manual adjust ***** on them, and I'm still very disappointed. If I was doing it over again I'd just go with Bilsteins, and if you've got the cash get the set that is valved specifically for the SD. Rancho stuff simply isn't worth the money.
Wow - you're the first person out of around 20 or so that obviously hates them . Oh well...I will do more research about them though . Might have to go with the RSX versions...

The 4X4 shock felt different (soft) than the FX4 shock (stiff) when I test drove both trucks on the field next to the dealership so I know that they were different at least.

Rancho is a company well respected in the industry so I really don't know what to say. I have had them on my Bronco and Jeeps and really liked them. Also, according to Rancho the shocks supplied for the FX4 are indeed a Rancho (designed) shock.

I do not want the air-adjust though - just the manual *****.

Last edited by Pagnew; 03-30-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by powerstroke73

You forgot to mention the skid plates -

Thanks for your opinion though!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
replaced my "ranchos" for fox shocks and love them.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 AM
FX4 wasn't an option on the SDs until 2003 but like mentioned, back then it wasn't anything special. It is an actual trim level now like XL, XLT, and Lariat.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
FX4 wasn't an option on the SDs until 2003 but like mentioned, back then it wasn't anything special. It is an actual trim level now like XL, XLT, and Lariat.
I find it funny how many trim levels there are...

Why can't it be just XL, XLT and Lariat?

Now they've got King Ranch, FX4, etc...

I still like the F250 XL Supercab....

Old 03-31-2008, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I find it funny how many trim levels there are...

Why can't it be just XL, XLT and Lariat?

Now they've got King Ranch, FX4, etc...

I still like the F250 XL Supercab....

you think Ford is complicated, try GM trucks...you need a Option Degree to figure those out.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
you think Ford is complicated, try GM trucks...you need a Option Degree to figure those out.
Yeah... you can say that again...

Then again, if you know it's going to take a graduate level person to understand the logic that GM implies behind their sales process... then you should know better not to buy one, because the maintainance is going to need a person with a PHD.

Quick Reply: Questions about 99 f250 and fx4