F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Thought about programmers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thought about programmers...

Hmm...I just had a thought, not sure if it would work or not, but I wonder.

A major concern with using tuners on modern diesels seems to revolve around the dealer being able to tell if the vehicle has been "modified" in any way, including the software in the engine controller. A completely understandable situation when you consider how expensive it would be to have your warranty voided...

So, what if you bought an extra engine computer? I know that is probably an extra $1000, but that would be cheap compared to a busted engine/tranny with no warranty.

Seriously, why couldn't someone buy an extra computer, install or have it installed in their truck and set it to whatever performance tune, dpf delete, whatever they wanted, and keep the original computer in completely stock form? If there was ever a problem, regardless of rather they felt like their mods caused the issue or not, simply swap the computers before going (or being towed) to the dealership. Of course they would have to remove any other addons they had, but as far as I understand that is not the problem for the most part. Getting rid of the nanny computer is.

Any thoughts?

Mike

Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM
the thing alot of you ppl dont realize is when something goes wrong with your truck and you return the pcm to stock and bring it to the dealer you erase alot of important info needed to propely diag. the problem. Personally as a tech that pisses me off...

Old 04-02-2008, 09:07 PM
The problem will be if you do have a problem any DTCs set will be stored on your old PCM. When you take it in and the dealer can't readily reproduce the problem they'll send you home and say nothing is wrong since they won't have the evidence of the failure.

The other problem is that if the tech suspects something is wrong they can dig into the memory and look at the time/date stamps. They'll see that there is basically no info logged in between the last stop at the dealer. That'll tell them right there that the PCM had been swapped. They may not void your warranty, but they might (and this is what I'd do) is save the PCM log files and ask you to find another dealer. They might possibly flag the truck in OASIS.

The reality of chipping a diesel thats under warranty is that you're playing with fire and you have to accept that. Sure nothing may happen, sure you could sneak something by a dealer (not ethical, but it happens all the time), but if something does break and the dealer calls you on the floor about it be ready to man up and pay the repair or let the truck sit.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The dealer appreciates your thievery with a crazy plan like this.

Gotta pay to play. If something breaks as a result of a modification you performed, why should the manufacturer/dealer have to fix it on their dollar?

Quick Reply: Thought about programmers...